PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] developer version for ubuntu

shubham1
August 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
i want a version of ubuntu which is specialliy amed at developers
i did not mean that it sholud be totaly command line.it should be user freindly secure
and comes insatll with many devloper tools.i know i can insatll softwares from ubuntu software center.
:)

AlexDudko
August 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Every application available for Ubuntu will work in any its version.
It's not the core system it's the application you use.

Mark Phelps
August 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM
As far as I know, there is NO developer-specific version of Ubuntu, but you should go to distrowatch.com and look through the distros listed there. There may be another Linux distro that comes preinstalled with the developer tools you want.

arubislander
August 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
You could try your hand at spinning your own.

MAFoElffen
August 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
As far as I know, there is NO developer-specific version of Ubuntu, but you should go to distrowatch.com and look through the distros listed there. There may be another Linux distro that comes preinstalled with the developer tools you want.
Correct-- nor for any mainline OS, whether Linux, Unix, Windows, Apple OSx.

- What is your target OS that you want to develope "for"?
- Do you want to be cross-platform?
- What type of applications do you what to target?
- What developer tools do "you" have experience on and are productive with?

People are individuals. What tools you need, want you would be productive with are individual to you and your production requirements.

I choose Ubuntu because of it's track record as a Linux Distro, the "developer tools" widely available for it, as well as it's available developer utilities.

If you generically asked me if I thought of it as a developer version... That would be a matter of perspective, as I started out coding assembler and pascal 30 years ago... Most everything I started out with, with programming (a terminal, an ediitor, a compiler) is there.

In this basic distro, everything is there to code, compile and debug app's. It would depend on your experience, how much effort you wanted to expend and if you wanted a challenge. You can't say that for all (other) OS'es.

Thankfully, beyond the basics, this distro (Ubuntu) Is easier to develop on as it has so many very good developer tools and utilities available to it! It also hass other (included) app's for documentation, correspondence and the "other functions" of IT day-to-day life. Then there's the available versions controls and source management... This is just the short list available for Ubuntu.

I used to have to spec tools and app's for a corporation... In the end, you're going to decide on an OS, maybe a a Dev IDE, other utilities and tools that will fit in with it, Libraries that will help you to be productive... Then you are going to change it by creating your own macros and libraries to make it your own and to suit you.

I used to spend most of my time in MS Visual Studio and hated it. I did it because that was required to work were I did. I now spend my time doing basically the same, in Eclipse IDE... and fire up MS and other OS'es to do cross-platform testing..... I could do that testing in VirtualBox, but some things are still not the same and are dependent on OS hardware calls and APIs. Then there's my other job, where I use Linux to repair MS or to install various OS'es for customers.

F.G.
August 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM
so, i think ubuntu is pretty well setup for programmers. i mean, it comes with a text editor with syntax highlighting, native support for c/c++, python, tcl and probably other scripting languages and stuff. in the repos there are IDE's and most of the programming tools you could want.

i suppose it would be interesting to have a linux distro which was designed for cross platform development, with virtualised versions of OSX and windows, however i guess it would have to use Wine isntead of windows and have the windows tools pre-installed, i guess it still would be quite limited (with hardware, etc).

shubham1
August 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
yes evry software is avaibale could you tell me this
ubuntu one not working
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1830738
blue fish not saving sessions
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1832091
my net spped comes horrible i have already paosted a thread for it

shubham1
August 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
my mail is not working no errors one time i send mail to my account the message reached only two
considered spam and with erros and now it is not sending.gmail has never accepted in spam too .

shubham1
August 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM
my mail is not working no errors one time i send mail to my account the message reached only two
considered spam and with erros and now it is not sending.gmail has never accepted in spam too .

Smart Viking
August 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
If stuff is not working, then what you need is _not_ a developer version of ubuntu.

Also, a develop version of ubuntu makes no sense, then you would be developing for the developing version of ubuntu and not ubuntu, a metapackage with common tools used in development would make sense however.

shubham1
August 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
If stuff is not working, then what you need is _not_ a developer version of ubuntu.

Also, a develop version of ubuntu makes no sense, then you would be developing for the developing version of ubuntu and not ubuntu, a metapackage with common tools used in development would make sense however.
developer version will come setup with these and with no problem as my susystem,m has many problems

shubham1
August 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
my system is currpted or got currpted at the time of insatllation.it was a dual boot setup first time it does not and in windows inly 1 partion was left and the other were not there. scond time it work with many errors sound not coming many many so i reinstalled but still spped is horrible nand windows was lost but data was in 105gb filesystem..i have reinsatlled every time using the same pendrive.

shubham1
August 31st, 2011, 02:01 PM
can you suggest me some meta packages.