PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Torrent speedy like hell

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I'm just downloading the Dapper RC via Torrent. Whow that's my fastest download ever I guess. Steady around 380 KB/s.

Just which they could implement torrents for apt-get as well.

GarethMB
May 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
using gnome-bt?

Turgon
May 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I thnk they got one of the official servers seeding the torrents, because I got a steady 370 kb/s with only one seed (no peers). Not many can do that.

eentonig
May 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
using gnome-bt?

Yes, still using gnome-btdownload. I really should install another client to be able to resume interrupted downloads. But basically gnome-bt works perfect.

Engnome
May 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Yes, still using gnome-btdownload. I really should install another client to be able to resume interrupted downloads. But basically gnome-bt works perfect.

I thought it could do that? well i prefer bittornado, its in the repositories

sudo apt-get install bittornado-gui

Cyfr
May 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I got 800kb/s on the ubuntu torrent :D

Wonder if it can max out my new 24Meg connection... :x

kanem
May 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I don't want to make anybody feel bad, but I've been wanting to brag about this for a few days.

I just moved to London and Ubuntu's UK servers must be in the office next door or something because I'm pulling down updates at 7MB (bytes, not bits!) per second.

I didn't even know that speeds went that high. When I saw it my jaw literally dropped. I wouldn't have believed the number if I hadn't counted down the seconds on one of the major Dapper updates.

Too bad my home connection maxes out at ~100kb/s.

NeghVar
May 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
The ubuntu torrent has always been pretty fast.

angkor
May 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Ubuntu Torrent speedy like hell

I've noticed the same thing. Beautiful!

I also want to urge everyone with broadband and some bandwith to spare to download the final Dapper Drake through torrent and keep seeding for a couple of days.

I'm planning on downloading different versions (AMD64, I386 Kubuntu, Ubuntu) and seed them at night at my full upload capacity (which isn't much, but everything helps).

Let's all help as much people as we can to be able to download dapper as quick as possible.

RAV TUX
May 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I'm just downloading the Dapper RC via Torrent. Whow that's my fastest download ever I guess. Steady around 380 KB/s.

I agree I did four at once fast as hell (amd-64 & i386, desktops and alternates)

BoyOfDestiny
May 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I don't understand the obsession with getting apt-get to use torrents...

Don't you get similar speed from the repos? I usually get it around 400kBs...

If you think it saves on server load, that's what mirrors are for. People with low bandwidth connections, or in rural areas with capped dish connections... It will likely make their downloads slower...

If there are iso's for multiverse/universe, I think those could be more easily seeded, then just mounted/burned and added to the sources list... Then again, is it necessary?

angkor
May 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Don't you get similar speed from the repos? I usually get it around 400kBs...

The repos always give me my max downspeed. But when Breezy was released the repos were dreadfully slow for a couple of days. We have to wait and see what happens when Dapper's final repos open up.

SeanTater
May 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM
On torrent I can hit 575kb/s (the practical limit for my ISP), I'm supposed to be able to get (in theory) about 600kb/s.. That's good IMO. But the upload speed never gets above 50 kb/s, and rarely gets above 3 kb/s, even when I'm not d/l ing and my connection is otherwise idle.. My up speed is around 1/200 of my d/l speed..

On normal d/l I never hit above 256kb/s, and if I do, it's only about 1/5 of a second. But I rarely hit any less than 200kb/s either.

I use Road Runner from my cable company. It works, but I find somewhat unreliable..

(whoa - I just got a steady 617 kb/s -- above the theoretical limit)