PDA

View Full Version : MS office in Ubuntu

rathish.arumugam
September 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Hey guys!!!

I recently shifted to Ubuntu and I'm finding a little problem with the office programs.
Still in my office people use Microsoft Office and I'm the only one using open Office.

Now I'm very much attached to Ubuntu and I don't want to shift from Ubuntu. My friend suggested that by using a software called "wine" I can run .exe files in Ubuntu.

Can I install Microsft office through wine?

Else is there any other way to get MS -Office in Ubuntu?

dodo3773
September 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hey guys!!!

I recently shifted to Ubuntu and I'm finding a little problem with the office programs.
Still in my office people use Microsoft Office and I'm the only one using open Office.

Now I'm very much attached to Ubuntu and I don't want to shift from Ubuntu. My friend suggested that by using a software called "wine" I can run .exe files in Ubuntu.

Can I install Microsft office through wine?

Else is there any other way to get MS -Office in Ubuntu?

I run office 2007 in wine. I use a commercial version of wine though called "crossover-linux". If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks I highly recommend it. It pretty much does everything for you. Outlook even works with the new version.

haqking
September 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
You could use wine but the proprietary software runs its best in its native environment.

Alot of people use wine or similiar or Virtualisation.

try www.virtualbox.org (http://www.virtualbox.org) if you want to run it natively.

Or dual boot

uRock
September 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forums,

You can use the MS Office in the browser by logging into your Hotmail account. It'll let you create and edit documents within the browser.

Jerry N
September 3rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Office versions 2007 and older work well with Wine but as has been pointed out Codeweavers Crossover makes installing Windows programs much easier. I have personally run Office 97 and Office 2003 (and a number of other rather old Windows programs) using Crossover and find that Word and Excel perform better than their counterparts in OpenOffice or LibreOffice. I have not tried to use Access so I can't say how well it works. I have limited experience with Windows in a virtual memory environment but when I tried it a saw a marked degradation in performance compared with running Windows applications in Crossover. Running Windows applications in Linux is offensive to some Linux purists. I suppose running Abiword, gnumeric, and GIMP in Windows is offensive to some Windows purists too. Being a pragmatist, I say do what works for you!

Jerry

sandyd
September 3rd, 2011, 02:49 AM
Unless you want to use something other than the Three Core Apps - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, WINE will do fine. The core apps get looked at the most.

But anyways... The whole compatability list is here -> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992

Don't use office 2010. Installer works if you put your back into it, but the apps don't.

b.ash
September 3rd, 2011, 03:16 AM
I switched to Open Office before switching to linux and loved it from the moment I loaded it. Is there something Word can do that OO can't?

Jerry N
September 3rd, 2011, 04:04 AM
I switched to Open Office before switching to linux and loved it from the moment I loaded it. Is there something Word can do that OO can't?

Other than Word macros, probably not. However, the Open Office Writer is only somewhat compatible with Word. In particular, formatting can get screwed up between the two. Not that one is better than the other, it is just that they are not the same.

Jerry

Mark Phelps
September 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Can I install Microsft office through wine?..

If you're going to RELY on using MS Office on a daily basis, then it's important to understand the limitations that folks have mentioned ... summarized below:
1) Only the "core" Office products work. Don't ask about Outlook or Access because they will not work. Also, once you start branching out into stuff like Project, Info Path, Visio, you're getting into other Office apps that most likely, will NOT work.
2) Office 2010 does not work. Period. It took Codeweavers three years to get SOME of Office 2007 to work, and by the time they did, Office 2010 was already out. So, if you need 2010, expect it to be YEARS before that will happen.
3) The Wine add-ons (like Winetricks or Crossover) simplify installation and configuration, they do not provide additional features. Meaning, if it doesn't work in Wine, it won't work using any of the add-ons.
4) The new Office 2007 default formats (docx, for example) do NOT work well with non-Office products. Lots of complaints heard here about Open Office and/or Libre Office not handling these files properly. Nothing you do here is going to change that.

So, basically, if you really need to rely on MS Office for daily usage, you're better off dual-booting and retaining a working MS Windows version of MS Office.

snip3r8
September 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I run office 2007 in wine. I use a commercial version of wine though called "crossover-linux". If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks I highly recommend it. It pretty much does everything for you. Outlook even works with the new version.

Office 2007 works perfectly in wine

dodo3773
September 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Don't ask about Outlook or Access because they will not work.

Outlook does work with the new crossover. I tested it with my gmail. No stunnel workaround either.

Mark Phelps
September 5th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Outlook does work with the new crossover. I tested it with my gmail. No stunnel workaround either.

That's good news ... WHICH version of Outlook, and WHICH version of Crossover?

dodo3773
September 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
That's good news ... WHICH version of Outlook, and WHICH version of Crossover?

Currently using "Outlook 2007" and "CrossOver Linux Standard 10.0.0"

aura7
September 6th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Here is the youtube video for installing Office 2010 on Ubuntu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-Qgd-WG8Q

vikas barnes
September 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Most of the day to day word processing tasks u can do with OO.
To share files with co-members, just save them in MS-Office 97/2000 format as well

mastablasta
September 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Other than Word macros, probably not. However, the Open Office Writer is only somewhat compatible with Word. In particular, formatting can get screwed up between the two. Not that one is better than the other, it is just that they are not the same.

Jerry

Office will for example change the theme on the fly so oyu can actually see what the docuemnt will look like withouth first confirming or using any preview windows. there are also many other stuff it can do that OO can't only most people don't use them anyway and don't know about them. Also Office 2007/2010 has many good & ready solutions for design. which are incompatible with OOo.

i would say

MS office 2000 < Open (Libre) Office < Office 2007/2010

Office 2007 is different due to use of ribbons. it can be annoying at times but once oyu get used to it it actually makes some sense.

For most tasks though Open office is just fine.

Mark Phelps
September 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Here is the youtube video for installing Office 2010 on Ubuntu

Did you bother to read the part where they say it runs "but crashes very often" -- basically, rendering this useless.

WinuxUser
September 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Mr. Mark Phelps has really pointed out the fundamental things needed to be considered and i think he has addressed everything pretty well here......
Personally, i think dual booting can solve your problem if u are very needy regarding the Office 2010

hijiz
September 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
the easiest way to install office is play on linux www.playonlinux.com (http://www.playonlinux.com)

Mark Phelps
September 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
the easiest way to install office is play on linux www.playonlinux.com (http://www.playonlinux.com)

While that is true, what you failed to point out is the following:
1) Office 2010 is NOT supported
2) For Office 2007, the following apps do NOT work: Access, Groove, Outlook.

I2k4
September 7th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Hello and Welcome to the forums,

You can use the MS Office in the browser by logging into your Hotmail account. It'll let you create and edit documents within the browser.

Depending on the user's needs, specifically how sophisticated the Office documents created and shared with his colleagues, I think this is the most sensible place to start:

http://www.officelive.com/en-us/

The new online Office is pretty limited as to certain functions, especially Excel macros - more like Google Docs than full out Office itself. But if the shared Office documents are not too fancy, they would always be actual Office documents, with no file translation issues or apologies for "virtual" OS muckups, that would not be appreciated or even acceptable at work.

Mark Phelps
September 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
...http://www.officelive.com/en-us/

That only works if you upload your documents to Microsoft -- something not ALL of us are willing to do!

I2k4
September 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
That only works if you upload your documents to Microsoft -- something not ALL of us are willing to do!

A legitimate issue - I've got Office docs I wouldn't show Microsoft. On the other hand there are whole businesses and even some government agencies running off Google Docs and exposing all their emails to GMail. (The competing Microsoft Office service is too new and undeveloped for that.)

The original poster has to decide based on his work requirements, since he committed his hard drive to Ubuntu. My own requirements have lead me to keep Windows/Office on the hard drive, and use Ubuntu on USB. Users make and deal with their decisions, and should take the time to decide wisely.

ubun2geek
September 9th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Just use winetricks on wine - it will work seamlessly

howefield
September 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Thread moved to the "Wine" forum.