PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Heard Of Tutoring Via Skype?

derekeverett
August 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Over the years I have taken some computer related/programming courses purely out of interest. I have also from time to time paid for access to video tutorials of the same nature.

It occurs to me that private tutoring in these areas could be done over Skype or a similar service.. but a quick google search later I can't seem to locate any person or service doing anything like that. Anybody familiar with anything like that?

BrokenKingpin
August 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have not heard anything myself, but it sounds like a good idea. I have worked of a few software projects where where the majority of our communication was done through Skype, and it worked quite well. It also helps that it is cross-platform (for now anyways).

dniMretsaM
August 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I have a friend who will be taking violin lessons via Skype. Her teacher is in Oklahoma for a while. That's the first I've ever really heard of it, but it seems like a good idea.

KUU
August 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Yes I have done language learning lessons via Skype, very effective as it's one of the closest forms of immersion without physically been in that country you are learning the language of.

hope this helps.

beew
August 30th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I have a friend who was giving Spanish lessons via Skype, but he didn't meet his students through ads that say tutoring on Skype, it was something that he worked out with his students later after a few sessions in person.

Legendary_Bibo
August 30th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Private tutoring breeds poor students.

I was someone's private tutor and eventually they stopped taking notes, and then stopped paying attention in class. I mean why should they take notes when someone can walk them through everything they're supposed to learn when they want it?

jonathonblake
August 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM
a quick google search later I can't seem to locate any person or service doing anything like that.

Probably becuase the individuals/organizations that utilize Skype for private tutoring don't broadcast that fact.

jonathon