PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Another 64-bit vs 32-bit thread (+ questions about swap)

OakRaider4Life
August 31st, 2011, 03:59 PM
I am currently running a 64-bit edition of Kubuntu 11.04, and I have loved it so far, except for one nagging issue-- I am and always have been a pc gamer. You would think that this would make switching to linux in general an issue, but of course there are lots of great gaming solutions out there for linux and Wine has become quite an incredible piece of software to help on that front.

However, using wine and Play on Linux, i have had much trouble getting anything working in the 64-bit environment. By which I mean I have never successfully launched a game in Wine. Ever. And djl, an exceptionally expansive games for linux library, is available only in 32 bit. So i find myself strongly considering a move to a 32-bit version of kubuntu (at least until gaming gets better 64-bit support).

There is one thing holding me back at this point however... and that has to do with a question regarding my virtual memory. My system runs 2GB of RAM, which I am aware is the maximum that a 32-bit OS can utilize. However, I also have 1GB of swap space (which I could probably cut down to 500 truthfully... my system seems to not use quite that much of it). This means I'm operating with 3GB total of virtual memory. Would a switch to a 32-bit OS render my system unable to utilize the additional 1GB of virtual memory, even though it's swap memory?

Any insights on this (or anything additional to do with 32 vs 64 bit systems) would be greatly appreciated!

dino99
August 31st, 2011, 04:46 PM
you need to consider and update your knowledge :(

http://blog.pault.ag/post/3107062816/why-64-bit-computing-is-really-dumb-right-now

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

OakRaider4Life
August 31st, 2011, 05:50 PM
Looks like I was mistaken in my numbers. Thank you for your response/help!

OakRaider4Life
August 31st, 2011, 05:53 PM
looks like i'll definitely be moving to a 32-bit install..