PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Misc unity issues on upgrade

hollymcr
September 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
Sorry for the vague subject, I don't know the Unity terminology to explain this.

Background: My desktop has been upgraded version by version since about 2005, often to pre-releases (I'm currently on 11.10), with a side effect that some new features don't get set up correctly between versions. I'm having some issues with Unity (I didn't use it until 11.10 but they were probably there with 11.04), screenshot attached.

I have no experience of Unity so I'm comparing against screenshots I see online. Specifically:

Ubuntu icon appears at top of menu not at left of menu bar
No app menu (+) icon

I think there's another missing icon too but I don't know what it is supposed to do?

How can I either reset to defaults or otherwise restore the "standard" functionality? I'm determined to give Unity a fair go but without some kind of application menu it's hard work!

Also: Nothing I change in Compiz Settings Manager (ccsm) has any effect, such as enabling wobbly windows. Any suggestions as to why that might be?

raja.genupula
September 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
open your terminal and do this

unity --reset

unity --reset-icons

its for reset your unity and unity default icons and everything
all the best

hollymcr
September 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM
open your terminal and do this

unity --reset

unity --reset-icons

its for reset your unity and unity default icons and everything
all the best

Thanks, this has certainly tidied things up a bit. However, I still don't seem to have icons for an application menu other than dash?