PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Back From the dead. Nvidia won't install thread.

silvesj
September 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
So i had posted this a few months ago. And my understanding at the time was that nVidia was not supporting Linux drivers. But a few months later I am dying to have linux on my asus laptop. After install on reboot after grub and the OS splash screen, the screen goes black. Is there anyway to fix this, or are there updated drivers yet?

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
sure it can be fixed, it's Linux!

on reboot after grub you say, so you get the grub menu:: of different kernels to start?, and you choose?, then it goes south?

Have you already worked with editing a given grub selection, and adding /switches like nomodeset?

realzippy
September 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1657660

silvesj
September 3rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
I have done that, but then you lose the unity interface. Which is not necessary but would be nice. Because then the graphics (unity or not) just has a bloated look. :(

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
what does
sudo lshw -C display show?

silvesj
September 12th, 2011, 01:12 AM
what does
sudo lshw -C display show?

Sorry it took me so long to post but I was out of town. This is what i get returned....
PCI (sysfs)

Right now I am in Linux with nomodeset. But I just had the way the display looks. Any way around this?

**UPDATE: I installed nVidia drivers via the hardware drivers tool. It now allows me to boot in normal minus nomodeset. but then boots to an interface without unity, and still looks like nomodeset.

wadd92
September 12th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I found the drivers from Nvidia's official website work better. Download them and hit ctrl+alt+1 and disable x server and install. Installing from the additional drivers and synaptic package manager didnt work properly for me (unity worked but low screen resoloution) but the ones from nvidia's website worked perfectly

realzippy
September 12th, 2011, 07:46 AM
post output from

lspci | grep VGA

@wadd92

manually installing nvidia-drivers has the disadvantage that you have to repeat install when a kernel update comes.
If you want the newest drivers,it is better to add xswat ppa to your system sources.