PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Convert video to mp4 without compromising on quality.

New00Folder
August 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hi!

My problem would seem out of place here, but I posted here 'coz I trust the Ubuntu community more than the stray opinions on the net.

Here's the situation:-

My sister bought an Ipad recently and she wants some videos from me which are in formats like avi, mpg, mkv, etc. These would first have to be converted in a format supported by itunes eg. mp4.

I first tried VLC but itunes (in a windows system) doesn't understand the output mp4 file even though other media players can play it.

Then I used another software in windows. It has presets for formats supported by ipad but the setting includes scaling the video to (640x480) even though the source file has resolution of about (400x300). The output file size turns out to be more than the double of the source's size. Trying to keep the output file size approx. equal to the source file size results in very bad picture quality.

What I'd like is to be able to convert the files such that
1> It is not scaled to a resolution different from the source's.
2> Quality doesn't degrade much.
3> Increase in file size, if necessary would be OK.

Now I'm too lazy to keep looking for the correct software. I've got itunes installed in a windows system. But since I run ubuntu most of the time, I'd like to know if there's a program for conversion for linux.

I am comfortable with bash, so feel free to suggest any such program you might have come across in the past.

Thanks

madeinfamous
August 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
allo New00Folder!

you should try this one!

HandBrake: http://handbrake.fr/details.php

PPA: https://edge.launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-releases

have a nice day!

:)

New00Folder
August 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks a lot madeinfamous. I used handbrake to rip a DVD once about a couple of years. It had totally slipped out of my mind. I'll see how this works out now.

New00Folder
August 30th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Handbrake is exactly what I needed. Thanks.