PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Ubuntu 11 new sound applet

edgreenberg
September 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have a pretty "experienced" home directory. It's existed (with Gnome) under Fedora, Centos, Ubuntu 8,9,10 and now 11.04. I keep carrying all the dot (hidden) files along with me, and I get almost the same environment each time I upgrade or move things around.

When I moved to 11.04, and set Gnome as my default instead of Unity, I got my old volume control instead of the new integrated sound controller, that appears in my Notification Area.

I can kill the volume control, and keep it from starting on login, but I can't figure out how to get the new applet to start and run at all.

Can anybody tell me what's going on under the hood and how to fix?

Thanks,
EdG

kerry_s
September 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Remove gnome-volume-control-applet from startup, make sure you have indicator-sound installed.

edgreenberg
September 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Kerry, Your suggestions got me on a good start.

I had to also remove the Notification Area applet and add the Indicator Applet (there were a bunch of choices for indicator applets with varying collections of indicators.) That brought up a good collection of indicators, including the sound indicator. Pidgin only shows up as a submenu of the Envelope Icon (connectivity?) so I re-added notificiation area, which surfaces the Pidgin icon.

Ed