PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba M400 - Install disk won't boot

Vizhon
August 29th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu on a Toshiba M400 laptop/tablet with a Intel Duo processor in it.

All the guides I am finding are outdated and are related to older 6.x, 7.x and 8.04 versions of ubuntu and all claim that the installation boot disk should work as it is. I have tried 10.04 LTE and 11.04, in both 32 and 64 bits and the problem I keep getting is the same.

When I try to boot the disk, Intel Boot agent throws the error: No Boot Filename Recieved and then goes back to trying to boot from the HD..

I say trying because my main reason to wanting to switch to Ubuntu now is that my windows install has been taken out by a malicious virus and won't boot at all anymore because most of it's drivers are corrupted, so instead of reinstalling windows, I just want to switch to Ubuntu. Can't find my disks for reinstalling windows anyway, and it has only been used as a web-box and multi-media system almost since I got it, so LINUX will work just as well as Windows for the job.

Does someone have a clue what could be keeping it from booting from the CD and how I might be able to get it to, so that I can install it on the machine?.. I'd like to use Ubuntu, but if I must, I will start trying other versions of LINUX, starting with Red Hat.

Vizhon
August 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM
/bump

No one got a clue what supposedly changed between 8.04 and 10.04 that would keep Ubuntu from booting on my laptop?