View Full Version : [ubuntu] Interest

August 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Ok so here goes. I am a college student pursuing Computer science and Engineering. Now, i although an a computer student do not have much interest in programming. I started learning Web Development languages but got bored of it. Please can you suggest any other new things that i could pursue which involve programming and are related to Linux/Ubuntu and help me improve my algorithms????:confused:

August 28th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Welcome to the forums. The way you worded your question makes me think of laby. You can install it from the Games section of the Software Center. You get a choice of programming languages (c or python). It starts out with code to get this ant out of a hole without getting caught in a spider web but you have to keep changing the program to accommodate increasingly complex situations.

August 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I found c++ to be a very gratifying language especially when I found qt-creator

August 28th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Python is an easy-to-learn language that is very powerful. It's the main language used in programs on Ubuntu, so there would be lots of things to help with developing if you wish. If you want a career in programming, you'll probably need to learn C/C++ and Java, but they are harder languages. So I would recommend Python for starters.

August 30th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Ok, so python. how do i start? Any book? or pdf?

August 30th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Ok, so python. how do i start? Any book? or pdf?

into the terminal

Then type

Bam! First script!

August 30th, 2011, 03:39 AM
ok, yh it WORKED!!!! now what adt the rest?

August 30th, 2011, 04:34 AM
If you are into python, remember that the syntax is completely different from most languages.
You'll need to remember to indent your code a lot ;-)

So instead of this (Javascript code):

function foo() {
It would be this (Python code):

def hello():
print "bar"

I don't exactly recommend python, unless that is only what you want to learn.

August 30th, 2011, 04:37 AM
If you want to get some practical stuff done quick python is ok though.

import rhythm
import soul
Edit: ^ just a python joke not real code.

August 30th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Full Circle online magazine has a long-running Python tutorial if you are interested.