PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Theme" switches back and forth on its own?

MontrealDude
August 30th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi,

Anybody know why my 'theme' loads up differently every time I reboot? (Ubuntu 11.04 - clean/full install)

I much prefer the "Ambiance" theme, and yet it boots up 'Clearlooks' every other reboot... All windows that are not 'fullscreen' still use the ambiance theme, but the top bar and the full sized windows show up as clearview.

When I try to switch it back to Ambiance, nothing happens. It just alternates between each theme between reboots, on its own.

This has been happening ever since I did the apt-get update/upgrade after a clean install last week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

llanitedave
August 30th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I just noticed this myself a couple of days ago. Right in the middle of working in a Libre Office document, all the icons and window bars suddenly changed. This was in Gnome classic. When I opened up the Appearance utility, everything switched back again. This happened several times in one day, for no apparent reason.

I've been working in Unity the past couple of days, and it hasn't happened -- yet. Still, I'd been using 11.04 for a couple of months, and that never happened until this week.

MontrealDude
August 31st, 2011, 08:21 AM
If you did any apt-get update/upgrade lately, there might be something in there causing this to happen...

Not sure if anyone is aware of this yet or should we file a bug report?

Nobody came forward with an answer.... :!:

jfed
August 31st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Recently I was having some good old fashioned LAN fun with a friend of mine, when he wanted to change his theme around. So naturally he goes through the regular procedure to do such. Yet when he did so, the task bar and window border didn't change, only the notification area on the panel did. Not exactly the same as your issue, but we tried restarting the xserver with the keystroke ctrl+alt+backspace and it worked like a charm.

I dunno, see if that works, but keep in mind that using that keystroke will kill all graphic programs open at the time of execution.

Frogs Hair
August 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM
If your Ubuntu is looking like an old version of Windows this may help .
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/fix-ubuntu-linux-mint-theme-changing-to.html

MontrealDude
September 2nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks Frogs Hair, does this fix work the "exact" same way in Ubuntu?

I'm not that familiar with command lines so I just want to make sure before I go typing all that stuff in...

Looks EXACTLY like my problem though, thanks a million for the link!

:D

wildmanne39
September 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hi, yes that fix is also for ubuntu.