PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 upgrader hangs

wurlyfan
September 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Having just upgraded my graphics card, I am trying to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04, on my rather old i386 box (3.0 GHz Intel P4, 3GB RAM). Although 10.10 runs perfectly, when I try to upgrade to 11.04, the upgrader hangs during the upgrade process (it has now done it twice), and I have no choice but to reset the box, which leaves me with a munted installation.

The 11.04 LiveCD seems to run fine on my hardware, and I can restore my 10.10 installation from backup, but I hope to run 11.04 at some stage, preferable without losing my current setup!

Can anyone suggest what I should do?

dino99
September 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to move to natty and comment all the third party repos. Dont forget to clean the system before updating (clean, autoclean, autoremove)
then use synaptic and start to install the "main" packages (gcc, apt, ...) first.

wurlyfan
September 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to move to natty and comment all the third party repos. Dont forget to clean the system before updating (clean, autoclean, autoremove)
then use synaptic and start to install the "main" packages (gcc, apt, ...) first.

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you be a little more specific about what to edit in /etc/apt/sources to move to natty? I understand about the repositories, but can you list, or point me to a list of what you consider "main packages"? I assume that I should restore my 10.10 installation first, then clean that system.

dino99
September 3rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
its often quicker to make a clean install over the borked one

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

(previously i've proposed to switch maverick by natty into the config file)

wurlyfan
September 3rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
its often quicker to make a clean install over the borked one

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

(previously i've proposed to switch maverick by natty into the config file)

Well thanks anyway, but I don't understand enough of this for me to solve my problem and now that I've got 10.10 back again I think I'll just stick with that.

wurlyfan
September 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Just in case anyone else finds this thread, I found that even though the upgrade process started from Update Manager hung every time, the update option on the LiveCD disk worked better and yielded a usable 11.04 installation, although along the way it told me that manual updating would be required at the end. After much use of Synaptic, updating all the indicated items, I finally ended up with a fully-updated 11.04 installation that works well.