PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to try out the beta tomorrow?

benc1213
September 1st, 2011, 05:11 AM
I am still debating on if I should or not but I probably will. Unity is really coming alone nicely and I can't wait to see what it will be like in 12.04.

3rdalbum
September 1st, 2011, 06:38 AM
I'm trying the beta today; there won't be many package changes from today to tomorrow. Why wait for the download servers to get busy?

Oxwivi
September 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM
I am still debating on if I should or not but I probably will. Unity is really coming alone nicely and I can't wait to see what it will be like in 12.04. [emphasis added]

Did this post time-slip form the future?

benc1213
September 1st, 2011, 07:03 AM
Did this post time-slip form the future?

I meant it like that. I already know what unity looks like in 11.10 and I was saying I can't wait to see what the more polished version looks like in 12.04.

NightwishFan
September 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
I tested Alpha 3 and it was nice. I do not think I will be testing the beta. I might test the final.

foutes
September 1st, 2011, 07:47 AM
I will give it a shot.I have not tried any of the alphas so I want to see the difference between 11.04 and 11.10.

drawkcab
September 1st, 2011, 07:49 AM
I always wait for RC. Patience is golden.

Of course the last time around I skipped 10.10 entirely and upgraded through to 11.04 only a few months ago.

11.04 has been disappointingly buggy so I'm hoping 11.10 turns a few things around.

Rea Yufi
September 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM
I wills be in beta but gotta wait till sunday to install >_<

LowSky
September 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
I moved to Arch Linux just this week. No more upgrading for me. Now I just roll along.

madjr
September 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
cant wait to get rid of natty, never had so many compiz crashes.. ;/

cbowman57
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
I moved to Arch Linux just this week. No more upgrading for me. Now I just roll along.

I love Unity too. :)

Oh, I won't be trying out the beta, might look again when it's finished

BrokenKingpin
September 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
I am going to try the Xubuntu beta. I am hoping it fixes my touchpad issue. I am also looking forward to seeing the change to LightDM.

I was going to try Xubuntu 11.10. Alpha 3, but it was never released due to some major issue. So hopefully that is all resolved.

Inodoro Pereyra
September 2nd, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm gonna try 12.04...in April 2013.

sanderd17
September 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Downloading it now.

fatality_uk
September 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
I stopped using Ubuntu about one month ago! Almost at the point of leaving the main Linux distros behind. To be brutally honest, Linux is still TOO much work!

I might give the RC a try though even though I really dislike Unity.

sixstorm
September 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
I've been slacking on Ubuntu, so I decided to give the Beta a try since Lifehacker did a piece on it. Installed it in a VM on my Macbook Pro.

I didn't use to like Unity but it seems a lot more polished now. Ubuntu is speed as always. I like the new login screen, snazzy. Looking forward to a RC release soon!

Shazaam
September 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Installed it today on VBox. A little slow but that's to be expected when you virtualize. :) The login box delayed me me for a bit since it currently lacks an "OK" or "Login" button. No biggie. Seems to run fine in 2d otherwise.

BeRoot ReBoot
September 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Brought my netbook to a crawl, then crashed in the middle of installing updates. Result - unusable system.

Second run - same terrible performance, this time my desktop is somekind of unholy mix between unity and the default 1996 GNOME theme. Can't change it through the appearance menu. Also, this time I used aptitude rather than update-mangler, and the updating actually finished, but the result is still a non-booting system.

On my desktop, however, things seem to work more or less as well as can be expected from a dev release.

lancest
September 3rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Running Beta now. Pretty good.
I can get alot done on it without being nagged.

speedwell68
September 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
I love Unity too. :)

Oh, I won't be trying out the beta, might look again when it's finished

Me too, I'll wait for the RC. But yeah, Unity rocks.:D

Gremlinzzz
September 3rd, 2011, 01:47 AM
Downloading beta 'Will be installing:popcorn:

sffvba[e0rt
September 3rd, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yup... I will also as soon as I get home... As much as I enjoy KDE, I must have my Unity...

MonolithImmortal
September 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM
Brought my netbook to a crawl, then crashed in the middle of installing updates. Result - unusable system.

Second run - same terrible performance, this time my desktop is somekind of unholy mix between unity and the default 1996 GNOME theme. Can't change it through the appearance menu. Also, this time I used aptitude rather than update-mangler, and the updating actually finished, but the result is still a non-booting system.

On my desktop, however, things seem to work more or less as well as can be expected from a dev release.
Never ever use update manager for alphas or betas.
Also, don't use aptitude for alphas or betas. You are begging for breakage if you do. My (quite successful) personal policy is to only use apt-get to upgrade during the testing releases. I seldom get breakage. Of course you have to read exactly what's being upgrade, whats being installed and what's being removed. Sometimes bunk updates get pushed through that you have to skip.

markp1989
September 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I just downloaded (via torrent) the desktop AMD64 and alternative AMD64 isos, I haven't tested them out yet, I plan to later today.

both have been seeded to a ratio 0f 10:1 as I do with all Linux ISOs

sffvba[e0rt
September 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Strange, even the Beta doesn't want to connect to my wifi (but an upgrade from Natty has no issues...)

So I guess I will just stick with the newly upgraded 11.10 Kubuntu :) I like the new Muon Software Center...

JRV
September 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
It runs nice on my test system,
I don't run pre-release code on my main systems.

NightwishFan
September 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
I forgot about Muon. I wonder if I can compile it next time I try out Mepis.

8_Bit
September 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm not going to try it. I am going to wait til the final release. It will be less buggy. I also just like the anticipation of new releases :) The longer I wait the more I'll have to look forward to.

Plus, I won't be using Unity anyway, and that's where the majority of the changes in Oneiric are. Do Oneiric Kubuntu and Oneiric Lubuntu have any dramatic changes? I hope the "kernel panic on shutdown" bug has been fixed, that's been happening to me in every *-buntu version of Natty.

Gremlinzzz
September 4th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Beta just Beautiful - I can't believe it !!
I can't believe my eyes - !! I downloaded the ISO file and then proceeded to install it on a USBB MoBo with 1GB of DDR, 2.8GHz dual core and an AGP card with only 8 MB of SDRAM !!!!! and I have Unity Working!!!

It is a whole new experience!!

Just baffling.

Beautiful work ! and I have the smooth scroll on the main screen .. etc..:popcorn:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1837485

ubuntu_cork
September 4th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I too am waiting for 12.04 currently on 10.04 Lucid and so is my gf so it makes support easier :guitar:
Converting her was easy, slapped the lucid install cd in the drive of her not performing laptop, that confirmed that her DVD drive was alive, despite windows telling her otherwise, her screen backlight was working, her wifi card was working, and her multimedia keys on the keyboard responded correctly, all despite the computer shop telling her it was beyond "economic repair" and the best she would get is a few quid for parts if they took it off her.

She is running it on wubi and quietly pleased with herself :popcorn:

Not too sure if I like how gnome3 and Unity are shaping up as User Interfaces so we might stick with gnome 2 based distro for another year or so to see it out. Using Awn for now instead of the standard gnome panels and everyone is very happy :)

Now to get my can of ubuntu in Waitrose :P

rg4w
September 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I installed the beta today, and I gotta say I'm impressed with the work done to refine Unity, esp. Unity 2D. Now having anything less than a stellar graphics card no longer feels like being a second-class citizen. This is a Unity everyone can enjoy.

I still think it's supremely counter-productive not to have a simple one-click option to see all apps installed (did I miss something?), but otherwise it's coming along very well.

lancest
September 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Went to 11.10 as my main system because it solved a bunch of issues on my laptop. Seems pretty stable and nice looking. Small issues.