PDA

View Full Version : What was the best computer you have ever owned?

u-noob-tu
September 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM
i have only owned one computer, which i am currently using to write this, but i think its such a good computer ill list it as my favorite one i have ever used. heres the specs:

Dell Studio 1737
4 x USB ports
HDMI out, VGA out
CD/DVD Reader/Writer
e-SATA Slot,
PCI Slot
17" 1440x900 Monitor
2.10 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo dual core processor with integrated graphics
4 GB RAM

My dell is now over two years old, but i think it can still stand tall in todays market. its just a fantastic computer; right size, extremely flexible (has a ridiculous amount of ports), fast, and just an absolute joy to use. the only thing i can say against it is it doesnt have great graphics because of the Intel integrated chip, but that is a minor flaw to me as i dont do much gaming. it was good with Vista, but with Ubuntu, it just flies. i can see this computer lasting me at least 2 more years, if not more.

Share your favorite computer and its specs! :popcorn:

sisco311
September 1st, 2011, 12:31 PM
ICE Felix HC90 (ZX spectrum clone)
Z80 microprocessor 3.5MHz
80kB RAM & 2kB ROM
black & white TV + a cassette tape player & recorder

Bachstelze
September 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM
http://soekris.com/products/net4501-1.html - Love it! Only bummer is that it only gives you access to 8 GPIO pins when the uC has a lot more.

• 100 or 133 Mhz AMD ElanSC520
• 16 to 64 Mbyte SDRAM, soldered on board
• 1 Mbit BIOS/BOOT Flash
• CompactFLASH Type I/II socket
• 1 to 3 10/100 Mbit Ethernet ports, RJ-45
• 1 Serial port, DB9. (optional 2nd serial port)
• Power LED, Activity LED, Error LED
• Mini-PCI type III socket. (t.ex for optional hardware encryption.)
• PCI Slot, right angle 3.3V only. (t.ex for optional WAN board.)
• 8 bit general purpose I/O, 14 pins header
• Hardware watchdog
• Board size 4.85" x 5.7"
• Power using external power supply is 6-20V DC, max 10 Watt
• Option for 5V supply using internal connector
• Operating temperature 0-60 °C

Nytram
September 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM
The Commodore Amiga I had in the early 90's

Specs:

1 Mb RAM
256 Kb ROM
7 MHz CPU + "Blitter" Graphics chip
Floppy drive

mips
September 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Commodore Amiga.

I had the 500 & 1200 models, computing will never be the same again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_500
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/commodore_amiga500plus_1s.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_1200
http://belgo.com/_Media/commodore_amiga_1200.jpeg

Lucradia
September 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Most Reliable: Gateway M-Series Laptop from 2006-7

Most Powerful: Current One (Signature)

Oldest: Zenith 386 (No Ethernet, but could use network with a special adapter.)

Oldest Actual Working: Performa 600 (Apple)

Too bad gateway got bought by Acer. Otherwise I'd keep them close to my heart. Now I just have ASUS, Lenovo.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
My Commodore 64. That was back when home computing was fresh and exciting. Programmers had to really work to streamline things because they had absolutely no room for bloat.

My 2nd favorite was my Packard Bell 75Mhz Pentium with a 550MB hard drive and 16MB RAM. That was my first modern, Windows based computer. I was pretty stoked that it was about 75 times faster than my C64.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Too bad gateway got bought by Acer. Otherwise I'd keep them close to my heart. Now I just have ASUS, Lenovo.

I never used to like Gateways. But I just bought a new Gateway laptop, and it's definitely my favorite laptop I've ever had.

u-noob-tu
September 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
i knida wish i had grown up in the era of the Commodore 64 and all those other great devices. im only 20, (21 this month!!! :P) and the first computer we ever had in my house wasnt until 1997, and i think my parents said it cost $2000. i dont even remember it.

Lucradia
September 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
I never used to like Gateways. But I just bought a new Gateway laptop, and it's definitely my favorite laptop I've ever had.

Back before Gateway bought eMachines, when I still loved them; gateway had the most reliable, consumer-grade computers in the business around here. They even had those epic white (with black spots) consumer stores that they pulled out of all cities in 2000 or so.

They were on the grade of IBM / Lenovo, etc. But now they're just cheap products for the most part, (like their parent company, Acer has been.)

i knida wish i had grown up in the era of the Commodore 64 and all those other great devices. im only 20, (21 this month!!! :P) and the first computer we ever had in my house wasnt until 1997, and i think my parents said it cost $2000. i dont even remember it.

That performa 600 in my list cost over 1200 USD, and all of the normally upgradable components (RAM, etc. save for harddrive) were all integrated to the motherboard. Bought it with an Apple Laser printer too. At the time of buying (the person who bought it was my "mother" in sheboygan) It was the most powerful machine on the market.

ilovelinux33467
September 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
My Dell Dimension XPS T600r which I had as my main computer a few years back.

Specs:
600MHz Pentium 3
128MB PC100 SDRAM
20GB IDE Maxtor Hard Drive
CD Reader
Floppy Drive
ATi Rage 128 Pro
Soundblaster Live PCI sound card

Grenage
September 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
Probably the first PC I bought and built myself; until that point - thanks, Dad! I believe it was a K6, with an AWE64 and Permedia 2 graphics card (the power!).

If I recall correctly, the AT case was steel and absolutely massive.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Back before Gateway bought eMachines, when I still loved them; gateway had the most reliable, consumer-grade computers in the business around here. They even had those epic white (with black spots) consumer stores that they pulled out of all cities in 2000 or so.

They were on the grade of IBM / Lenovo, etc. But now they're just cheap products for the most part, (like their parent company, Acer has been.)I must have a much different experience. I love my new Gateway, and I've loved every Acer I've ever owned. Acers have been some of the best, most reliable computers I've used.

Do you remember that Gateway used to be called Gateway 2000?

Lucradia
September 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Do you remember that Gateway used to be called Gateway 2000?

Yeah, I had a desktop (not a tower) with that logo on it, my monitor sitting on top of it <3

BrokenKingpin
September 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
My Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. Not even close to the best in terms of specs, but this laptop has served me well over the last 8 years. It has an AMD64, which was just awesome for the time. Not a single thing broke on this laptop and I used it as my primary machine for 4-5 years.

I still use this laptop, but mostly just for testing. I am currently running Debian + openbox on it, which runs quite well.

alex2399
September 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM
Amiga 2000 absolutely. No bloated GUI, options, choices, security headaches, whatever. Just put in the diskette and go. A virus? On/Off switch > Fixed.

Lucradia
September 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Amiga 2000 absolutely. No bloated GUI, options, choices, security headaches, whatever. Just put in the diskette and go. A virus? On/Off switch > Fixed.

Weren't they going to finally update the Amiga / Commodore OS for the newest Commodore release?

Quadunit404
September 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
The one I own right now. Does that count? :lolflag:

KUU
September 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Atari 2600 was the first computer in the 80's, the most fun and enjoyable was the Sega maga drive, the best is a Mac Pro.

philinux
September 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K.

Reason being I learnt to programme in basic and it got me a major promotion. Just prior to the time when PC's started to appear in the workplace.

msandoy
September 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
My best computer is usually the present one, but the one that made the most impression was my first one. A Commodore Vic-20, the model before the C64. I actually have a fully functioning C64 setup with a P4 laptop working as a harddrive for it, loaded with games, just for those journeys down memory lane.

meh_phistopheles
September 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
i've only owned two modern laptops so far. the one i like more i guess would be the first one, a dell latitude d820, only for the simple fact that it's not the netbook i have right now. this small screen is really starting to get to me.

jfed
September 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Mah baby.

Self built gaming computer:

ATI Radeon HD 6950 (DDR5 GPU)
AMD Phenom II 3.4ghz
2TB Seagate internal HD
750watt power supply
Some sort of Asus motherboard, I forget the specs
6GB DDR3 RAM
Running Mint 10 and Win7

Ooh and almost forgot, three 23" full HD 1080p monitors running in Eyefinity.

I love her so.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM

There were actually floppy disk based viruses back then. When you loaded a program from disk, the virus would reside in memory, then when you put in another disk, it would write to it and spread if the disk wasn't write protected. They were created to either not do anything for a specific length of time so you wouldn't know they were there, or to slowly corrupt your disks over a period of time.

You would have to know about it and turn off your computer before putting in another disk. The thing is, they were made to work in such a way that you didn't know about it until it was too late. I did my high school term paper on computer viruses back in 90 when most things were still floppy disk based.

That's cool that you had an Amiga 2000. That was top of the line.

I actually have a fully functioning C64 setup with a P4 laptop working as a harddrive for it, loaded with games, just for those journeys down memory lane.
So you have your laptop hooked up to actual C64 hardware? How did you do that?

Frogs Hair
September 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
My current home build , I won't ever buy an OEM desktop again as long as I can build my own for a good price . When towers completely disappear I my not have a choice except to by an all in one .

blueturtl
September 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Twas either my first: Osborne MiStation 3S (386SX 16 MHz, 4 MB RAM, 40 MB HDD, VGA etc.) or the first one I built myself: PentiumII 350 MHz 128 MB RAM, 8 GB HDD, TNT2...)

The 386 taught me more about computers than anything I've ever used since. I really pushed it hard because I refused to believe in it's limitations. :D I actually got Dune2 to run on it by modifying STACKS in config.sys and some other memory management related parameters in autoexec.bat.

The first computer I built myself was the time computing was most exciting to me. Windows 98 was fresh out of the oven and for the first time I had a computer that wasn't too agey for the time. I could run all the games I could ever want with fantastic graphics and framerates. No upgrade has felt worth my time or money since...

KiwiNZ
September 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
It would have to be my Mac Pro

2 x Quad core Xeon processors
16GB Ram
2 x Radeon ATi GPU's
3 x 2 TB HDD's

I have this in my sandpit, sadly I don't use it as much as I should. The PC I use the most
is my new 27" iMac.

Famicube64
September 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM
The one in my sig. My last computer was an Athlon XP. :popcorn:

aaaantoine
September 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM
The best computer I ever owned was the only one I built from the ground up out of all-new parts. I built it in 2007. It featured such things as an Apevia X-QPACK case, an Athlon 64 X2 3800, an Nvidia 7900GS, and a pair of 160 GB drives configured in RAID 0. All it really needed to lift off the ground was a RAM upgrade (I had only put in 1 stick of 1GB DDR2 RAM because it seemed sufficient at the time).

I sold it about a year later, because I no longer needed a desktop computer at the time -- and I needed the money for other stuffs.

The Triclops (my current computer) is better performance-wise, except for graphics. The case isn't as nice in my opinion. It's simply not as clean inside and out. But hey, it gets the job done, and I don't game nearly enough anymore to warrant the purchase of a faster video card.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM
The first computer I built myself was the time computing was most exciting to me. Windows 98 was fresh out of the oven and for the first time I had a computer that wasn't too agey for the time. I could run all the games I could ever want with fantastic graphics and framerates. No upgrade has felt worth my time or money since...

That reminds me of when I first started building my own. I had one of the early S3 ViRGE 3D video cards. That was back when 3D was first coming to the PC and there weren't hardly any games that actually used 3D acceleration. Later when I got my first Voodoo card, I about peed my pants. Good times. Those times were the only times when the excitement compared to my Commodore days.

speedwell68
September 1st, 2011, 11:17 PM
A Research Machines Nimbus VX/2, mine was heavily customised...

EISA Bus
Intel 80486DX with a Intel P24T co-processor @ 66Mhz
16MB Ram
4MB Matrox graphics card
Creative Labs SBAWE32 sound card
Creative Labs CDROM drive and IIRC a 2GB drive.

That machine rocked at the time.

sffvba[e0rt
September 2nd, 2011, 12:13 AM
I am not sure what the definition of "the best computer" is, but one of my fondest memories was when I go to purchase my first PC for myself, and it had one of these in it :D :

http://mixeurpc.free.fr/SITE_x86-guide/Photos/Grandes/17/P2-266sl28L.jpg

I <3 it too bits...

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
I am not sure what the definition of "the best computer" is, but one of my fondest memories was when I go to purchase my first PC for myself, and it had one of these in it :D :

http://mixeurpc.free.fr/SITE_x86-guide/Photos/Grandes/17/P2-266sl28L.jpg

I <3 it too bits...

Oh nostalgia :P

zealibib slaughter
September 2nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
The best I ever owned was a HP P3 with 512 meg of ram, a 800mhz cpu that was overclocked to 1.1ghz and a overclocked geforce 6200 graphics card. I used it up to about 2008 as my primary and then it lived on until last year as a file server.

Bandit
September 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM
I miss my Tandys, Tandy 1000HX and a Tandy 1000TL/2..

dpny
September 2nd, 2011, 03:44 AM
The current one: 3.33 GHz, six-core Mac Pro. Runs OS X and Ubuntu and Windows 7 in VMs. Most painless Linux/Windows installs I've ever had.

aaaantoine
September 2nd, 2011, 04:13 AM

<image of Pentium II Slot-1 CPU>

I <3 it too bits...

I have a Slot 1 motherboard with a Pentium II just like that sitting on my desk as we speak. I was planning on e-cycling it.

You want it? ;)

sffvba[e0rt
September 2nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
I have a Slot 1 motherboard with a Pentium II just like that sitting on my desk as we speak. I was planning on e-cycling it.

You want it? ;)

Awesome, if I could think of something to do with it to justify the electricity it uses and to get it here I would have considered it :D

blueturtl
September 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
That reminds me of when I first started building my own. I had one of the early S3 ViRGE 3D video cards. That was back when 3D was first coming to the PC and there weren't hardly any games that actually used 3D acceleration. Later when I got my first Voodoo card, I about peed my pants. Good times. Those times were the only times when the excitement compared to my Commodore days.

The difference between my integrated ATi Graphics Pro Turbo Mach64 VT+ and a 3Dfx Voodoo was epic. That's when having a 3D accelerator felt like it made a difference. Today it seems having a good CPU is practically necessary to drive any 3D card, which kind of makes having one moot.

I was never into the Commodores myself so pardon me, but why are those things so revered? Was the tech really so kick-*** for the day or was it the fact that you could program for one yourself for endless entertainment?

Inodoro Pereyra
September 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Most fun:

Texas TI-99/4A

3 MHz, 16 bit processor
256 whooping bytes of RAM
No hard drive
No floppy.
Nothing but the console, connected to a B/W, vacuum tube TV set.

Most stable:

386 DX clone
40 MHz (60 MHz on "turbo")
Don't remember how much RAM.
Motherboard screwed to a piece of plywood.
40 MB, Seagate R-258 HDD (zip tied to the same plywood)
5.25" floppy
17" monitor from an ultrasound machine.
Never, EVER, a crash.

forrestcupp
September 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
I was never into the Commodores myself so pardon me, but why are those things so revered? Was the tech really so kick-*** for the day or was it the fact that you could program for one yourself for endless entertainment?

Both. The tech was pretty kick A for its time. I think the popularity of the C64 is one of the biggest things that made people realize that they could have computers in their homes. The reason Commodore won with the C64 is because they were able to make a quality product for under $600 that put out better graphics and sound than their competitors that cost a couple of thousand dollars. The reason they could do that is because they owned the company that manufactured all of their parts. They also did good because they sold in regular stores instead of just computer and electronic stores.

At the beginning of the C64's life, it had better graphics than the IBM CGA graphics that were still in use toward the end of the C64's life.

Also, I had a lot of fun programming on mine, in BASIC and assembly.

msandoy
September 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
So you have your laptop hooked up to actual C64 hardware? How did you do that?

Yes, the laptop is running freedos and a program called HDD64, it is connected to the C64 via a XE1541 cable. The cable you can build yourself with these instructions:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/xe1541.html

Or buy it ready made for a few bucks more.

You can browse the hard drive on the laptop with the usual LOAD"$",8 and LOAD"$DIRNAME",8 to enter a directory and LOAD"$..",8 to go up one directory. Slow browsing, but it works like a charm. All games are on mountable floppy images.

Edit: The program on the Laptop is called 64HDD, not HDD64.

u-noob-tu
September 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Man, all this old computer stuff makes me wish I had been born 10 years earlier. I think it's just remarkable as to how far we've come. Incredible stuff.

neu5eeCh
September 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
The TRS-80 (still have my TRS-80 pocket computer) and my Apple IIe. The boot up time on my TRS-80 pocket computer is a milli-second or so. :)

jackyboy633
September 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
It's a draw between my Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 600 and my Samsung R580 laptop. The Scaleo was good since it was the most powerful computer at the time (Dec 2003) and it still works and runs M$ Windows 7 without a hitch. My Samsung is good since it is very fast and runs modern games quite quickly. That runs M$ Windows 7 too. :-( Now, here's the specs:

Fujitsu-Siemens:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT (3.2GHz)
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 320GB (huge back in the day)
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9800XT

Samsung:
CPU: Intel Core i3 (not sure of the clock speed)
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M

mips
September 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
The reason they could do that is because they owned the company that manufactured all of their parts.

Buying out MOS was a smart move, something they lacked later on.

forrestcupp
September 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, the laptop is running freedos and a program called HDD64, it is connected to the C64 via a XE1541 cable. The cable you can build yourself with these instructions:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/xe1541.html

Or buy it ready made for a few bucks more.

You can browse the hard drive on the laptop with the usual LOAD"$",8 and LOAD"$DIRNAME",8 to enter a directory and LOAD"$..",8 to go up one directory. Slow browsing, but it works like a charm. All games are on mountable floppy images.

Edit: The program on the Laptop is called 64HDD, not HDD64.That's pretty awesome. Using real C64 hardware, do the images load a lot faster than a real disk in a 1541, or is it still painfully slow? I know with some emulators that emulate the 1541, it loads very slow and some things don't work right in fast mode.

Buying out MOS was a smart move, something they lacked later on.Yeah, that's what enabled them to get their computers into so many homes and put them on top. It seems like they royally screwed things up later, but I don't think it would have mattered. It was inevitable that the world was going to shift to IBM compatible PCs.

msandoy
September 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
That's pretty awesome. Using real C64 hardware, do the images load a lot faster than a real disk in a 1541, or is it still painfully slow? I know with some emulators that emulate the 1541, it loads very slow and some things don't work right in fast mode.

Well, I don't have a real 1541 drive to compare speeds with, but if I should guess, the loading speed is probably a bit faster than the original floppy. I remember more waiting than I have to endure now.

The only problem is with two disk games. I can't change disk in the image drive from the laptop, it is done from the C64.

For emulation I have tried VICE, and found it to be quite unreliable. It has a few hickups with speed and compatibility with floppy images. It works slightly better in Windows than in Linux.

By the way, the C64 I'm using is a late model, C64c from 1989.

forrestcupp
September 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
For emulation I have tried VICE, and found it to be quite unreliable. It has a few hickups with speed and compatibility with floppy images. It works slightly better in Windows than in Linux.

If you're using Windows, the absolute best emulator is CCS64. I just noticed that it has even been updated to work with Win7. I've never run into anything that wouldn't run perfectly with it. The only things that I've noticed glitches in are disk images of some of the old games that were cracked back in the day. But it's a problem with the crack, not the emulator. I remember the same glitches back when I ran the same things from a real disk on a real C64.

ugm6hr
September 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Commodore Amiga.

Agree. My Amiga 500 is the computer I look back on as being inspiring.
Had a BBC Basic before, and subsequent Amiga 4000 & CD32 before I joined the rank & file with a "PC".

Phrea
September 3rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
My best 'modern' computer would have to be my self built trusty AMD K6-III 450 with an ASUS P5A-B mabo.
I don't remember any other specs anymore, but that thing ran for at least 8 years [total] and after I was done with it, my dad used it for a few years.

It's seen a lot of OSses over the years, including *BSD, Windows, Linux, QNX and god knows what else.

I also upgraded it quite a few times, but the AMD chip and the ASUS mabo were always it's heart.
I must still have it somewhere.

My favorite computer of all time would have to be my old IBM 5162, I only have the case of that one, because I once made it into a bed for my cat. [please, don't hurt me]

msandoy
September 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
My best 'modern' computer would have to be my self built trusty AMD K6-III 450 with an ASUS P5A-B mabo.
I don't remember any other specs anymore, but that thing ran for at least 8 years [total] and after I was done with it, my dad used it for a few years.

It's seen a lot of OSses over the years, including *BSD, Windows, Linux, QNX and god knows what else.

I also upgraded it quite a few times, but the AMD chip and the ASUS mabo were always it's heart.
I must still have it somewhere.

My favorite computer of all time would have to be my old IBM 5162, I only have the case of that one, because I once made it into a bed for my cat. [please, don't hurt me]

I too had a AMD K6-III 450, It was top of its class back then. It was mounted on a Asus motherboard, but I can't remember the spec. It also featured a Voodoo 5 5500 GFX card (With two GPU's). It was pure gaming pleasure.

I actually have a ongoing project of trying to transfer some files from an old IBM 5160 (XT). It is still running, but my problem is how to get it connected to a modern computer. Up till now I have been trying with a pure serial cable, with not much luck. Modern tools do not talk well with MS-DOS tools from the 80's.

bouncingwilf
September 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Wrote shed loads of very useful analytical software on a PDP 11/23 using a mixture of Fortran and Macro-11 ( C was only just "Emerging") about thirty years ago. It was a very good tool to learn how to extract the maximum out of available resources. I shudder today when I see how memory and cpu cycles are squandered! Still perhaps it's cos' I'm old and past it!

Bouncingwilf

retchid
September 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Best computer keyboard - Toshiba MSX (bought in 1985)
best computer system - Amiga
Dpaint, worsdworth, superbase, sound trackers etc etc endless list of high quality progs

(if you ever played xcom and dune on amiga then looked at them on pc you will know what i mean beep beep stutter stutter)

most boring operating system windows 3.5 all the way up to win7

most stable - opensuse
easiest to put software on - ubuntu

red_Marvin
September 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM
For varying definitions of "best" either of these could fit the descripction:

My dads laid off Toshiba 2000SXe laptop
grayscale lcd, 60MB hdd, MS-DOS
- This is what introduced me to computing as something else than something running MSpaint or Fuji golf.
Old 90MHz pentium something, running windows 98
- I have fond memories of playing starcraft on this with my brother over a null modem cable, it worked fine, but I had to turn off unit portraits and it got very laggy if somebody managed to get more than three protoss carriers to attack.
My current IBM T43 thinkpad laptop
- I bought it second hand, but the build quality is excellent, except for that the backlight went out recently, but there are spares on ebay.

dmoconnell
September 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I wish i had been born at an earlier time (I'll be 18 on Sept 22)
I like the one my mom had build (a Pentium 1.66 processor running Win98 and then later 2000)

My current one though is awesome
Compaq CQ-50 (Intel Celeron Processor, 2gb ram, 160gb hd and dual booting Vista-Ubuntu11.04)

Swagman
September 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Best computer keyboard - Toshiba MSX (bought in 1985)
best computer system - Amiga
Dpaint, worsdworth, superbase, sound trackers etc etc endless list of high quality progs

(if you ever played xcom and dune on amiga then looked at them on pc you will know what i mean beep beep stutter stutter)

most boring operating system windows 3.5 all the way up to win7

most stable - opensuse
easiest to put software on - ubuntu

You never used Brilliance and TrueBrilliance then ?
I wish there was a way to use that proggie or someone release a native version of it for our platform. Just sooo easy to animate cut & paste brushes etc.

In case you are unaware, When the coding team finished Dpaint they moved over to another company and created a "kickarse" version called Brilliance.

True Brilliance was the 24 bit version.

If peeps haven't guessed the best (all round) computers I ever owned were Amigas.

I even have an AmigaOne

Word-up..My mate in New Zealand just received his Amiga X1000 for betatesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000

forrestcupp
September 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I wish i had been born at an earlier time (I'll be 18 on Sept 22)
There's no point in wishing that. Sometimes I wish I could go back and show my young self what we have today. :)

Back in my Commodore days, my wildest computer dreams weren't as good as what computers can do today. I used to dream about games being in 3D. I remember being amazed at the concept of having a whole encyclopedia in one device like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Now, I have Wikipedia, and anything else I want, on my cell phone.

I think about how exciting things were in my Commodore days, but I forget about having to wait 5 or more minutes for a game level to load. Did anyone play Faerytale Adventures on the C64? Just moving from one area to another took forever to load. I quit playing because of that.

sujoy
September 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM
The best computer I have ever owned is my current one. Core 2 Duo with 1 gig RAM. Compiles my projects, plays the 1080ps and lets me connect to irc and the web :)

Well this is only my second system. The previous one was a P4 one but only 128 RAM. :P

mips
September 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Word-up..My mate in New Zealand just received his Amiga X1000 for betatesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000

/goes green with envy!

Bad choice of CPU though as it's EOL already due to Apple buying the company and canning it.

benerivo
September 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
My Amiga 500 and 1200 were both great, but my personal favourite was the earlier ZX Spectrum. From wikipedia...
In radio or television shows in many European countries, the host would describe a program, instruct the audience to connect a cassette tape recorder to the radio or TV and then broadcast the program over the airwaves in audio format.

sisco311
September 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM
but my personal favourite was the earlier ZX Spectrum. From wikipedia...

Push the record button. push it!
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep brrrr beeeeeeeeeeep brrrrrrrrr brrrr brrrRRRrRRRRrRRRRrrrRRRRrr brrr brrrrr brrrrr beep brrrr brrrr brrrr brrrr

:)

Antarctica32
September 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have never bought a computer, i have always just taken them from junkyards and stuff. But the best i have ever owned has got to be my thinkpad T30. Made in 2002, it looks like it was made yesterday. Its durable yet lightweight build is very nice. It has a 1.8GHz P4. It originally had 256MB of ram, but i upgraded it to 1 gig. The graphics aren't that compatible with linux, but that doesn't bother me. In terms of build quality this computer is a god.

MooPi
September 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM
My latest gaming rig.

Re-purposed Antec case with two added 120mm fans(has 4 total), AMD phenom II 840 3.2 GHz, with 8 gig of ram, Biostar mobo with AMD 770 chipset, AMD 6850 video card, two Western Digital black 640 gig RAID 0,Rosewill 80 plus 530 watt power supply .

I have a faster gamer but this one cost half as much and is just a couple of steps behind in speed. For less that 500$ US I was able to assemble this little gem. It's amazing how hardware prices have dropped.

jhonan
September 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Did anyone play Faerytale Adventures on the C64? Just moving from one area to another took forever to load. I quit playing because of that.
My fav computer is the C64, on which I learned to program.

And for some strange reason, waiting 45 minutes for 'The Hobbit' to load each evening after school didn't bother me.

My fav keyboard was the clicky IBM one on the XT.

Nytram
September 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
And for some strange reason, waiting 45 minutes for 'The Hobbit' to load each evening after school didn't bother me.

The Hobbit was awesome I played it until I finished it. Waiting 5 minutes for a cassette to load on a Spectrum wasn't so bad.. when they actually worked.. I remember the "fun" times of adjusting tone and volume trying to get flakey tapes to load.

jhonan
September 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM
The Hobbit was awesome I played it until I finished it. Waiting 5 minutes for a cassette to load on a Spectrum wasn't so bad.. when they actually worked.. I remember the "fun" times of adjusting tone and volume trying to get flakey tapes to load.
lol - A whole industry sprung up around C64 cassettes... I had the 'Azimuth Head Alignment Kit', the tape head cleaners, and even a method using a cotton bud to flatten out dented tape.

Nytram
September 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
lol - A whole industry sprung up around C64 cassettes... I had the 'Azimuth Head Alignment Kit', the tape head cleaners, and even a method using a cotton bud to flatten out dented tape.

Oh yeah the old azimuth adjustment with a screwdriver.. fun times indeed :P

forrestcupp
September 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM

When I first got my C64, I had a tape drive. When I saw what that was like, it didn't take me long to find a way to get a disk drive. I started out with a 1541-II and ended up with a 1571. The 1571 was awesome because it was double sided and it was much faster.