PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu 11.04

balusk
August 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I am trying to install ubuntu 11.04 from a live cd onto it's own hard drive. I have vista on a seperate drive as well as a 3rd drive for other files.

When the cd starts, it shows the purple screen with the keyboard icon at the bottom on screen 1, then it shows the ubuntu loading screen (with the 5 red/white dots) on screen 2. Then, on screen 1, it shows the splash screen that has the menu looking bar at the top with internet access indicator, volume control, and a power button, but the installer dialog box never pops up. The loading screen is still on screen 2, but isn't doing anything. I can move my mouse around on screen 1, but can't click on any of the buttons at the top. It stays like this until I restart my computer.

I've tried unplugging either of the monitors, but it still only shows what those monitors would have shown if I hadn't unplugged it (screen 2 only shows the loading screen; screen 1 only shows the purple screen with the keyboard at the bottom, followed by a long pause when the other screen would be showing the loading screen, then shows the splash screen again.

This was using a live cd, I redownloaded the iso and put it on a usb drive. I get the option to either install or run from the usb drive. if I choose install, it does the exact same thing as the live cd. If I choose to run from the usb drive, it starts to boot up, shows the loading screen on screen 2 again, I hear the startup music as screen one shows a black screen with the mouse visible, but screen 1 stays black (except for the mouse), and screen 2 still shows the loading screen. Again I can move the mouse around but nothing else.

In case it matters, the 2 screens are dvi (screen 1) and hdmi (screen 2)

The computer starts up just fine in windows, and I had 10.04 installed on it a while back, but deleted the partition to use the drive for something else.

dino99
August 29th, 2011, 05:05 PM
have you both integrated graphic & video card ? Have you a bios setting to activate only one ?

balusk
August 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have a EVGA Geforce GTX 295, the motherboard does not have an integrated graphics card