PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] linux kernel list of hardware and other items

haroldh7
August 31st, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hi, I have searched the forums and could not find anything on the forums that can tell me where I can find a list of stuff in the kernel that is supported, like hardware or if it can run on a i5 cpu or the types of video cards.
I just feel to lazy to download the kernel and look at the source to see what is in the kernel.

Why I ask is I tried several times to install Ubuntu X86 32-bit and 64-bit on my laptop and it installed nicely and ran fine, but when I rebooted it would come up with a large list of errors.

So I would like to see a list of stuff that is in the kernel if its hardware, cpu's, or hard drives, vidoe cards and network , etc, etc.

I don't want a list of what laptops work or don't work. I have searched around the web where I might find such a list, but no luck. So if anyone can help point me to such a list, I would be very happy.

Thanks
Harold

August 31st, 2011, 11:53 PM
It's far easier to list your hardware (lspci is helpful) and ask if it's supported. Linux itself should support most hardware, although you may need a newer version for newer hardware.

Ubuntu X86 32-bit and 64-bit on my laptop and it installed nicely and ran fine, but when I rebooted it would come up with a large list of errors.
If a piece of hardware wasn't supported, it wouldn't have worked in the first place.