PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Very Basic Question about Python

Lestathim
September 1st, 2011, 05:18 PM
I am new to Python and programming in general and just had a very basic question that I can't seem to find the answer for anywhere. I am using IDLE to enter my Python code. Prior to this I was just using the Terminal to do so. What I can't seem to figure out is how to enter multiple lines of code before output is given. For instance if I say:

print "Line One" #I Get
Line One
print "Line Two" #I Get
Line Two

How exactly do I write this so that it produces both outputs at one time? Like for instance this:

print "Line One"
print "Line Two"

Line One
Line Two

I know that's probably a basic questions but the books I have been reading and my recent searches haven't seemed to yield any results. Thanks a lot for your time!

karlson
September 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
I am new to Python and programming in general and just had a very basic question that I can't seem to find the answer for anywhere. I am using IDLE to enter my Python code. Prior to this I was just using the Terminal to do so. What I can't seem to figure out is how to enter multiple lines of code before output is given. For instance if I say:

print "Line One" #I Get
Line One
print "Line Two" #I Get
Line Two

How exactly do I write this so that it produces both outputs at one time? Like for instance this:

print "Line One"
print "Line Two"

Line One
Line Two

I know that's probably a basic questions but the books I have been reading and my recent searches haven't seemed to yield any results. Thanks a lot for your time!

print "Line One\nLine Two\n"

Smart Viking
September 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
print "Hello,"; print "Mars!"

Pythons executes the same way in IDLE as it does with a text file, one line at a time. But when it's in a text file, python know what the next line is.

Lestathim
September 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the help guys. That answers part of my question I'd say but it kinda raises another. The book I'm reading "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" (heres a link to the book http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/thinkCSpy.pdf), has a part in it, on the bottom page 27, that has the user, after defining to make a new blank line, write this:

print "First Line."
newLine()
print "Second Line.

and in turn gets this:

First line.

Second line.

When I write it this is what happens:

print "First Line."
First Line
newLine()

print "Second Line"
Second Line

So what I'm essentially do is entering some input, getting some output. What I want to do is enter all of the input just like they did in the book, and get all of the output. What I can't seem to do is just that. I hope I'm explaining myself clearly enough, if not I apologize. Anyway, thanks again for your time guys.

squenson
September 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
In IDLE, use the menu File > New Window. In that new window, you can type a program of several lines. Save the file then press F5 to run it.

Bachstelze
September 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Notice how there is no ">>>" before the input, this not done through the interpreter. You must write the lines in a text file, save it as something.py and run it with

python something.py

Lestathim
September 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Oh Oh Oh I understand! Wow thanks so much for your help everyone. I really appreciate it. That all makes complete sense now. Thanks again!