PDA

View Full Version : programming help needed??

Margueritte
September 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hi

I have been using Ubuntu for approximately 5 years as an in-house network system for my own company. I recently decided to try and go "salaried".

I would like to obtain the necessary programming knowledge etc to be able to obtain a job position as a Systems Administrator. What programs should I learn (I am all self-taught) to be able to achieve this?? Any info would be appreciated.

jfed
September 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
Do you mean "what programming languages"?

Confused me a bit :P

haqking
September 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hi

I have been using Ubuntu for approximately 5 years as an in-house network system for my own company. I recently decided to try and go "salaried".

I would like to obtain the necessary programming knowledge etc to be able to obtain a job position as a Systems Administrator. What programs should I learn (I am all self-taught) to be able to achieve this?? Any info would be appreciated.

Well being a developer and a System Admin are 2 different things.

So you want to be a Sys Admin and have some programming knowledge, well any langauge is good, start with Python and some C maybe, then some Web based such as Perl Php etc seeing as a Sys Admin will often deal with web servers.

Depends what the languages are used in the company where you will be salaried.

As a Sys Admin you wont be doing much programming other than scripting anyways.

nothingspecial
September 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
bash

Margueritte
September 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thank you.. I will start with python!!

haqking
September 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you.. I will start with python!!

well as nothingspecial said above me, as a sys admin you are far better spending your time learning bash.

bash scripting etc will be the majority of the programing you do in that job.

RiceMonster
September 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM
You do not need much programming knowledge to be a sysadmin. It's more important that you be familiar with the system. However, it would be a good idea to be familiar with shell scripting (ex. bash) and perl.

Margueritte
September 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you for all the info, I will first learn bash.. then perl.. then python..

This is very exciting for me... I have stagnated for a while... a few years ago I went thru a huge learning curve doing websites, databases and now something new.

karlson
September 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hi

Being a former SA you would need:

bash, perl, awk, sed, python.

If you will be supporting Solaris or other variants of Unix, learn sh and ksh.

Everything else would be gravy.

karlson
September 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM
You do not need much programming knowledge to be a sysadmin.

I disagree. Without ability to write scripts and other more elaborate programs a sysadmin could face a lot of tedious repetitive labor(user/group fs creation), which bored me out of my skull....