PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error: hd0 out of disk.

creata.physics
September 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
First off, I want to say that I know this topic has been posted about 100 times, but in the topics I've searched there is no actual fix for my issue.

I'm using 11.04, when I did an 'upgrade' the issue was gone, after I had done an update a restart was required, grub also had an update which was applied.

After the update, I got the error again.

When it gives me the error, the only option is to "Press any key to continue", which I do, and Ubuntu loads fine.

I guess the problem isn't severe because Ubuntu does load, it's just rather annoying, and I'd like to have a system that doesn't initially start with an error, I'd like it to just boot up normally.

Grub is installed, I have the option to load from which ever OS I want, windows xp pro also loads fine. Is there any fix for this? Where I can make the first option load hd0 or whatever it needs to load so I can avoid this error?

Thanks in advance
/Matt

dino99
September 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
- clean the system:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

- force a fsck on next reboot:

sudo shutdown -r now

reboot on recovery mode and select "repair packages"

creata.physics
September 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have done all that you've recommended and the issue still persists, any other ideas?

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
EDIT: Oh yeah, hi, welcome to the forum
Can read your RESULTS.txt file easily using gedit. Would you mind editing the post and posting your RESULTS.txt file in a different way?

Paste the entire text into the reply area,
highlight the entire text..
click on code tags, the # icon.
preview and post it.

Thanks,

Please download, run, boot_info_script and post resulting file RESULTS.txt between code tags.

Rubi1200
September 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
+1 to the suggestion to post the results of the boot info script.

It will give us a much better idea of what is going on and will make offering solutions easier.

creata.physics
September 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
RESULTS.txt has been added as an attachment so you guys can check it out.

Thanks a bunch

/Matt

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
Please state what the error is exactly: Grub boots and the first and only thing you see is "Press any key to continue"?

creata.physics
September 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
My apologies, posting the error itself as the thread title was not the best idea.

The exact error message I get is:

"Error: hd0 out of disk.
Press any key to continue"

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
your RESULTS.txt file looks OK to me, but I'm the first to admit I'm still an apprentice with boot_info_scripts output. Found a link that you might find useful:
http://www.anty.info/2011/06/22/solution-for-error-hd0-out-of-disk/

I'm still thinking but don't see anything obviously out of place yet.

creata.physics
September 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I thought it would have to do with the configuration since it tries to load hd0 which doesn't seem to exist? I'm not sure, I'm still a novice to Ubuntu and Linux in general, so I'm clueless on how to fix this.

I've reformatted and updated / re-installed everything so many times I would like to avoid erasing everything just to fix this, so thanks for your help.

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
what is your hardware?, have you stated that already in this thread. Anyway, are you going to check and see if there is a BIOS update available for your BIOS?

creata.physics
September 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
I have 2GB of ram, pentium 4 HT 3.2 ghz, and i'm not sure about the graphics card.

I've done a bios upgrade a while back on windows, it's currently at it's most recent version, and I don't think there'll be anymore updates for that.

I'll wait a while more for some other responses, but I may just toss in the towel soon and do a full erase and re-install.

Hakunka-Matata
September 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
ok

oldfred
September 3rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
Are you shutting down abnormally?

This says the error should have been fixed many versions ago.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Out_Of_Disk

Relates to grub writing an error. Fix will not directly work as line numbers have changed a lot. And I do not know details.

Just a suggestion with no guarantees. You can try uninstalling grub & reinstalling it. You can do it from your install, but if you do not get it reinstalled, you will then need liveCD to fix it.

HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099