PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Another FFmpeg Question. How to Delete Original File?

dniMretsaM
August 30th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Title pretty much says it all. How do I delete the original file after a successful conversion? I've googled and looked through several guides but haven't found the answer. I'm writing a Python script to combine various things and part of it entails conversion with FFmpeg. That's why I've been asking questions about it. If there is no way to remove it with FFmpeg, I'll do it another way. I just figured it be easier to do it as part of the conversion.

dniMretsaM
August 31st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Bump.

dniMretsaM
September 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
So, um, yeah. I'm having fun waiting around.

andrew.46
September 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM
I am not sure about the exact nature of your conversion but if you are using the same container you could simply use the -y option and overwrite your original file? Obviously the output filename would need to be the same as the input...

dniMretsaM
September 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
No, its a different file type and most likely a different name. Good thought though.

shantiq
September 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
in this case do this (works with all supported ffmpeg formats)

ffmpeg -i file.flac file.mp3 && rm file.flac

if you want to do it for a BATCH

for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i "$f" "${f%.flac}.mp3"; done && rm *.flac

MAKE really sure you do not want the original kept as this really deletes file not in the bin really gone ::)))

fdrake
September 2nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i "$f" "${f%.flac}.mp3"; rm $f; done

eehh i am borrowing your code if you don't mind.... :P

shantiq
September 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
GO FOR IT NOT mine code is code

do not forget if you want this particular one use -ab too to fix your bitrate on the mp3

example

for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -ab 320k "${f%.flac}.mp3"; done && rm *.flac

otherwise you end up with a shi**y 64k which is the default but you probably know that ::))

dniMretsaM
September 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Ok, I knew you could do that, I just didn't know if there was a way to do it within the FFmpeg command. I guess not. Thanks to all and thread solved!