PDA

View Full Version : The gNatty Bunch

cbowman57
August 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
A thread for everybody that hung out with us during the development of gNatty, & anybody else that feels like joining us. :)

bulldog
August 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm in :popcorn:

Now I'm going to watch the MotoGP in Indianapolis.

cbowman57
August 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm in :popcorn:

Now I'm going to watch the MotoGP in Indianapolis.

Cool, I'm not sure if it's being broadcast on a channel I can pick up. I enjoy watching them every once in awhile.

sanderd17
August 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I love to follow your conversations (I learn a lot with it), so I'm in too.

cbowman57
August 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Good, I'm kind of used to having you guys around.

I learn from you all too, don't think it's a one-way street. ;)

23dornot23d
August 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Ok its good to have somewhere to just chat ..... like it ...... ty .....

I am in too ... :)

Just thinking we were coming to an end with the other projects .....

Wonder if Cecil is still around too ..... not heard much for a while .... :confused:

bulldog
August 28th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Ok its good to have somewhere to just chat ..... like it ...... ty .....

I am in too ... :)

Just thinking we were coming to an end with the other projects .....

Wonder if Cecil is still around too ..... not heard much for a while .... :confused:

Hello Keith,I'm still not done reading your adventure with Arch(bang).
And I agree with you,we (you and Chuck) need another project.
The problem is which project could interest you enough,after fooling with Arch and such.
I'm happy with Debian,it does anything I want,just minor adjustments are needed.
Like want to install the system-monitor extension in the top panel.
Did everything as stated here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/system-monitor-extension-puts-ram-swap.html
Won't work,lg tells me it needed lib Gtop,installed it but no go.
So I have something to do tomorrow evening.

23dornot23d
August 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Ok cheers Bulldog its the first time I have seen that extension .....

Chuck might have it running .....

I tend not to use many extensions .... maybe will once 3.2 is out next month though.

Just trying to get Arch onto a USB hard drive at the moment ..... hopefully it will go

onto the USB and boot up this time .... runs ok from my desktop machine but I need

to get it onto a USB to work it from my laptop.

All good fun .... ;)

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 12:42 AM
No, haven't messed with that extension. Does it try to load at all? What does looking glass say is the problem?

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Yep Im here or there, dont know half the time where im at or going!
:confused:
Im tring GSsuse again, I dont like it...bla bla bla, something better will pop up and its HISTORY
:P

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Yep Im here or there, dont know half the time where im at or going!
Im tring GSsuse again, I dont like it...bla bla bla, something better will pop up and its HISTORY

ArchArchArchArchArchArchArchArchArchArchArchArchAr c... :lol:

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I didnt read the Arch post, I DL it and it wouldnt even boot so I quit trying to fiddle with it.

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Where and what Arch did you guys get, I cant remember but it was only 371megs, mabe I tried the wrong one ???

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Not sure when you tried it but they updated the iso's on the 19th. http://www.archlinux.org/download/

I've used both the net install & the core versions.

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Not sure when you tried it but they updated the iso's on the 19th. http://www.archlinux.org/download/

I've used both the net install & the core versions.

Just tried it again and same thing, says waiting 30 secs for /dev/??? to load, then goes to # in a terminal.

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 03:24 AM
You trying it from CD or USB?

If USB try this method https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Installation_Media#Arch_USB_images

Rasa1111
August 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM
still using gNatty everyday. :D
basically just given up on Unity. lol
Glad I got used to it though, just in case I ever do have to use it.

Well, here's my seat! lol :P
Thanks again CB!

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
You trying it from CD or USB?

If USB try this method https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Installation_Media#Arch_USB_images

USB, gona try it when I get back, thanks

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hey Rasa1111, you found us, good. :)

Yeah Cecil, that's how I did it. Not sure if I tried Unetbootin first & failed, then tried that method in desperation or not, but that's probably how it went. I don't see myself going to the terminal first, unless I was just really bored and curious, which is a possibility. :)

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM
OK....Im stumped! installed but boots to terminal with root sign #
Is there a howto on getting X ?
I cant remember, this is like old Slakware 1.2

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
If you're gonna go for it you really need to get familiar with this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide

If you have 2 computers, seems like I remember that you do, I'd pull up that wiki to reference as I go along. But to get started it's just /arch/setup & yeah, it does seem pretty primitive in comparison to a distro like ubuntu. It's that simplistic, sparse approach to linux though that gives you so much power over the OS. I don't hesitate to say that you'll probably either love it or hate it when you get done installing it.

We're just hanging out, you don't have to go down the rabbit hole. :)

bulldog
August 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
It works...some what...needs some finetuning I guess :P
Looked much nicer in gNatty,but it works.

VanR
August 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Tried to install GNatty this morning into a Virtualbox. Only got as far as the blue curtain screen and nothing else showed. Just the blue curtain. No text for "install" or any menu of any sort. Anyone want to tell me the secret?

bulldog
August 29th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Tried to install GNatty this morning into a Virtualbox. Only got as far as the blue curtain screen and nothing else showed. Just the blue curtain. No text for "install" or any menu of any sort. Anyone want to tell me the secret?

It depends on which version you've got.

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM
It works...some what...needs some finetuning I guess :P
Looked much nicer in gNatty,but it works.

That's on your Debian installation? Looks pretty good from here.

bulldog
August 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yup,that is my Debian install.
But in gNatty the round bars were much thinner and represented [gNatty]my CPU and memory use.
Now it shows the amount of used space on my hdd.
Thinking of installing lmsensors,to see if that is of some help.

Some other question,what's the difference between libnautilus 1 and libnautilus 1a ,I know 1a is for nautilus 3.0,but I,m a dropbox user and to install dropbox it requires libnautilus 1.

VanR
August 29th, 2011, 07:49 PM
It depends on which version you've got.

64 bit version 3 gNatty

bulldog
August 29th, 2011, 07:57 PM
64 bit version 3 gNatty

The v3 should run fine,I have it installed,but I never used a Virtual Machine to test it.
I used an USB stick and booted it to the desktop.
You should have unity and the fallback-mode of gnome.
In the menu you can find a 'install release' option.
Once installed,you have to enable your graphics driver to get to
the Gnome-shell.

But as said,didn't used a virtual box with gnatty,so I can't tell anything about that.

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
@bulldog, I honestly don't know what the difference is. My first guess is that 1a might be a little newer, but that's just a guess.

@VanR, I've had no personal experience installing it in a VM, but I know it can be done. That's how Andrew over at Webupd8 tried it out. To install it you do have to get to a desktop of some sort, then look in the system or admin menu. If it drops you in Unity just search for Install and it will pop up. Unfortunately it can't be installed from the inital menu.

If you're getting a blue screen immediately after the grub menu then you might want to try hitting f6 and using the nomodeset option. Other than those suggestions I don't have enough experience with VM to be of much help.

bulldog
August 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Okay,thank you Chuck,have something to search for.
If I feel lucky I will try to remove 1a and install 1 and see what it brings me.
{don't feel lucky now,will try this when I have more time to waste}

I have a spare partition,I'm gonna try to install Debian to it this weekend and make it experimental only.
Maybe with the shell maybe not,I have to think about that,just to see how long it can run without breakage.
I think that's the way to learn as quick as possible how Debian is working.
So far I'm not dissapointed however.

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM
You got that right, you'll learn more, faster, when you're not afraid to break things. Use whatever DE you're most comfortable with so it's not a distraction.

If nothing else, when it's all said & done it will make you more comfortable with Ubuntu.

VanR
August 29th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Got it installed in Virtualbox, but apparently it won't run Gnome 3 in VM just gnome fallback.

cbowman57
August 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM
The shell won't run if the video requirements aren't met. Is there a way to turn on gl or compositing support in VM?

cecilpierce
August 29th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Well Im about to give up with Arch.
No GUI, startx gives me 3 terminal windows and a big X for the mouse, Im tired
:( :confused: :mad: :guitar:

cbowman57
August 30th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Well Im about to give up with Arch.
No GUI, startx gives me 3 terminal windows and a big X for the mouse, Im tired
:( :confused: :mad: :guitar:

Well before you format everything you might want to try this last ditch effort.

Don't get too concerned, Arch requires you to pretty much assemble the system from scratch. If I hadn't been playing with minimal installs lately I don't know that I would have ever figured it out.

cecilpierce
August 30th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Thats heavy, my eyes are tired of reading google !
Im gona rest for a bit.

Thanks for the file.

23dornot23d
August 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM
No GUI, startx gives me 3 terminal windows and a big X for the mouse
I got that today on one boot up ...... seems it did not set the graphics up properly.

Usually ..... gdm or kdm at the hash gets mine running now .....

If you are running the Nvidia 6200 check the Arch Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1832919&page=3) as I had to set mine up too.

I used Archbang though .... which already as a graphical interface ..... but it also uses slim
which caused me a few headaches getting GS running ...

cariboo
August 30th, 2011, 05:21 AM
If this is turning into an Arch support thread, maybe we should rename it and move it to Other OS/Distro Talk.

cbowman57
August 30th, 2011, 05:28 AM
If this is turning into an Arch support thread, maybe we should rename it and move it to Other OS/Distro Talk.

That's entirely up to your discretion, but it just happens to be the topic currently being discussed. It's likely to be pretty eclectic over time.

cecilpierce
August 30th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Well slowly moveing forward, the only driver I can see is nouveau, tried nvidia and it has conflicks or something, guess im lucky to get this far ! I cant remember all this terminal junk !!!
All I have now is gnome classic (so called).

This is an old firefox and dont have spell checker, well spelling was not my best subject in school.

cbowman57
August 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Just let it chill for a bit, tinker with it when you get in the mood.

I need a Buell mechanic. :)

The other morning I ran up the road on the bike to get some donuts. The bike ran great on the way up, I parked & went inside for less than 5 minutes. Fired it up and it ran fine until I got within a mile of the house, then it got a stumble, or flat spot, right off idle.

Twist the throttle normally and it would bog down. Acted like a tank of bad gas, so I filled it up and added some fuel system & injector cleaner. Yesterday morning, it fired up & ran great. Went to the store in the afternoon, let it sit for 10-15 minutes in the lot. Came out, as I was leaving the lot it started again. I suspect an intake leak, or possibly the rear cylinder cooling fan or temp sensor is putting the system in limp mode.

Damndest thing. :) Gonna see what it does this morning.

cecilpierce
August 30th, 2011, 02:02 PM
My airboat (350 chev) did that, was a few drops of water in the bottom of the carb that blocked the main jets, not saying thats your problem, do you have a bowl drain on the bottom of the carb, alot of aircraft motors have that, guess they get swam grass in the tank :P

23dornot23d
August 30th, 2011, 02:05 PM
If its intermittent like that it certainly sounds like a fuel related problem ...... as you say ....

Check fuel filters etc ..... will be one on the fuel line
or in the carb just as the fuel pipe goes into it.

What was the last thing you were tinkering with ..... lols ... was often the first place to go looking ..... in my case.

Bikes are great when they are running properly ..... mine was a VFR750 Honda ..... rarely missed a beat.

cecilpierce
August 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM
My first bike was a 650 BSA Golden Flash and every time a rain cloud passed over it would not start, had to take the pickup off the mag and hold my Zippo lighter under it to dry out the moisture, then it would boogie :lolflag:

23dornot23d
August 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Older bikes ....

I had a two stroke - always oiled up the plugs .... forever taking them out and giving them a good clean with a wire brush and a rag
then the thing would start .... also was forever messing with the points advance and retarding them to see if I could get extra out of the engine ..... often led to it running very sluggish at low revs ..... but going great once it was revving high .... nearly all modern bikes now I think have electronic gadgets taking care of this ..... not sure whats on the Buell (http://www.google.ca/search?q=buell+carbs&channel=linkdoctor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1042&bih=634) though will have a quick google for it .
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partscarburetion.shtml

Air filters are another thing make sure its clean ,,,, but that if blocked would cause it to run crap all the time ...

Preferred to look for more reliable things as I got older ....
and not tinkering with engines so much ....

Nearly all modern things you get stuck for tools .... so many
crazy little bolts and things needing special tools / equipment
to do anything.

cbowman57
August 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM
There is a cooling fan that exhausts heat from the rather confined rear cylinder, mine has been getting noisy and the last time it was in the shop the computer codes said that it was showing a high current draw, and I noticed that with this heat it's not running as much as I remember it being normal. So, there is a temp sensor in the rear head that triggers the fan, then the good chance I have a fan that is on the way out.

Did it again this morning and I paid attention to it enough to recognize it as the rear cylinder being disabled, identical to, or vey similar to what it does when it hits the rev limiter. So it's going beyond limp mode and into self-preservation mode as near as I can tell. I'm already pricing a new fan, since I know it was already indicating imminent failure I guess I'll start there. I also checked some wiring, added some extra insulation to the wiring for the o2 sensor, just in case. I'd take it to the shop but that's nearly an hour away and it's my only transport right now, plus my track record with Harley dealers is that every time it goes in it comes out with a $700 bill, not in my budget right now.

Oh well, thanks for helping me sort it out. I'll be sure to let you know what the problem was when & if I figure it out.

23dornot23d
August 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Yep always check the main things first .... once you have it tied down to either being electrical or fuel related then follow the track ..... pretty much like sorting a computer out really so you
should be ok .... ;)

Was reading through this .... interesting .... different problem though .... his was banging and popping ....

http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/489629.html?1252391270

cbowman57
August 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yep always check the main things first .... once you have it tied down to either being electrical or fuel related then follow the track ..... pretty much like sorting a computer out really so you
should be ok .... ;)

Was reading through this .... interesting .... different problem though .... his was banging and popping ....

http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/489629.html?1252391270

Yeah, been doing some online troubleshooting too. I do get the popping,stumble off idle and it backfires through the throttle body, when this condition occurs. My bike is fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump but essentially that's what I first thought.

1) Bad gas. < nope
2) Vacuum leak < possible but I think it would do it all the time if that were the case
3) Electrical short < I think it would have blown a fuse by now if that were the case
4) Temp sensor < Every indication it's a problem affecting the ECM, definitely a possibility
5) Cooling fan < Has been going bad for awhile, could easily be throwing the ECM into self-preservation mode. Strongly think this is the culprit, possibly in combination with bad temp sensor
6) Fuel pump going bad < Possibility also but I'm ruling it out for now, think it would be more consistent if this was the problem

23dornot23d
August 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
No idea with fuel injection ..... hope you get it sorted though ......

nice when things run smoothly .... ;)

cbowman57
August 30th, 2011, 10:24 PM
No idea with fuel injection ..... hope you get it sorted though ......

nice when things run smoothly .... ;)

True, though my life rarely runs smoothly. :lol:

cbowman57
August 31st, 2011, 12:48 AM
The Buell solution!!! :)

Ok, before I went to the store this afternoon I pulled out the fuse for the fan. It started a little hard, coughed & sputtered for a minute but the check engine light came on, indicating somthing isn't right, but it's on & stays on, doesn't drift in & out.

ECM switched itself into limp home mode & don't have the cooling so I won't be going far or letting it idle in the heat but it runs great, safely drivable for now. New fan is ordred and with luck I should have it by the weekend. :guitar:

I'm ecstatic. :)

23dornot23d
August 31st, 2011, 01:20 AM
Great news ..... another successful outcome ..... we hope ....

Seems that the Engine Management Systems nowadays rely on all the sensors and
everything to keep everything spot on ..... was watching some videos today on You Tube
of people with their Buells and adding new units and exhausts etc .....

Look to be nice bikes ...... do not go mess it up ..... riding it with no fan .....

Will need some cooling ..... especially if its cooling the rear cylinder ....

Hope the new fan sorts it ...... too .....

Interesting read too .... (says the fan actually is for cooling the Fuel Injection unit - dont think so ) ,,,, sounds odd ...

I would expect .... it to be cooling something that gets hot ... like the cylinder with a piston
shooting up and down inside it making it hot .... but maybe its transferred heat its trying to reduce
who knows ......

Old thread
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/archive/index.php/t-122907.html

This is more recent ..... interesting though ..... ( this sounds more reasonable too ..... )
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Fan

cbowman57
August 31st, 2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah, on the XB the frame is massive, but it's aluminum and also holds the fuel & the rear cylinder is pretty confined. I think the fan does double duty back there, to help evacuate the heat from the cylinder & head as well as keep the fuel system cooled down. I just know that's what has caused me the recent problems & will glad to get it fixed. I'd planned to replace the fan soon anyway, just didn't know what effects it would have on it's last legs. Now I know, and with temps around 35C every day I can't do without it.

Thanks for being a sounding board and helping me organize a systematic thought process to troubleshoot it. :)

It's really been weighing heavy on me the last couple days.

23dornot23d
August 31st, 2011, 02:18 AM
Yep sort of thing that nags the mind when a motor is not working properly ......

We can get back into some serious computing then once its fixed .....

Almost got my networking sorted now .... samba and now webmin (http://www.webmin.com/) is the latest addition .....

Ubuntu has some neat tools for Samba ......

ok not tired yet .... so may see if webmin works ok now .... across systems