PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 10.10, everything looks too big

GNU Gnerd
August 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hello all. Because I wasn't able to get WPA_supplicant working with 8.04 and my university's wireless uses 802.1x, I finally bit the bullet and installed 10.10 on my laptop and am in the process of transferring everything over to the new partition. All of my programs and themes and such are working flawlessly, except for one thing: everything on the screen is bigger than I'm used to. The menu bars and icons are a bit larger, the toolbars in Firefox and OpenOffice take up more space, and even the solitaire cards in AisleRiot are huge!

It basically looks like I'm running at a lower resolution than normal, but both 8.04 and 10.10 claim to be running in my laptop's native 1680x1050. I've tried messing with the system font size, but that only helps text, not the rest of it. I've tried zooming in and out in programs, but that just makes things look weird, and doesn't work in all programs anyway.

Is there a way to set your resolution higher than the native resolution, or somehow "zoom out" the entire desktop + programs, or do something else to make everything look a bit smaller? Thanks in advance for any help.

Frogs Hair
August 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Have you tried installing a proprietary driver yet ? On my system I see the same thing without the Nvidia driver installed . It looks fine everything just bigger , but I've only experienced this with 11.04 .

GNU Gnerd
August 29th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Have you tried installing a proprietary driver yet ? On my system I see the same thing without the Nvidia driver installed . It looks fine everything just bigger , but I've only experienced this with 11.04 .

Yes, I already installed the NVidia driver when I installed Compiz. I didn't notice any change in appearance afterwards. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Dlambert
August 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Interesting.

mörgæs
August 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
How does 10.10 look in a live boot?

GNU Gnerd
August 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM
How does 10.10 look in a live boot?

Essentially the same as it does when installed,

Frogs Hair
August 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Look in the Nvidia X Sever Settings > X Sever Display Configuration . Look at the resolution being used see if it is different from your monitors native or default resolution .

GNU Gnerd
August 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Look in the Nvidia X Sever Settings > X Sever Display Configuration . Look at the resolution being used see if it is different from your monitors native or default resolution .

It's currently set to the native resolution. I tried changing it to something else and then changing it back, no change.