PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu member?

anewguy
September 3rd, 2011, 04:43 AM
I've seen the "Ubuntu Member" on several users, and I just read some information on wiki about it. So I have a basic question:

Is this anything more than just "bragging rights"? I mean, I've asked tons of questions, but I like to think I've contributed to the community along the way. I don't feel a need to "advertise" that. Not to mention I have a heck of a lot to learn. Is this worthwhile? How difficult?

Thanks in advance!

Dave ;)

jfed
September 3rd, 2011, 04:48 AM
I thought you got the "Ubuntu Member" tag by donating or something :-k

Either way I think it just replaces the image of your beans with the Ubuntu Member thing. And it doesn't mean anyone who "isn't" an Ubuntu Member hasn't contributed, look at your post count, that speaks for itself.

linuxman94
September 3rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
Benefits of membership as stated by the membership page on wiki:

Voting privileges to confirm Ubuntu Community Council nominations.

An @ubuntu.com email alias that forwards to your real email address. See UbuntuEmail for more details.

An ubuntu/member/your_nick cloak on freenode - See IRC/Cloaks.

The right to print business cards with the Ubuntu logo - The business cards can be found at the BusinessCards page, you will need to take care of the printing yourself.

Syndication on Planet Ubuntu of your Ubuntu blog or the Ubuntu category posts in your blog, if you have one. Follow the registration instructions on PlanetUbuntu to add your blog!

An Ubuntu Member title at the Ubuntu Forums. See this post for more information.

A subscription to Linux Weekly News - see this page for instructions on how to apply.

Ability to join the Official Ubuntu Members group on LinkedIn. See Membership/LinkedIn for more information.

Signing up for SixXS account with an Ubuntu email address and a link to your Launchpad page will grant you an "Ubuntu Credit Bonus" of 25 credit points.

SFTP access to a Web-accessible directory on people.ubuntu.com

Rocket2DMn
September 3rd, 2011, 05:04 AM
Moved to the Cafe.

Ubuntu Membership is a great way to recognize those who have given sustained and significant contributions to the community. It comes with some nice perks, including the right to vote for community leaders. The staff encourages forum contributors who meet the Membership requirements to apply.

The Forum Council has the right to approve membership. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1750642 and http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=404

anewguy
September 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Wow! I'd never qualify for that, but thanks everyone for answering!

Dave ;)

bapoumba
September 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Wow! I'd never qualify for that, but thanks everyone for answering!

Dave ;)
Why ?
We look at forums contributions, how people are being friendly and helpful to others, for how long they have been participating, things like that. You should not be shy :)

haqking
September 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Open enrollment now.

http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=331

anewguy
September 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Why ?
We look at forums contributions, how people are being friendly and helpful to others, for how long they have been participating, things like that. You should not be shy :)

I look at those sample wikis and all I think is "All I do is participate on the Absolute Beginners Forum, run Ubuntu desktop at home, and have written 1 how-to, and it was for going back to Windows back in the days when we had all kinds of people just jumping on without checking things out first". Nothing there worth noting, and it sure would make for a small and very laughable wiki! ;)

Oxwivi
September 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
... Well, it doesn't hurt to try... :P

BlinkinCat
September 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Why ?

You sure are contributing! - :)

Iowan
September 3rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
The worst that could happen would be a deferral (eg. Try again in a few months after additional contribution).

anewguy
September 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Well, I put in the application. Hope people don't laugh too loud! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Dave ;)