PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Partial Success with upgrade to Ubuntu V10.04 and can't load GUI.

braveking
September 2nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
--I am good now. You can close the thread --

I have a Thinkpad T60. I downloaded latest ubuntu on to a CD, but that CD just shows ubuntu logo and didn't do anything.

So i installed Ubuntu 7.10 successfully using an old CD. Clicked on Update Manager, it asked to update to V 8.? LTS, don't remember. The upgrade went well.

After reboot, i clicked again on update manager and it asked to upgrade to V10.04 LTS

I selected this but got stuck on some message on 'Messagebus" and said exiting but it stuck with that message for several hours. Could find help on forums. So i kept cancelling control C from there on. Finally i got a message that installation is complete but with warning that some packages failed.

After i restarted the machine, it load me into command line. I see Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version listed on the command line.

Tried all the different suggestions available on this thread
http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-start-the-gui-from-the-prompt-screen

but I couldn't figure out how to load GUI.

From the command line, i typed

apt-get upgrade

and it says 560 not fully installed or removed

Selected continue.

It deployed the packages and when i tried starx on the command line, it loaded the GUI.

After the restart, there was an error report waiting to be submitted to developers.

I am good now. The thread can be closed.