PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with CrabGrass social networking software?

Syndicalist
September 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
We have need of creating a social network and are considering some of our options.....Is Crabgrass related to Diaspora? It looks kind of similar, has that 'facebook' feel to it.

I actually kind of like the old PHPBB forums for communities if combined with wordpress, but colleagues say it has too many security risks.

Would you say that a non-programmer who could manage a wordpress admin panel could set up and manage a vanilla Crabgrass install?

Any similar software that point and click users could manage without knowing any code?

I know a little, but I dont want to be dealing with this myself so it needs to be easy.

bobbob94
September 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Crabgrass is very straightforward in some ways, certainly, setting it up would be fine for anyone who can figure out a wordpress admin panel. I don't find it the most inuitive user interface, but maybe that's just me!
As far as I know the Riseup collective that make Crabgrass aren't involved in Diaspora, but I may just have not heard about a link of course....

DeadSuperHero
September 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Conceptually, it's sort of similar to Diaspora. I haven't heard about any development on it in a while, though.

If you're looking to something that's similar to Diaspora, have you considered giving Friendika (http://project.friendika.com/) a spin? The recent release is actually compatible with Diaspora now.

Aside from that, Diaspora is not as hard to install as you would think. It's certainly different, and it's more geared towards doing things on the code side at the moment, but it's a wonderful platform that gets more polish every day.

Here's (https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Installing-and-Running-Diaspora) a general installation guide for Diaspora.

Syndicalist
September 2nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
Im trying to get as far away from code as possible, in favor of even highly complex point and click....I mean, well organized and intuitive point and click is best, but Im not a coder who is faster doing it by hand. I know there are benefits, but none for me personally if I lack the skill.

We have some profoundly talented coders and hackers, but they are too busy to maintain it. Its up to the point and click moderators to do that.

Compatibility with Diaspora sounds great.

If anyone wants to make a few bucks doing something quick and easy, just helping me with a vanilla install would be appreciated. I have the domain set up already. Wordpress on a sub-domain. The default address is empty.

Would you say Friendika is more secure than PHPBB?

Warpnow
September 4th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm a fan of Boonex Dolphin.

DeadSuperHero
September 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM
If anyone wants to make a few bucks doing something quick and easy, just helping me with a vanilla install would be appreciated. I have the domain set up already. Wordpress on a sub-domain. The default address is empty.

I'd be more than happy to try and get a vanilla installation of Friendika on your server if that's what you wanted.

Would you say Friendika is more secure than PHPBB?
It's relatively secure, as far as I'm aware. That being said, all software can be compromised at some level.

Syndicalist
September 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM
That would be awesome.