PDA

View Full Version : How to revert back to Windows 7 Starter after overriding OS w/ Ubuntu

rottweiler1204
September 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I bought a Dell Inspiron Mini 1018 netbook that came with Windows 7 Starter so I could specifically install Ubuntu on it. I had recently taken a Linux class and wanted to keep the Linux commands fresh, but after rarely using the command line outside of class, I figured I'd rather go back to Windows if all I'm going to do is go on the Internet and occassionally take notes. My parents were looking to buy a netbook to take on vacation, so I figured I'd give them mine, but they don't know Ubuntu. I want to reinstall Windows 7 Starter, but I was given no installation disc, and I can't seem to find any helpful article online that'll show me how to reinstall it. Do I have to purchase something again? Is there a restore feature in Ubuntu?

pricen2
September 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Dell 1018 (like many netbooks) have a recovery partition, accessible from a windows based recovery suite, which allows you to burn your own recovery media. Once the recovery suite/recovery partition is gone, it's gone.

You *might* be able to run the recovery program without going into a OS.
You've probably already tried this but when you boot up look for any message like 'Press F9 to go to recovery console'.

If there is no 'external to OS' recovery console and you didn't burn your own recovery media then you are out of luck im afraid.