PDA

View Full Version : Netflix on Chrome/Chromium/OS

Mars11
August 28th, 2011, 10:25 PM
You can catch up on our efforts here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754594) and here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1821942&page=4). This will be the continuation of the first thread since it became locked. But for those of you who don't want to go back and read it all here's a summary:

We extracted the Netflix Plugin from a Chromebook and have attempted to get it working in Chrome/Chromium (Browser), but get error:
Netflix Video Player Unavailable
Error Code: NPL3

Our apologies - we cannot find the Netflix Video Player on your Chromebook.

If this problem persists, please update you Chromebook from the "About Chrome OS" menu.
When we try it in Chromium OS we get this error:
Developer Mode Unsupported
Error Code: NPL15925257

Please ensure you are not running your Chromebook in Developer Mode.

If the problem persists, please call Netflix Customer Support at 1-866-716-0414.
We are still working on it and that is what this thread will be for.

user1397
August 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm just gonna say that it's awesome how you all are working on this! We all appreciate it, and if there's anything I can do to help (testing comes to mind) let me know!

PC_load_letter
August 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM
You can catch up on our efforts here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754594) and here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1821942&page=4). This will be the continuation of the first thread since it became locked.

That was a shocker to me this morning. I was always checking on that thread to see your progress guys. I think you should complain for the reason it got locked (off-topic). How is that possible in the Community Cafe? I'm now doubting some of the moderators here can read English.

As per the question in the poll, I voted "No". I'm not optimistic as it seems to me the culprit here is Netflix as they are unwilling to make anything run on Linux. I heard that they are in the process of encoding all their videos using HTML5 (or H264 I guess), maybe then someone will figure out a way to make it run on Linux.

Mars11
August 29th, 2011, 06:21 AM
At first I was a bit surprised, but I don't really care, this way it gives me more control over the thread.

cheat117
September 27th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Where was the Netflix plugin located inside your chromebook? maybe me must emulate the location (i.e. /usr/bin/chromeOS/netflixvideo.sucksballscausewedontgiveoutinfomatio neasily)

dozycat
September 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.thisweekinlinux.com/2011/05/twil051511/
May be...... May be we have hope.

Mars11
October 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Okay, it looks like it's official. I think we're getting Netflix on Linux (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/native-netflix-client-coming-linux-in-12-months/), but this has happened before. Let's hope this isn't fake like the rest of `em.

dniMretsaM
October 3rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Okay, it looks like it's official. I think we're getting Netflix on Linux (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/native-netflix-client-coming-linux-in-12-months/), but this has happened before. Let's hope this isn't fake like the rest of `em.

That's good news! It's proprietary, which is bad, but it's a step in the right direction to wider GNU/Linux acceptance among major companies.

rg4w
October 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I made my semi-annual call to NetFlix this morning to ask about Linux support. The rep was enthusiastic to note the Chrome deployment, and suggested that this could mean a Linux port not far down the road. But he was also quick to note that at this time there are no specific plans to do so.

dniMretsaM
October 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I made my semi-annual call to NetFlix this morning to ask about Linux support. The rep was enthusiastic to note the Chrome deployment, and suggested that this could mean a Linux port not far down the road. But he was also quick to note that at this time there are no specific plans to do so.

You call them once every other year? Anyway, that seems to be the run-of-the-mill answer people are getting from the customer service people.

rg4w
October 5th, 2011, 12:15 AM
You call them once every other year?
~Twice a year, which is about as often as the next round of rumors surface about NetFlix finally supporting Linux.

dniMretsaM
October 5th, 2011, 02:43 AM
~Twice a year, which is about as often as the next round of rumors surface about NetFlix finally supporting Linux.

So wouldn't that mean you call them biannually, not semiannually?

rg4w
October 5th, 2011, 09:32 PM
So wouldn't that mean you call them biannually, not semiannually?
Semi = half
Bi = two

dniMretsaM
October 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Semi = half
Bi = two

Appaently they mean the same thing.

bi·an·nu·al /bīˈanyo͞oəl/
Adjective: Occurring twice a year.

sem·i·an·nu·al /ˌsemēˈanyo͞oəl/
Noun: A semiannual plant.
Adjective: Occurring twice a year; half-yearly: "their semiannual meetings".

I didn't realize that.

Mars11
November 30th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Sorry about my absence. Has anyone done anything that might be considered progress?

kingtiger01
February 16th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Well you can forget the supposed support, those Developers dont even work at Netflix anymore... I Awesume the project was scrapped...

----

Whats the progress note on the plugin?

Useragent string changes are specifying that, if the plugin is present, it should work.

drawkcab
February 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath. Netflix just doesn't see a market so they don't care.

iamwhatiseem
April 8th, 2012, 09:58 PM
The best hope for this is the announcement that a soon to be future kernel will support android apps natively. (Not through an Android AVD which works but resolution sucks)
I have been saying this for some time - there is an Android Netflix app - HELLO??? - how hard can it be to get that to work natively.

skierkyles
April 8th, 2012, 10:32 PM
The best hope for this is the announcement that a soon to be future kernel will support android apps natively. (Not through an Android AVD which works but resolution sucks)
I have been saying this for some time - there is an Android Netflix app - HELLO??? - how hard can it be to get that to work natively.

Well Android doesn't use X (The windowing system on every linux distro). So that's kind of a big deal. Lots of things like digital rights management would need reworking too I'd imagine. Really Android and Linux as its known on the desktop are not that similar.

irv
September 24th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Well it's been about 6 months since the last post, and we still don't have Netflix on our Linux OS. Today I see Netflix has made some improvements for Android Netflix app: http://www.slashgear.com/netflix-for-android-gets-tablet-esque-update-24248975/
I can watch Netflix videos on my Sony Blu-Ray, Roku, and Windows but I am afraid it will be a cold day in "H" before I can do it on my Ubuntu.

josephmills
September 24th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I do not have the $$ for netflixs but could someone try this.

1) Install Wine and Wine tricks,

2) Install safri to your wine

3) in safri get siverlight using there browser

4) restart wine

5) start safri

6) go watch netflix's

I think that it would work maybe a little bit of wine tweeking.

Gremlinzzz
September 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Write them call them ask when Netflix will be Linux compatible.
Squeaky wheel gets the oil:popcorn:

irv
September 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I do not have the $$ for netflixs but could someone try this.

1) Install Wine and Wine tricks,

2) Install safri to your wine

3) in safri get siverlight using there browser

4) restart wine

5) start safri

6) go watch netflix's

I think that it would work maybe a little bit of wine tweeking.

I tried this but I still get this message:

To watch instantly, you''ll need a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

Windows
Windows Vista or Windows 7
Internet Explorer 8 or higher; or the latest version of Firefox; or the latest version of Chrome
1.2 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
Mac
An Intel-based Mac with OS 10.4.11 or later
Safari 4 or higher; or the latest version of Firefox; or the latest version of Chrome
1 GB RAM
Chrome OS
A Google Chromebook or Chromebox running Chrome OS 20 or higher
The Safari runs OK, and I am running version 5 which is higher that 4.
I don't thing this is going to work. Or at least I can't get it to work.

irv
September 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Write them call them ask when Netflix will be Linux compatible.
Squeaky wheel gets the oil:popcorn:

I have been one of the most squeakiest wheel you ever seen and they must be getting tired of me calling but when you call all you are doing is talking to a tech and they say they will pass the message on. The even tell me that many others have called but the company is going to do what they are going to do, and that is not support us Linux users. (Do you think MS might have some pull on what there are doing?)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM
anyone tried booting chrome os in a virtualbox and running netflix in that?

Merk42
September 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM
(Do you think MS might have some pull on what there are doing?)Considering it's supported on OS X (as well as things like Android), no.

irv
September 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM

I thought I would give it a try, but ran into a problem. I downloaded Chrome OS for Virtualbox but all it did was reboot my laptop every time I tried to run it. Then I downloaded the USB version and tried running it off a USB drive. I couldn't get it to boot up. I am starting to believe my hardware is not able to run it. So I gave up.

Does anyone know of a version of Android that would run on a PC? I would give that a try if it does.

thatguruguy
September 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM

If you're going to do that, why not just open Windows in virtualbox and use Windows to run Netflix?

irv
September 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
If you're going to do that, why not just open Windows in virtualbox and use Windows to run Netflix?

I know what you are saying, but this is the first time in my life I am windows free and I kinda like it that way. I have Windows on one old desktop, but the only little people that use it is my grandkids. They use it for games.
The only reason I try things like this is because I like to. I can live without running Netflix on my laptop because I have so many other things it runs on. I guess it get me that some of these company just ignore use Linux users.
Just for the record I had winxp running in a virtualbox a few years ago and it ran Netflix but not well enough for me. It keep stopping and was ran jerky.

Frogs Hair
September 26th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Only if it is in the best interest of Netflix.

neu5eeCh
September 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Netflix will appear on Ubuntu/Linux when Shuttleworth plays ball with them. By his own admission, he's not interested in playing ball with Netflix. The person you have to persuade is not Netflix, but Shuttleworth.

Ahem. And I quote:

[B]OMG Ubuntu: Has Canonical spoken to Netflix about bringing the service to Ubuntu TV?

Shuttleworth: Netflix is EVERYWHERE so i think it would be a natural conversation to have, but i’m not aware of the status one way or another, and besides, today is not the day for announcements.
[/broken record]

aysiu
September 26th, 2012, 02:06 AM
It's a bummer Netflix isn't on desktop Linux, but it is by no means strictly on Windows/OS X. It's on Chrome OS, Android, Roku, PS3... even Nintendo 3DS. If you refuse to use Windows, there are still plenty of non-Windows ways to get Netflix streaming.

emedina
October 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I called Netflix this morning and was told that they want to work with Linux but the only thing holding them up is to hear back from Linux to get the ball rolling. :popcorn:

hydn79
October 7th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I doubt it. How many casual home users are on Linux.

It is disappointing though.

Nice poll though! Start a petition, I'll sign it :)

emedina
October 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Since Mark Shuttleworth is the dude that needs to get the ball rolling, Lets contact him directly. We want Netflix Dammit!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/contact-details

Blackmag+c
October 8th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Who would they speak to in regard to 'linux'?

That's quite a wide field.

Is Marky Mark the man with his finger in the right pie?

I don't know, but it is the ONLY thing stopping me from making the switch. Who wants to virtualize everytime they want to watch a movie?

neu5eeCh
October 8th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Who would they speak to in regard to 'linux'?

Shuttleworth.

That's quite a wide field.

Ubuntu is the 800 Pound Gorilla -- not Fedora, not Opensuse, not PCLOS. Ubuntu.

Is Marky Mark the man with his finger in the right pie?

Yes. He's the man. That said, there are probably vast swaths of fossier-than-thou Linux Muhlahs who would issue Fatwahs based on the kind of deal Shuttleworth would likely agree to.

I don't know, but it is the ONLY thing stopping me from making the switch. Who wants to virtualize everytime they want to watch a movie?

Yes, it's too bad. Shuttleworth seems to think he can get 200,000,000 users solely through the introduction of exceedingly pretty and clever lenses, all while ignoring the mass market appetite for products like Netflix. However, it's fair to say that the Linux high priests also need to back up such a deal. The problem is not with Netflix. They're easy. All they want is a market and income.

lovinglinux
October 8th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I doubt it. How many casual home users are on Linux.

It is disappointing though.

Nice poll though! Start a petition, I'll sign it :)

There are already petitions that are running for a long time.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=944446

http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html (24932 signatures)

There are also new ones:

http://www.change.org/petitions/netflix-support-linux-os-s (2 supporters)

aysiu
October 8th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think it matters whether or not Shuttleworth says "We want Netflix on Linux" or not.

In 2007, Linux users wanted Netflix. No Netflix.
In 2007, Android basically didn't exist.
In 2008, Android came into being. And now it's 2012 and almost every Android device (phone or tablet) can do Netflix streaming, and no traditional Linux desktop/laptop can do Netflix streaming (with some kind of Windows-related workaround like dual-booting).

Even Chromebooks can do Netflix streaming.

What Shuttleworth needs to do is work with an OEM to release a product that has and will continuously support preinstalled and upgraded versions of Ubuntu indefinitely. It has to be a product people can buy off-the-shelf that has a unique design (not just Ubuntu installed on a normal Windows computer) and competitive pricing. If he does that and markets it well, Netflix will come to that device, I assure you.

But I doubt he'll do it. It's 2012. Back in 2008, I already laid out all the steps that Ubuntu needed to compete:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/ubuntu-the-open-source-apple-challenger/

None of that has happened yet, and so no Netflix.

neu5eeCh
October 8th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Even Chromebooks can do Netflix streaming.

What Shuttleworth needs to do is work with an OEM to release a product that has and will continuously support preinstalled and upgraded versions of Ubuntu indefinitely...

I disagree that that's a per-requisite for Netflix. Your mentioning Chrome OS is a case in point. Chrome OS hardly meets any of the requirements you laid out for Ubuntu. Chrome OS's survival is far from guaranteed. It's far from certain that the product will be continuously supported. Google played ball with Netflix. Canonical/Shuttleworth, for whatever reason, has not.

aysiu
October 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I disagree that that's a per-requisite for Netflix. Your mentioning Chrome OS is a case in point. Chrome OS hardly meets any of the requirements you laid out for Ubuntu. Chrome OS's survival is far from guaranteed. It's far from certain that the product will be continuously supported. Google played ball with Netflix. Canonical/Shuttleworth, for whatever reason, has not.
Actually, Chrome OS meets all of the requirements I laid out. They are custom-designed products (not just off-the-shelf Windows laptops with Chrome OS installed on them). They're guaranteed updates and full compatibility with future Chrome OS versions. And they're competitively priced.

neu5eeCh
October 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Actually, Chrome OS meets all of the requirements I laid out. They are custom-designed products (not just off-the-shelf Windows laptops with Chrome OS installed on them). They're guaranteed updates and full compatibility with future Chrome OS versions. And they're competitively priced.

...release a product that has and will continuously support preinstalled and upgraded versions of Ubuntu indefinitely.

No.

"How many versions back do you support? We support only the most current dev, beta, and stable channel releases (http://support.google.com/chromeos/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188447)"

"It has to be a product people can buy off-the-shelf that has a unique design (not just Ubuntu installed on a normal Windows computer)"

No. Google is simply using dumbed-down WIndows computers. The only facet of the design that's unique is its deliberate curtailment of specs without a commensurate drop in price. They're deliberately handicapped "windows computers". As is repeatedly pointed out by users on this forum (among others), why should they buy a Chromebook when they can spend the same or less on a Windows computer with several times the capability?

... and competitive pricing.

No again. Here's (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2858603011) an Amazon price list. I can drive down to Radioshack, today, and get a 299 dollar computer with superior specs all around.

The issue, for Netflix, is not the platform, it's the $market$ and the $money$.

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I would subscribe to netflix if I could download the movies and watch the download. I don't like the whole streaming concept though because of inability to rewind/fast forward etc smoothly.

irv
October 12th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I would subscribe to netflix if I could download the movies and watch the download. I don't like the whole streaming concept though because of inability to rewind/fast forward etc smoothly.

I guess I kinda disagree with this. I just move the slider back to where on want to rewind too. Downloads are nice if you just watch on one device, but I have Netflix on my Nook, Roku, Sony Blu-Ray DVD player and two computers. So I would have to keep moving my movie around or put it on a server and take up storage. I like streaming.

gary987
October 13th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I have seen bluerays player running linux, and I have a mediabox running linux.. both have netflix. Its not about whether it can be done for traditional linux, but whether netflix will ever do it.. I'm guesssing they could release something in less than a day, but they wont.

As soon as I see another service like netflix that supports linux, I will drop netflix and probably never look back

evilsoup
October 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that Android and Chromebooks both use hardware-based DRM. That's why you can't just install ChomeOS on a VM and expect Netflix to work; and that's why the Android integration with the kernel probably won't be much help.

We'll have to either hope that Microsoft ports Silverlight DRM over to Moonlight (lol), or someone else can do it; or in five years, when Netflix changes from Silverlight to whatever, that that solution will be cross-platform.

deh_p3000
December 13th, 2012, 11:19 PM
a bit late for a reply but, here is netflix official stance,

Thank you for contacting Netflix customer support.
Here is the transcript from your recent chat with customer support:

Netflix Tanya:
Hey there! This is Tanya, how can I help you?

You:
hi
You:
I would like to ask exactly why netflix will work on damn near any computer/phone/tablet etc.... except one running linux?

Netflix Tanya:
Good question! And I have an answer for you! May I ask (quickly) who I'm chatting with please?

You:
my name is Garry #$%^&, and i am a current subscriber, and the only thing holding me back from moving to linux full time is netflix.

You:
and if another streaming service adds support for linux you can bet i will cancel. and move to them.

Netflix Tanya:
I can understand your frustration Garry! And what I was able to find is that Netflix is not compatible with Linux. The reason why is we use Silverlight to stream movies. The Microsoft Silverlight plugin uses DRM. Although there is a Linux/Ubuntu alternative to Silverlight called Mono/Moonlight, it does not have any DRM built in and it is very unlikely Microsoft will ever make a DRM option for it. I'll gladly take your feedback on getting Linux available for our super tech-savvy users like you, though!"

You:
so basically netflix allows microsoft, to dictate what operating systems you can use... thats great.... wonderful. Honestly i'm sick of "microsoft" you guys need to find another may to manage digital rights.

Netflix Tanya:
I totally understand what you're saying and I'll be glad to take your feedback to our Development Team so that you can be heard. You are not alone in your thoughts about Microsoft and hopefully in the near future Linux will be a viable option for Members to utilize.

You:
so how is it any dvd player pretty much can play the streaming? i still am a little unsure as to why you can't write your own .app for linux......

Netflix Tanya:
It's something that Technical Support has been looking into but at this moment Netflix and Linuz have not been able to create an application that won't stop crashing! I guess it's not as easy as it sounds in theory....yet!

Netflix Tanya:
But we are not giving up!

Check out our Help Center if you have any more questions.

- Your Friends at Netflix

Please note this is the entire conversation, the chat was terminated right after her last message without any other comments or without checking if i had other questions.

monkeybrain2012
December 13th, 2012, 11:57 PM
my name is Garry #$%^&, and i am a current subscriber, and the only thing holding me back from moving to linux full time is netflix.

That is kind of lame if you tried to make a demand.:) Why would they listen to you if the bottom line is that you would choose netflix over Linux full time? After that conversation they could be rest assured that they would continue be getting your money.

sdowney717
December 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM
That is kind of lame if you tried to make a demand.:) Why would they listen to you if the bottom line is that you would choose netflix over Linux full time? After that conversation they could be rest assured that they would continue be getting your money.

He was talking to a borg. A robotic person programmed to offer nothing of substance. You might as well have talked to someone working at Walmart.

scorpiosnake
December 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
As soon as I see another service like netflix that supports linux, I will drop netflix and probably never look back

Here you go: Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/signup/videos/ref=nav_menu_video_redirect_combined/182-8171501-5784325)

I have never had a problem watching tv shows or movies on Amazon.

What I don't understand is, if Amazon and Google can do it, why can't Netflix?

irv
December 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Yes I use Amazon Prime and others. I also keep Netflix because I have a Sony BlueRay and a Roku box. Plus if I want to watch a movie or TV show on Netflix I have a Asus Transformer and a Nook with Netflix. It seems that Netflix supports everything but Linux. I truly believe that MS has something to do with Netflix not supporting Linux. If Linux keeps growing Netflix might come around that is why I voted "Yes".

irv
December 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM
This was on the News this morning.
Dec 25, 2012 - 6:14AM PT
Christmas Eve AWS outage stings Netflix but not Amazon Prime (http://gigaom.com/cloud/christmas-eve-aws-outage-stings-netflix-but-not-amazon-prime/)

EDIT: This was the best tweet.

'"Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a @netflix was streaming, not even Mickey Mouse."
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/26/tech/web/netflix-down-tweets/