PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Ada used in Operating System Development?

x-D
September 2nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
I've seen speed tests, which conclude it has speeds that are comparable with Pascal and C. It also has vast protection from Buffer-Overloads, which means that surely, it should be the number 1 choice for Operating System Development?

x-D :guitar:

Bachstelze
September 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah, it should. But we don't live in Shouldland. Ah, Shouldland, where clean-cut kids cruise Shouldland Boulevard, and the Shouldland High football team gets their optimistic asses kicked by their cross-town rival, Reality Check Tech.

x-D
September 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
One day, if I'm feeling up to it, I might try to translate the entire Linux Kernel into Ada, (well as much of it as possible - the C and C++ bits, at least).

Bachstelze
September 2nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
One day, if I'm feeling up to it, I might try to translate the entire Linux Kernel into Ada, (well as much of it as possible - the C and C++ bits, at least).

Actually made me lol. Good luck with that. :)

JDShu
September 2nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
With the hype over Clojure these days, I'm surprised nobody has proposed writing an operating system in that :P

x-D
September 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Actually made me lol. Good luck with that. :)
Not one day, I mean figuratively, many days, weeks, months, years :P

x-D
September 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
With the hype over Clojure these days, I'm surprised nobody has proposed writing an operating system in that :P
What is the hype for, it's just a dialect of LISP!?

wojox
September 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Not one day, I mean figuratively, many days, weeks, months, years :P

If porting the kernel to another language was a near easy task, you would see more kernels options. :P

JDShu
September 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
What is the hype for, it's just a dialect of LISP!?

I guess lisp is cool and the jvm is cool, so it's doubly cool?

But I guess the point being, people always want to write operating systems in every language imaginable :D

x-D
September 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I guess lisp is cool and the jvm is cool, so it's doubly cool?

But I guess the point being, people always want to write operating systems in every language imaginable :D

I'll write one for you in Visual Basic.NET :) or maybe COBOL :) I was going to say Delphi, but that might actually be possible?

If porting the kernel to another language was a near easy task, you would see more kernels options. :razz:

Well, I'm going to try, and I'll guess you'll be seeing one more then hehe :)

x-D
September 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Maybe I could write a Kernel in HTML5! :P Only joking, that would be impossible. And it's a Markup Language anyway.

JDShu
September 3rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
http://bellard.org/jslinux/

:D

Well, it's close, anyway.

x-D
September 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Close, but no cigar :).