PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Going nuts! Icon text alignment.

Drakx
August 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hi
So I've got xubuntu installed on my laptop and while I've had some issues with xubuntu (still feels like a beta some times) for the most part I can just live through it.

However there is one thing thats just driving me insane! and thats icon text alignment forgive me but I'm sure almost all other DE's in the world align their icon text to the center (under the icon) but with XFCE 4.8 its off to the left and looks like my kids have just made the DE :( (no offense intended but it does not look very professional (yes I know its made free of charge, but look at KDE and w/e DE you want they manage to get the text aligned in such away that looks the part :))).

Is there a way to get the following centered under the icon?

Thanks for the help.

azertyh
August 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
hello,
very strange. i have the text centered and under the icon.
post an image of your desktop to see what really it is.

Drakx
August 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Here you go.

Drakx
August 28th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I would just like to add that its not the desktop I have a problem with its more Thunar itself thats not doing as I would like.

Any suggestions?

ktmom
August 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
If I use that file name on my desktop (10.04), it centers and breaks only once. Have you tried going to System > Preferences > Appearance and tried a differnt theme or adjusting the destop font settings?

Drakx
August 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
If I use that file name on my desktop (10.04), it centers and breaks only once. Have you tried going to System > Preferences > Appearance and tried a differnt theme or adjusting the destop font settings?

Thanks for your reply but...
1) I'm not using gnome/unity - using XFCE (I presume your using them from "System > Preferences ..." But to answer your question yes I've tried and it makes no odds at all.
2) It's a Thunar problem not the Desktop itself (though I've just noticed also the Desktop seems to be doing it too)

Sorry if I sound arrogant or if I've offended you.

XubuRoxMySox
August 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I'm on Lucid and not using Xfce 4.8... but you don't have to use Thunar, y'know, and you don't have to have Thunar managing your desktop (if you are).

During my little flirtations with LXDE I found that I really like it's file manager, PCManFM. You can download PCManFM by itself and use it as your file manager if you like it.

Hoping that helps a little!

Drakx
August 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'm on Lucid and not using Xfce 4.8... but you don't have to use Thunar, y'know, and you don't have to have Thunar managing your desktop (if you are).

During my little flirtations with LXDE I found that I really like it's file manager, PCManFM. You can download PCManFM by itself and use it as your file manager if you like it.

Hoping that helps a little!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I am aware that I don't have to use Thunar (and that it does not manage my desktop (xfdesktop)), but I must admit I do like it and would like to continue using it. If I'm honest I've never even given LXDE a look/thought but its some thing to look into.

I've spent hours on the net and it seems like Thunar just does not support what I would consider normal behavior (Filename text center aligned), so with that in mind I'll just live with it and hope either it goes added soon or the ubuntu team or others write a patch to make it do the desired behavior.

Thanks again.