PDA

View Full Version : Should GNOME have its own variant?

sirspazzolot
September 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Gobuntu has been discontinued for a while, so I don't think there would be a whole lot of confusion if a Gubuntu were to pop up. We have an Ubuntu version for KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Unity, and we gotta catch em all! Apparently Oneiric isn't shipping with a classic desktop anymore. We can't leave our old pal GNOME in the dust! Gubuntu could include classic GNOME2.x and GNOME shell.

(I'm mostly kidding. I have no idea how much work would be needed to create and maintain another variant but I'm sure it's a lot. But this topic could spark some good discussion.)

grahammechanical
September 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Are you asking a help question? Or, just wanting to start a discussion. Please get this post transferred to the Community Cafe. Or check out the previous threads on this subject.

Regards.

Frogs Hair
September 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Gobuntu has been discontinued for a while, so I don't think there would be a whole lot of confusion if a Gubuntu were to pop up. We have an Ubuntu version for KDE, XFCE, LXDE and Unity, and we gotta catch em all! Apparently Oneiric isn't shipping with a classic desktop anymore. We can't leave our old pal GNOME in the dust! Gubuntu could include classic GNOME2.x and GNOME shell.

(I'm mostly kidding. I have no idea how much work would be needed to create and maintain another variant but I'm sure it's a lot. But this topic could spark some good discussion.)

Your thread should me moved as stated . See the link . http://matsusoft.com.ar/redmine/projects/mate

overdrank
September 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM
Not a support request moved to The Community Cafe

sanderd17
September 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
There is gNatty, but the name *buntu can not be used until canonical approves it.

Oxwivi
September 1st, 2011, 08:19 PM
I am all for a GNOME-specific Ubuntu variant for the default GNOME experience on Ubuntu. Ubuntu (original) should be GNOME/KDE neutral, and the inclusion of Qt libraries is a step in the right direction. Users should not grapple with GNOME/KDE restrictions.

cariboo
September 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM

Are you serious? Gnome 2 isn't being developed or supported any more, and the people that have tried to fork Gnome 2 have given up it seems.

I'd suggest you try gnome-shell and gnome-session-fallback when Oneiric is released.

Jesus_Valdez
September 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm guessing that the next day of 11.10 on the wild there will be thousands of blog post about how to remove unity and install Gnome Shell.

And a few hundreds more about how to make it "vanilla gnome 3".

So I wouldn't worry about that.

cariboo
September 1st, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'm guessing that the next day of 11.10 on the wild there will be thousands of blog post about how to remove unity and install Gnome Shell.

And a few hundreds more about how to make it "vanilla gnome 3".

So I wouldn't worry about that.

But then people wouldn't have anything to complain about. :) :)

speedwell68
September 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
TBH I don't see what all the fuss about Unity is all about. I would be really nice if people got over the fact that GNOME 2.x is no longer being developed and phased out. I for one am glad that Ubuntu is developing it's own interface, Unity rocks.

NightwishFan
September 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Gnome 2 is not being supported upstream. Though I would welcome a community supported fork of it there is no way I would use it. The effort should rather go to Gnome 3 fall-back mode.

As for Unity/Gnome 3, they are the same thing. I do not think there should be a complete Gnome 3 remix just simple instructions for installing the Gnome Shell Session and optionally removing Unity.

Were I a (not so benevolent) dictator this would be my bottom line.

MonolithImmortal
September 2nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
OP, lrn2search function. This has been discussed at least a hojillion (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/06/22/) times.

3Miro
September 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
Some time ago I read an article that questioned whether or not Kubuntu and Xubuntu can be called real distributions since you can go from ubuntu to kubuntu by just installing and uninstalling packages. I don't know how much this is the case for Kubutnu anymore, but if you can get from 11.10 Unity to 11.10 Gnome-shell by installing "sudo apt-get gnome-shell" and uninstalling Unity "sudo apt-get --purge compiz", then what is the point of the "gubuntu".

Gnome 2 is dead. Forking it is IMO futile, although some people are working on it. The old Gnome 2 panel and metacity are already ported to Gnome 3 as the gnome-fallback-session. With XFCE being as good as it is, I don't see room for Gnome 2 or Gubuntu anymore.

sirspazzolot
September 2nd, 2011, 05:57 AM
I'm a terrible OP. :( Made the topic in the wrong subforum and then forgot about it. Searching didn't give me results since I just searched in the original location. Sorry! For the record, I don't have a problem with Unity, I actually prefer it to gnome-shell, though they're both pretty similar. I didn't know about the gnome-fallback-session, that's nifty.

cariboo
September 2nd, 2011, 06:01 AM
Even if there was a fork of Gnome 2 that actually existed, it would take a couple of years for it to get accepted as a member of the Ubuntu family. Lubuntu has been in existence for 3 years, and at the last UDS in May, finally got accepted as part of the family.

uRock
September 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
TBH I don't see what all the fuss about Unity is all about. I would be really nice if people got over the fact that GNOME 2.x is no longer being developed and phased out. I for one am glad that Ubuntu is developing it's own interface, Unity rocks.

Yup, that is how I feel. I am getting hyped up for 11.10. The few screenshots I have seen of it are awesome. GNOME3 doesn't look half bad either.

vehemoth
September 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
I liked gnome 3 except for the lack of gui configuration that that was there with gnome 2 (at least on fedora), hopefully this gets sorted before 11.10 (if it hasn't been already), I know you could install that extra package to bring back some of the functionality but it's just not the same.

If that functionality is added back in then there seems no point in a pure gnome version of ubuntu as unity is reasonably nice and you should be able to switch to gnome 3 and gnome 3 fallback anyway.

sanderd17
September 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
I liked gnome 3 except for the lack of gui configuration that that was there with gnome 2 (at least on fedora), hopefully this gets sorted before 11.10 (if it hasn't been already), I know you could install that extra package to bring back some of the functionality but it's just not the same.

Gnome3 is easy to customise (programatically), but they just need to create the right GUI tools for it.

NightwishFan
September 2nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
Gnome3 is easy to customise (programatically), but they just need to create the right GUI tools for it.

Yes. It is quite easy to customize, and a lot of features such as desktop icons are still there just disabled.

http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/

Oxwivi
September 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Even if there was a fork of Gnome 2 that actually existed, it would take a couple of years for it to get accepted as a member of the Ubuntu family. Lubuntu has been in existence for 3 years, and at the last UDS in May, finally got accepted as part of the family.
I don't think this a thread about GNOME 2, but one with vanilla GNOME with GNOME Shell and stuff.

Syndicalist
September 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
I prefer Gnome shell customized to look like Gnome2 or closer to it. Unity looks like its trying to copy Android.....its impressive on phones, it not so impressive on a desktop.

I dont care what Ubuntu does, except that they seem to have created stability issues downstream for everyone still using Gnome2 or Gnome Shell on an Ubuntu base.....Rather than bringing me back to vanilla Ubuntu its driving me to other distros entirely.

Hopefully these downstream issues wont be as prolific in the next release cycle.

This was a double whammy with the kernel bugs.