PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu-desktop or Standalone install?

Anfloyd
August 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hi. I'm new to Ubuntu but slowly finding my feet and starting to love both how it runs and what it stands for. But I'm quite an indecisive kind of guy and can't make up my mind on whether to use Ubuntu with Unity or KDE. Now I'm aware that I can install kde desktop from within ubuntu 11.04 but my question is whether or not there are any significant differences (performance or otherwise) in doing this or just using a fresh standalone install of Kubuntu?

Cheers.

rectec794613
August 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hello, Anfloyd.

Welcome to the forums and Ubuntu.

It's normal for new users to have a hard time deciding desktop environments. Mostly it's a matter of personal choice. If you haven't decided over KDE or Unity, I would recommend you watch some videos and view pictures on each one, and see which fits you best.

Regarding your question about installing KDE from within Ubuntu, there's not gonna be much difference performance-wise. However there might be some conflicts with things such as default programs, icons, etc. For that reason I would recommend doing a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.04. I'm not completely sure how well the former will go as I've not installed KDE over Unity, but have installed it over Gnome several times, and the results were not good. Some stability issues, startup errors. I think it would be best to enjoy KDE on a fresh install. If you have personal files and/or program settings saved, I recommend making a copy of your home folder, and we'll aid you from there.

Good luck!

-Rob

IWantFroyo
August 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
You can just install kubuntu-desktop, but if you want to install the KDE programs, I would recommend a fresh install.

SeijiSensei
August 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
You can try installing from the Kubuntu CD and setting up a dual-boot with your current Unity installation. You'll probably need to repartition the hard drive to free up some space.

Another alternative is to install the Kubuntu ISO image to a USB key (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick) and boot from that. You could run Kubuntu from the CD to try it out, but it's very slow. A USB key has better performance.

realzippy
August 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM
+1 for a "true" Kubuntu.

Otherwise your menus get pretty mixed up.

Anfloyd
August 28th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for your replies. Decided to just to a clean install of Kubuntu and stick with that. I have an ATI graphics card installed and I noticed a few glitches now and again with Unity, not so much with KDE.
Will explore some more now. No doubt you'll be hearing from me again with further questions!
Thanks again.:P

realzippy
August 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I started a similar thread some time ago,there are useful suggestions
from KDE user.Go ahead (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1826925)..

dniMretsaM
August 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
For future reference, there is no need to do a complete new install of Kubuntu. If you run the following command in terminal, it will install KDE and programs and remove GNOME/Unity and programs. This is what I did when I changed and it worked like a charm.

sudo apt-get remove adium-theme-ubuntu aisleriot alacarte app-install-data-partner apport-gtk aptdaemon aptdaemon-data at-spi bamfdaemon banshee banshee-extension-soundmenu banshee-extension-ubuntuonemusicstore baobab binfmt-support bluez-gstreamer bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common branding-ubuntu brasero brasero-cdrkit brasero-common brltty-x11 build-essential capplets-data checkbox checkbox-gtk cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compiz-plugins-main compizconfig-backend-gconf computer-janitor computer-janitor-gtk desktop-file-utils diffstat dmz-cursor-theme doc-base dpkg-dev empathy empathy-common eog espeak espeak-data evince evince-common evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content fakeroot file-roller firefox firefox-globalmenu firefox-gnome-support g++ g++-4.5 gamin gbrainy gcalctool gcc gcc-4.5 gconf-defaults-service gconf-editor gdm gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common geoclue geoclue-ubuntu-geoip gettext ginn gir1.2-appindicator-0.1 gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-2.0 gir1.2-notify-0.7 gir1.2-panelapplet-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-vte-0.0 gksu gnome-about gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth gnome-codec-install gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games-common gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-mag gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-nettool gnome-orca gnome-panel gnome-panel-bonobo gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-screenshot gnome-search-tool gnome-session gnome-session-bin gnome-session-canberra gnome-session-common gnome-settings-daemon gnome-sudoku gnome-system-log gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes-selected gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-user-guide gnome-user-share gnome-utils-common gnomine gsettings-desktop-schemas gstreamer0.10-gnonlin gstreamer0.10-nice gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-tools gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf gucharmap guile-1.8-libs gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse gwibber gwibber-service gwibber-service-facebook gwibber-service-identica gwibber-service-twitter humanity-icon-theme hwdata ibus ibus-gtk ibus-pinyin ibus-pinyin-db-android ibus-pinyin-db-open-phrase ibus-table indicator-applet indicator-applet-appmenu indicator-applet-complete indicator-applet-session indicator-application indicator-appmenu indicator-datetime indicator-me indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound intltool-debian jockey-gtk language-selector-gnome launchpad-integration libalgorithm-diff-perl libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libappindicator0.1-cil libappindicator1 libapt-pkg-perl libart-2.0-2 libart2.0-cil libatkmm-1.6-1 libatspi1.0-0 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-gobject0 libavahi-ui0 libbamf0 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libboost-serialization1.42.0 libbrasero-media1 libburn4 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcairo-gobject2 libcairo-perl libcairomm-1.0-1 libcamel1.2-19 libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra-pulse libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio10 libclass-accessor-perl libcompizconfig0 libcroco3 libcryptui0 libdconf0 libdecoration0 libdee-1.0-1 libdigest-hmac-perl libdotconf1.0 libdpkg-perl libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-10 libecal1.2-8 libedata-book1.2-8 libedata-cal1.2-10 libedataserver1.2-14 libedataserverui1.2-11 libegroupwise1.2-13 libemail-valid-perl libept1 libespeak1 libevdocument3 libevent-1.4-2 libevolution libevview3 libexempi3 libfolks-telepathy22 libfolks22 libfreezethaw-perl libgail-common libgail-gnome-module libgail18 libgamin0 libgconf2.0-cil libgcr0 libgd2-xpm libgdata-common libgdata1.7-cil libgdata11 libgdu-gtk0 libgdu0 libgee2 libgeoclue0 libgexiv2-0 libgkeyfile1.0-cil libgksu2-0 libglade2-0 libglade2.0-cil libgladeui-1-11 libglew1.5 libglewmx1.5 libglib-perl libglib2.0-bin libglib2.0-cil libglib2.0-data libglibmm-2.4-1c2a libgmime-2.4-2 libgmime2.4-cil libgnome-bluetooth8 libgnome-desktop-2-17 libgnome-mag2 libgnome-media0 libgnome-menu2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnome2.24-cil libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd4 libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgoocanvas-common libgoocanvas3 libgp11-0 libgsl0ldbl libgssdp-1.0-2 libgstfarsight0.10-0 libgtk-sharp-beans-cil libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 libgtk2-perl libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libgtkspell0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libgucharmap7 libgudev1.0-cil libgupnp-1.0-3 libgupnp-igd-1.0-3 libgvfscommon0 libgweather-common libgweather1 libgwibber1 libibus2 libido-0.1-0 libindicate-gtk2 libindicator3 libio-pty-perl libio-string-perl libipc-run-perl libisofs6 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libkpathsea5 liblaunchpad-integration-common liblaunchpad-integration1 liblaunchpad-integration1.0-cil liblircclient0 liblouis-data liblouis2 liblua5.1-0 libmetacity-private0 libmission-control-plugins0 libmldbm-perl libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-management2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono-zeroconf1.0-cil libnautilus-extension1 libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libnet-dbus-perl libnet-dns-perl libnet-domain-tld-perl libnet-ip-perl libnice10 libnotify0.4-cil libnotify1 libnotify4 libnux-0.9-0 libnux-0.9-common liboobs-1-5 libopencc1 liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0 libpam-gnome-keyring libpanel-applet-3-0 libpanel-applet2-0 libpango-perl libpangomm-1.4-1 libparse-debianchangelog-perl libpolkit-gtk-1-0 libpoppler-glib6 libportaudio2 libprotobuf6 libprotoc6 libpst4 libpurple-bin libpurple0 libquvi0 librarian0 libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-style-human librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libsilc-1.1-2 libsilcclient-1.1-3 libspeechd2 libstartup-notification0 libstdc++6-4.5-dev libsub-name-perl libsyncdaemon-1.0-1 libt1-5 libtaglib2.0-cil libtelepathy-farsight0 libtelepathy-glib0 libtelepathy-logger2 libtie-ixhash-perl libtotem-plparser17 libubuntuone-1.0-1 libubuntuone1.0-cil libunique-1.0-0 libunistring0 libunity-misc0 libunity4 libutouch-geis1 libuuid-perl libvte-common libvte9 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-common libwmf0.2-7 libwmf0.2-7-gtk libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-event1 libxklavier16 libxml-twig-perl libxml-xpath-perl libxres1 libzeitgeist-1.0-1 libzephyr4 light-themes lintian linux-headers-2.6.38-8 linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic linux-headers-generic linux-libc-dev lzma make manpages-dev media-player-info metacity metacity-common mono-2.0-gac mono-csharp-shell mono-gac mono-gmcs mono-runtime mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp-gnome notification-daemon notify-osd notify-osd-icons nux-tools onboard overlay-scrollbar patch pinyin-database pitivi pkg-config plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo policykit-1-gnome protobuf-compiler pulseaudio-module-gconf python-appindicator python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon-gtk python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python-aptdaemon.gtkwidgets python-argparse python-brlapi python-configglue python-defer python-egenix-mxdatetime python-egenix-mxtools python-farsight python-gconf python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2 python-gnomecanvas python-gnomekeyring python-gst0.10 python-gtk2 python-gtksourceview2 python-gtkspell python-ibus python-indicate python-launchpad-integration python-libproxy python-libxml2 python-louis python-mako python-markupsafe python-notify python-openssl python-pam python-papyon python-piston-mini-client python-protobuf python-pyatspi python-pygoocanvas python-pyinotify python-pyorbit python-rdflib python-serial python-speechd python-telepathy python-twisted-bin python-twisted-core python-twisted-names python-twisted-web python-ubuntuone-client python-ubuntuone-control-panel python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol python-virtkey python-vte python-webkit python-wnck rarian-compat screensaver-default-images seahorse sessioninstaller shotwell simple-scan software-center software-properties-gtk speech-dispatcher ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-config-printer-gnome system-tools-backends telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble telepathy-haze telepathy-idle telepathy-logger telepathy-mission-control-5 telepathy-salut tomboy totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins transmission-common transmission-gtk tsclient ubufox ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-mono ubuntu-sounds ubuntu-sso-client ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntuone-client ubuntuone-client-gnome ubuntuone-control-panel ubuntuone-control-panel-gtk unity unity-asset-pool unity-common unity-place-applications unity-place-files update-manager update-notifier update-notifier-common usb-creator-gtk vinagre vino whois xdg-user-dirs-gtk xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xsltproc xul-ext-ubufox yelp yelp-xsl zeitgeist zeitgeist-core zeitgeist-datahub zeitgeist-extension-fts zenity && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop