PDA

View Full Version : Can Ubuntu Dapper Do All This?

Kernel Sanders
May 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone!

As some of you know, i've been "hanging around" here for a month or two now, playing with Live CD's of various distro's, and asking questions in an effort to learn as much about Linux as I can so I can someday "make the switch" from my beloved Windows XP Pro SP2.

Well last night I tried the RC of Dapper as a Live CD and I loved it.....

I was playing with it for quite a few hours, and when I went back to my Windows XP Pro SP2 something weird happened....... I DIDNT LIKE IT!!!

I actually missed my Ubuntu! :p

I was planning on making the switch to Ubuntu when my Windows XP Pro SP2 became obsolete (thus getting more than my money's worth from it) but now i'm not so sure.......

Dapper has seriously made me consider switching NOW (well, in a few days when Dapper goes final)

However, i'm not sure that I actually CAN switch yet? I need several things from a computer, and i'm really not sure whether Ubuntu Dapper can do them all yet? :confused:

So I thought i'd ask all you Ubuntu experts if Dapper can do what I need, as if anyone would know, you guys would :D

So if I start listing what I need a computer to do, do you think you could tell me if Dapper could do all that? I would be very very greatful if you could! :)

So here goes: (Btw, I dont want to have to pay anything for the capabilities I need, so if you have to pay for software/something to get something from my list to work, id consider it a "no" :( )

1) I need to be able to run Office 2003 - Open Office/Abiword unfortunately isnt good enough to suit my needs yet :( (can I do it in wine?)

2) I need to be able to use my HP Printer Scanner Copier all in one. (could I run that in wine too?)

3) I need to be able to watch DVD's

4) I need to be able to copy DVD's, both encrypted and non-encrypted

5) I need to be able to copy CD's, both encrypted and non-encrypted

6) I need to be able to rip my music CD's to MP3 files

7) I need to be able to play MP3's/Xvid/Ogg/DivX/Quicktime/MWA/WMV/AVI/DRM's MP3's (Like the one's you download from napster) etc......

8 ) I need to be able to overhall Ubuntu's default fonts so that they use windows fonts (Webpages looked weird without windows fonts?) (P.s = I cant seem to do this in the Live CD)

I think thats about it?

So can I confidently install Dapper when it goes final, or can Ubuntu not do what I need yet? (I have no doubt that someday it will though 8) )

Many thanks for all your help and your welcoming attitude towards noobs like me over the last month or two =D>

All the best!

John

Rackerz
May 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Glad to see another liking Dapper, it really does kick butt.

It can 1,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 as far as I know. Printers are always abit i'ffy in Linux and I haven't had experience with them. But as far as I know all the other things you need to be satisfied with using Ubuntu will work in Ubuntu.

Just so you know you will need w32codecs to play DVD's etc. But you can just use 'Automatix' to install them.

Belathor
May 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
#1 is a no for sure.

EDIT: or a maybe? There is a thread called Microsoft Word (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168396&highlight=Microsoft+Word) in the beginner forum with 4 pages of "nope, no Word for you"... but if it works, great! That'd be sweet!

Rackerz
May 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Well #1 can be run in Wine I think, but I know for sure Office 2000 (whatever the Office before 2003) can be run under Wine.

colo
May 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
#1 is a snap with CrossoverOffice, a commercial spin-off of Wine, produced by CodeWeavers.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Gustav
May 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I'd say yes to all of them (but #1 afaik)

I have a HP all in one and it works just fine.

niviche
May 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
2) I need to be able to use my HP Printer Scanner Copier all in one. (could I run that in wine too?)

I have a HP Officejet 4215 (printer, scanner, copier, fax machine), which worked out of the box. No need for wine.

Stew2
May 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I was playing with it for quite a few hours, and when I went back to my Windows XP Pro SP2 something weird happened....... I DIDNT LIKE IT!!!

I actually missed my Ubuntu! :p

John

Symptoms from being bitten by the Ubuntu bug! :D LOL :D

Minyaliel
May 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I've experienced no trouble using OpenOffice to write and then open the same documents and printing them on WinXP based school computers. But if you want to be sure, you can always save them as pdf's. I know for sure that Windows documents work in OpenOffice without any trouble.

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I personnally see no use for #1. Which feature in Office 2003 do you need so desperate that you can't use OpenOffe, Staroffice or Abiword as replacement?

I'm using my Ubuntu Dapper at work in a completely Windows environment. I must say, there 's only one application I found no substitute for (Visio 2003). Everything else, I do just fine with a Linux counterpart. Exchange mail, browse server, printing, document exchange with collegues, etc... no problems.

onesojourner
May 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM
playing videos is a snap. I use a combo of mplayer and totem with the codecs and I can play anything that gets thrown at me. ripping cds are easy, just have to get the mp3 codec (lame). good luck, I did the same thing with breezy RC. I have never looked back. took me about 2 weeks to really figure out how things work and get everything set up good. I dual booted windows (good option for you) I just never switched over.

Lovechild
May 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM
To every question involving "can GNU/Linux do this" the answer is normally yes unless it's "Can GNU/Linux get me laid" in which case the answer is sadly not with 100% cerrtainty.

you can run Microsoft Office in GNU/Linux, you need to use Crossover Office to get that kind of support.

Support for .evil propriatary media formats is explained in great detail using a simple search - however the quick version:

1) enable universe and multiverse repos.
2) install every gstreamer package (ones labelled 0.8 can safely be disregarded)
3) install thoggen (for dvd ripping)
4) install dvdcss (you need to search the forums for this one, there's a script you need to invoke.. dead easy)

Boom, 4 steps to break the law - I call it the "fighting the man" guide.

5) Once they arrive in the store, go buy the Fluendo codec packs (www.fluendo.com)

Rather than fighting the man, I suggest you keep legal, no pirating movies and music and use free and open standards to store your data.

ssam
May 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.codeweavers.com/site/compatibility/browse/cat?app_id=779

sounds like it might partly work.

the next step is to use qemu, or vmware to run windows in a virtual machine.

Kernel Sanders
May 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Cool, thanks for all your help guys! :D

So I guess its a case of whether I can live without MS Office then.......

You can definately play the following codecs in Dapper "MP3's/Xvid/Ogg/DivX/Quicktime/MWA/WMV/AVI/DRM'd MP3's (Like the one's you download from napster) etc......" :confused:

Really? Wow......

I think its time to load up the Dapper Live CD again and see how hard the Ubuntu bug actually bit me then....... :p

Thanks again!

John :D

sup
May 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I am not sure about those Napster songs, they say you need windows on their sitehttp://www.napster.com/faq/freeservice.html#systemRequirmetnsConfigq1

Footissimo
May 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hopefully this will provide more detail :)

1) I need to be able to run Office 2003 - Open Office/Abiword unfortunately isnt good enough to suit my needs yet :( (can I do it in wine?)

As others have said, you can use Crossover office (http://www.codeweavers.com) for this - its rated as a silver (http://www.codeweavers.com/site/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=779) for recent builds of Crossover...so that looks good. Re-check that Openoffice can't do what you need - there is also koffice - available in the repositories.

It's difficult to say for sure, but HP usually provides drivers for linux and their products so it's likely that you're in luck. My HP printer works the same in linux as it does in Windows..except for the annoying update reminders (not present in linux!). Have a look at the Hardware Compatability List (http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/) from linuxquestions - its far from complete (wish more would add their reviews!) but is a good help.

3) I need to be able to watch DVD's

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats?highlight=%28formats%29%7C%28res tricted%29)

4) I need to be able to copy DVD's, both encrypted and non-encrypted

I'm not sure how much encryption makes a difference so someone else will have to answer, but you can get Nero for Linux (http://www.nero.com/en/NeroLINUX.html) which will do DVDs...or just look in the repositories for an extremely fine program called K3b (http://www.k3b.org/) which is a fine CD / DVD burning program..and my preference on any platform.

5) I need to be able to copy CD's, both encrypted and non-encrypted

See above - k3b / Nero and several GNOME specific programs too

6) I need to be able to rip my music CD's to MP3 files

There are several programs to do this - the one of the easiest (and which is included on the default install is SoundJuicer (http://live.gnome.org/SoundJuicer). To make it rip to MP3 - just use this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=182144&highlight=mp3+juicer) guide.

7) I need to be able to play MP3's/Xvid/Ogg/DivX/Quicktime/MWA/WMV/AVI/DRM's MP3's (Like the one's you download from napster) etc......

Depending on whether its legal or not ;) You'll find a zillion different music players for MP3 and Ogg. To enable MP3, see here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats?highlight=%28formats%29%7C%28res tricted%29) ..again check legalities - for licenced MP3 support there is a Fluendo (http://www.fluendo.com/) plug-in. Ogg is fine. Mplayer (in repositories), Xine (one engine for Totem), Video Lan Player (VLC) will play the video formats (and see restricted formats link). There is also the mozilla-mplayer plugin which works beautifully for mozilla / firefox and I think, Opera too.

8 ) I need to be able to overhall Ubuntu's default fonts so that they use windows fonts (Webpages looked weird without windows fonts?) (P.s = I cant seem to do this in the Live CD)

Getting the MS fonts is quite easy - theres the msttcorefonts in the repos...but you can go one better and make fonts look reeeal nice - just search around this forum - there is a howto or two on the subject.

Sorry to go over any old ground

Kernel Sanders
May 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
@ Footissimo

WOW, thankyou very much for your help! :D

I'm continuing to use the Live CD and i'm loving Dapper more and more every second i'm usng it. I am seriously considering doing a fresh install of Dapper as soon as it goes final. :cool:

The only thing thats currently holding me back is the Dapper fonts. After using windows they just look weird? Also, web-pages look really odd too with the dapper fonts?

I have a fonts folder I wish to use on a USB key, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to install them while running the Live CD. I've posted in the noobs forum, but no-one seems to be able to help :(

Anyone here have any idea's?

Thanks again Footissimo!

John :D

Padrig Leamhnach
May 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I have a fonts folder I wish to use on a USB key, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to install them while running the Live CD. I've posted in the noobs forum, but no-one seems to be able to help :(

I believe you can copy the fonts folder to your home folder, and rename it '.fonts'. Then you may have to restart your applications for the fonts to show up. I haven't tried this on a live CD, but it should work.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Dynamite
May 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM

John

I don't know if anyone suggested this to you (I didn't finish reading the thread) but you could run MS Office 2003 in a VMware server session, "thus getting more than your money's worth from WinXp Sp2 " although sadly you can't play 3D games in a VMware session :( .

Anyway there is a great HowTo for setting up the VMWare server beta (I think I read it a couple of days ago in the Cafe). Good Luck switching to Dapper. :D

Kernel Sanders
May 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I believe you can copy the fonts folder to your home folder, and rename it '.fonts'. Then you may have to restart your applications for the fonts to show up. I haven't tried this on a live CD, but it should work.

Hope that helps,

Jim

You are a god among men!!! :cool:

I finally have my dapper Live CD looking great! 8)

**Link to my now great looking Live CD desktop** (http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/518/screenshot9vb.png)

Looks like i'll be switching to Ubuntu a lot sooner than I thought! :mrgreen:

sotonin
May 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
hmmm how did you do the transparency of the top and bottom interface bars???

:)

BoyOfDestiny
May 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM
hmmm how did you do the transparency of the top and bottom interface bars???

:)

Right click any of the gnome panel bars, choose properties.

Then choose background, choose solid color, and you can move the little bar to adjust transparency.

Kernel Sanders
May 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Is there any way to get the menu's equally as transparent and coloured? :confused:

Dapper just rocks!!! :cool:

graigsmith
May 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
#8 - for fonts all you do is make a .fonts folder in your home directory, put any font there you want. and it works. i have several free fonts in there, and even any microsoft font works also. it's probably possible to install them for all users as well, i just did it in my account though.

ronlybonly
May 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
As far as #1 goes, I have been (almost) completely satisfied with OpenOffice's capabilities. The only trouble that I had was with printing address labels. Any programmers our there who want to improve the label/mail merge feature in OpenOffice?

polo_step
May 29th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I personnally see no use for #1. Which feature in Office 2003 do you need so desperate that you can't use OpenOffe, Staroffice or Abiword as replacement?
A non-beta English grammar checker.

It's an absolute essential for a few hundred million ESLs, a whole bunch of subliterate native speakers and people like me who write for publication and sometimes miss obvious errors due to fatigue and distraction when editing.

Abiword had a beta grammar checker plugin when I downloaded it a while back, but it was at that time substantially inferior to Word's.

surfjdh
April 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
hp psc 1300 allinone works great, with cupsys

mips
April 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I dunno about #1 as I have never used Wine but for all the others in your list the answer would be 'YES'.

My HP 6213 works just fine in Linux and that is a multifunction printer.

forrestcupp
April 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I know this is an old thread and it's too late now, but I don't think any DRM audio files will work in Linux. I know that DRM enabled wma/wmv files will not work, which is what some websites like Walmart's music downloads use. Since everyone seems to think it will work, someone please show me how to do it.

As for playing nonDRM mp3's, wma's, wmv's, etc. Yes, you can play them.

And Crossover Office is a commercial program, which the OP said makes it a "no"

mips
April 13th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I know this is an old thread and it's too late now, but I don't think any DRM audio files will work in Linux. Since everyone seems to think it will work, someone please show me how to do it.

No, they wont work but nothing stops you from removing the drm crap from your files and then playing them. Never done it but I know it can be done.