PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu - pull-down menu

ChrisOfBristol
August 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Since I use Ubuntu on my PC and Lubuntu on my old laptop, I have configured Lubuntu to look as similar as possible to Ubuntu on my PC.

The one remaining thing is to have something similar to my three Ubuntu pulldown menus (Applications, Places, System) at the top left. I've found four .menu files, I don't know why there are four, and I'm not sure whether Lubuntu would be able to put three menus on the panel even if I managed to split the appropriate one of the menu files into three. Is it possible, and if so what do I need to do.

peyre
September 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
I might be able to help you with the Places menu.

I'm a Lubuntu and Xubuntu user myself. I was disappointed that in the new version of Xubuntu, the Places menu was missing and no longer available. (That ticked me off--they removed an innovation I'd found really useful, and not even made it available to add back!)

It turned out the solution was to install xfce4-places-plugin in Synaptic.

I haven't tried that in Lubuntu, but it might do the trick for you. I'm not sure what you need to get the Applications menu.

kerry_s
September 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Since I use Ubuntu on my PC and Lubuntu on my old laptop, I have configured Lubuntu to look as similar as possible to Ubuntu on my PC.

The one remaining thing is to have something similar to my three Ubuntu pulldown menus (Applications, Places, System) at the top left. I've found four .menu files, I don't know why there are four, and I'm not sure whether Lubuntu would be able to put three menus on the panel even if I managed to split the appropriate one of the menu files into three. Is it possible, and if so what do I need to do.

I very much doubt it will do that. Lxpanel is very simple.

amjjawad
September 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I very much doubt it will do that. Lxpanel is very simple.

I simply second that and I don't see any point of having something similar to GNOME :)
LXPanel is simple and meant to be simple. Why to complicate what is already simple?
LXDE was designed for Old Machines that people about to get rid of or even forgot in their store. Instead of breathing dust, these machines will breath fresh clean air with LXDE :)

However, if you want to have something like Unity Dash or Dock, please follow this:
http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-screencast-lxpanel-2-panel-layout

kerry_s
September 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
There is actually a "directory menu" which pretty much looks like places to me. It's even configurable.