PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display messing up when dual monitor and resolution is changed

mcfc4eva
August 31st, 2011, 09:21 PM
Hi,

I have been running Windows since day 1 and decided that I wanted to switch to an Open Source OS. I decided on Ubuntu simply because it looks nice and clean and it had good reviews. I am in no way technical, and do not know any of the Linux jargon so please bear this in mind.

Anyway, I have seemed to installed it and it is running okay apart from one thing so far. I have two monitors (different size/resolutions). They were set to "mirror" by default and it displayed okay.

I tried changing the monitor set-up to dual screen, this worked fine with both monitors set at 1024x768, however my recommended resolution for my primary monitor is 1920 x 1080, when I changed the resolution I got the below result.

Screenshot (http://i51.tinypic.com/2ms4nds.png)

The strange thing is, if I unplug the second monitor and try just the bigger one with 1920 x 1080 it works absolutely fine, or if I try dual monitor without changing the resolution it also works fine. It's only when I try combining the dual monitor setup AND the resolution change that it gets messed up. It worked fine when I was using Windows and the exact same hardware so I'm a little confused...

Can anybody shed any light on what's happening and why?

Note: I don't know what graphics card or monitor models I have, if you need this information to help me troubleshoot the problem can you first guide me on how to find out?

Thanks,
Mike

jfed
September 1st, 2011, 12:30 AM
This may be better off in the "General Help" section as it really has nothing to do with Desktop Environments.

Just tryin to help :p

mcfc4eva
September 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks & Sorry. Assumed "Desktop Environment" would be to do with desktop/displays etc.

Not sure how to move the thread though...

mcfc4eva
September 2nd, 2011, 01:03 AM
I have managed to get the resolutions correct with dual monitors, however it only works if displays overlap by about 400px any less, or if they are organised to be side-by-side then the display mucks up!

I did manage to solve the problem completely by selecting "Ubuntu Classic (No Effects)" on the login screen at the bottom. This is the nearest solution I can find, I would love to hear if anybody has solved this with the normal Ubuntu login?

Thanks,
--Mike

squigish
September 3rd, 2011, 04:30 AM
How are you running your dual monitors? Xinerama? TwinView? Second X screen?

mcfc4eva
September 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
How are you running your dual monitors? Xinerama? TwinView? Second X screen?

I don't know. I go to System Settings > Monitors and just configure them as dual monitors there. None of the options you said are listed there?

See here;
http://i53.tinypic.com/2rystqg.png