PDA

View Full Version : Marketing: That's what ubuntu need!

brodock
May 28th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Here is an example how to make the things became better then they are:

http://images.linspire.com/linspire5.0intro4-8-6.swf

that is what we need... Audio + Video + A good Presentation, then we can conquer the world... muahahaha! :D

Lovechild
May 29th, 2006, 12:25 AM
How about we start with a rock solid, kickass product and then do the cheesy marketing stunts?

As for publicity I say we dunk Jeff Waugh on Time Square

Kilz
May 29th, 2006, 12:35 AM

that is what we need... Audio + Video + A good Presentation, then we can conquer the world... muahahaha! :D

I wouldn't touch Linspire with a 10 foot pole. No matter how good the presentation is, I have a feeling it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Getting "all files supported" probably takes an Eula 5 miles long.

meng
May 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I agree somewhat with lovechild. The fantastic thing about Ubuntu is how popular it has become with relatively little in the way of conventional marketing strategies. However, as with any other chain store or product, a bit of bad publicity can be much more damaging than a bit of good publicity.

e.g. Joe Schmoe succumbs to "peer pressure" to switch to Ubuntu. Instead of a smooth installation, he comes up against a host of problems he doesn't know how to fix, wastes most of the next week trying to solve them, then gives up in frustration. What's the bet he's going to tell all his other friends how awful Linux is, and how difficult will it be to convince them to make the switch in future?

Eventually, the product will be good enough to market more aggressively, AND the community will be large enough and experienced enough to help the Joe Schmoe's to get their system up and running. But there's nothing to gain by acting in haste.

Footissimo
May 29th, 2006, 12:42 AM

..thats supposed to attract users?

The spread ubuntu idea was a good one, shame it never really got off the ground :(

shuttleworthwannabe
May 29th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I suggest collecting money for a full page NY Times ad (from supporters like us). Much like what FF did when it was officially released in 2003/4??

meng
May 29th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Nice nick. I don't mind donating my money to help Ubuntu, but I think my money would be wasted on that suggestion at this point in time.

NeghVar
May 29th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah that video was not that good. I agree with the above posters, creating solid software that just works and then letting word of mouth spread about it is the best way.

The word of mouth style also helps people get comfortable with the idea. They know someone that has done it and who can probably put them in touch with a huge community that has done it. It allows the user to become more comfortable, just typing the words 'world class support' into a video won't help that person. But if he has a problem or a question and is able to call up his friend who told him about it and who he trusts and is comfortable with, now that is a good strategy.

If any ads were put out I would like to see them more along the lines of debunking myths and comon misconceptions rather than just touting Ubuntu as the second coming.

SeanTater
May 29th, 2006, 02:39 AM
When I knew nothing about Linux -- that flash (actually, the 4.5 version) was why I used Linspire, and therefore, somewhat why I use Linux. I would not condemn it. "Marketing Stunt", it might be, but it worked for me..

Sheinar
May 29th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I'd much rather have no advertising than trash like that Linspire one.

Iandefor
May 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
That Linspire commercial is crap. If you want to put off a good impression, do it professionally.

RAV TUX
May 29th, 2006, 03:59 AM

If you really want to help...why not join the Marketing Team, thats what I did.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156698

brodock
May 29th, 2006, 04:32 AM
do we have a marketing team?
wonderfull :)
i'm not a professional... but... let's try :D

also i didn't mean to create a flame war... i just find that we don't have some kind of media that i think is essential to everybody that wants to know ubuntu better, get a little impression before try.

cnbiz850
May 29th, 2006, 04:38 AM
How about we start with a rock solid, kickass product and then do the cheesy marketing stunts?

Don't agree. Marketing needs to go along at the early stage, even when the product is not solid. The key of marketing is let many people be aware of the product before anyone could try it. The very problem nowadays is that tooooo many people are fully "immersed" in Windows to be aware of anything else, even though they suffer horribly from Windows mess. When the product becomes "rock solid" will be too late -- in marketing sense. Also keep in mind, no new product really gets to the so called "rock solid" state, only mature ones maybe. Remember, MS Windows prevailed over other competitions in the history not because of its technical superiosity or being more "rock solid".

Harold P
May 29th, 2006, 04:43 AM
2.6.10 is the latest stable kernel? :-k