PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install UT:GOTY

HungSquirrel
March 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM
...and the installer version 436 crashes and burns. Anyone know what this error means and how to get around it?

# ./ut-install-436.run
Verifying archive integrity...OK
Uncompressing Unreal Tournament version 436 Linux installtrap: usage: trap [-lp] [arg signal_spec ...]

mike998
March 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I have installed that myself - didn't get any errors and it works for me.
I got my version of the help from here
http://www.princessleia.com/UT.html
That's about all I can do to help

Ironi
March 6th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Run it with the --keep option, which won't remove the /tmp/selfgz* dir after it's done (and also won't trigger that broken trap condition). You could also edit the file manually if you felt like it; it's just a "shell archive" with a shell script preceding a .tar.gz archive.

jdodson
March 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM
ok i just successfully installed this on my ubuntu machine. so basically follow the princess leia tut for debian here:

http://www.princessleia.com/tools/ut/2.README.Debian

when it says apt-get install umodpack, skip that because that is not in ubuntu universe.

but you still need to convert the maps after you install the game. by default they are in some weird windows format. snag this script to convert all the maps for you:

#!/bin/sh
# Change this to YOUR install-dir of UT
#
INSTALLDIR=/usr/games/ut

cd $INSTALLDIR/System

for i in `ls ../Maps/*.unr.uz`
do
ucc decompress ../Maps/$i -nohomedir
done

rm ../Maps/*unr.uz
mv *.unr ../Maps

echo "..:: Done! ::.."

run that as root or sudo and it will convert all your map files. now finally i was getting an error because the game did not know where the game files were. so what i did was create the following script to run the game:

#! /bin/sh

export UT_DATA_PATH=/usr/games/ut/System
ut

so basically it sets the path and then runs unreal goty.

i will post more when i figure out howto install GOTY cd2 and maybe how to get the umodpack on ubuntu.

HungSquirrel
March 7th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Run it with the --keep option, which won't remove the /tmp/selfgz* dir after it's done (and also won't trigger that broken trap condition). You could also edit the file manually if you felt like it; it's just a "shell archive" with a shell script preceding a .tar.gz archive.
That did the trick to get the installer to run, but when I run the game, I get the following:

Unreal engine initialized
Bound to SDLDrv.so
Joystick [0] : Unknown Joystick
SDLClient initialized.
Bound to Render.so
Lighting subsystem initialized
Rendering initialized
LoadMap: Entry
Failed to load 'Entry': Can't find file 'Entry'
Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file 'Entry'
appError called:
Failed to enter Entry: Can't find file 'Entry'
Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap]
Aborting.
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down

And this is with my maps already in the correct *.unr format.

run that as root or sudo and it will convert all your map files. now finally i was getting an error because the game did not know where the game files were. so what i did was create the following script to run the game
I got the error you speak of. There's a 'better' way to fix it, in that it will work for all users. Under sudo, open the ut script (mine's /usr/bin/ut, yours may vary). Comment out the following lines:

# Set the home if not already set.
#if [ "${UT_DATA_PATH}" = "" ]; then
# UT_DATA_PATH="`FindPath $0`/System"
#fi
And add:

UT_DATA_PATH="/path/to/ut/System"

jdodson
March 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
start a google search with the error results, i found this:

http://www.netsys.com/suse-linux-e/2001/05/msg02217.html

linuxNewb
May 30th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I have installed that myself - didn't get any errors and it works for me.
I got my version of the help from here
http://www.princessleia.com/UT.html
That's about all I can do to help

During the install I keep getting a window telling me to mount CD 1, but it is mounted. What's wrong?

mike998
May 31st, 2005, 12:28 AM
Check that error message - It may be that the installer wants you to unmount CD1 and mount CD2.

Chaos5lw
June 23rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
#!/bin/sh
# Change this to YOUR install-dir of UT
#
INSTALLDIR=/usr/games/ut

cd $INSTALLDIR/System

for i in `ls ../Maps/*.unr.uz`
do
ucc decompress ../Maps/$i -nohomedir
done

rm ../Maps/*unr.uz
mv *.unr ../Maps

echo "..:: Done! ::.."

mmm, that script nicely deleted all my .unr.uz maps and left me with two .unr maps... i take it that that isnt supposed to happen.

BLTicklemonster
January 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Decompression: http://nic-nac-project.de/~lowey/cgi-bin/igc.cgi?igc=31

Thanks to {BL}Hawkwind for finding this nice little tool.

keggy
October 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hi I read this post only now and I can't find the installer at http://www.princessleia.com/UT.html how can I do? Can ypu give another URL to find it? :-k

Bye

Francesco

BLTicklemonster
October 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=74623

mind you that's for utgoty, if you just have ut, then get

unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.run

and to install it

sh unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.run

then get over to 67.19.84.40 and say hi.

don't forget to

Here's how to make a cache cleaner for UT. It takes the files that you download from servers from a temporary folder ( /.loki/ut/Cache) and puts them in the proper places where they belong according to extension, i.e. .utx, .uax, etc.

Go to synaptic package manager, download gawk (just a thingy that is used by cache cleaner. I would tell you exactly what gawk is and what it does, but it's so freaking technical it would make your head explode gelatinous material about the place, rendering your keyboard useless for replying "OMGOMGOMG1337" to this thread when you're done).

Open text editor, and copy and paste the following in to it:

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/.loki/ut/Cache || exit 1 # change this to your UT user dir
if [ -f cache.ini ] ; then
{
export utdir="/home/bill/ut/" # change this to your main UT folder
gawk -F= '
utdir = "${utdir}"
function moveit(targ)
{
print "mv -v "$1".uxx" " " utdir targ substr($2, 1, length($2)-1) | "sh";
}
{
if(match($2,".unr")) moveit("Maps/");
else if(match($2,".utx")) moveit("Textures/");
else if(match($2,".uax")) moveit("Sounds/");
else if(match($2,".umx")) moveit("Music/");
else if(match($2,".u")) moveit("System/");
}
END { close("sh") }' cache.ini
rm *.uxx cache.ini
}
fi;
if [ -f $utdir"System/De.u" ]; then rm $utdir"System/De.u" ;fi
if [ -f $utdir"System/de.u" ]; then rm $utdir"System/de.u" ;fi
# end script

Notice this: /home/bill/ut/ . Change according to your personal set up.

Save in /home/you/ as utcleaner. Notice all the pretty colors that the text changed to? This means something important, but I am a total noob, so it's above my pay grade, therefore there's no telling what it means.

Open terminal, and type this:

chmod +x utcleaner

The file utcleaner is now executable.

To run it, from terminal, type

./utcleaner

Now to make things cooler, how about a desktop launcher?

Right click on the desktop, click create launcher, name it UTCleaner, go down to where it says command: and put ./utcleaner and check where it says run in terminal (I tried it without running in terminal, and for some reason all it does is delete uxx files, so click on run in terminal for sure). If you want an icon, go ahead and use one. You can create custom icons, too, if you want to. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=92393). Click OK.

Now you can double click and clean all your .uxx files.

Nifty, huh?

THANKS TO ~V~ AT UNREALADMINS.ORG (Who's motto is "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" ) FOR THIS.

so you clean your cache folder!!!

Happy Fragging!

curly_nostrill
October 5th, 2006, 04:01 AM
lol, @ ticklemonster...

and thanks

curly aka Poop_Finger

BLTicklemonster
October 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Okay, kids, have you noticed that ut doesn't quite look the same in linux as it does in Windows? If so, here's a link that may interest you.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=161177

Go to your /home/yourname/ut/system folder and rename the file

OpenGLDrv.so to oldOpenGLDrv.so and then download the file from the link above, and put it in your ut/system folder.

(SAVE A COPY OF YOUR UNREALTOURNAMENT.INI FILE SOMEWHERE SAFE!)
(you can get to it by going to your home directory, then press ctrl+h to unhide folders, then it's in the .loki folder, in the ut system folder)

In your unrealtournament.ini file, in the

[Engine.Engine]

section, you'll want to replace each

*.*RenderDevice ( I think it's SDL something by default )

with

OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

(I think there's three intances in there, and they are the first lines under engine.engine)

I copied and pasted G-Lite's settings, but his gamma was way out of whack on my system, so I changed the value

GammaOffset=0.500000

to

GammaOffset=0.100000

and it was fine.

Way more like what I was used to in windows, and pressing ~ and typing

timedemo 1

showed me getting anywhere from 60 to 80+ fps, which is reasonable.

Hope this is helpful to all you hard core UT fanatics.

curly_nostrill
October 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks BLT! You're Da Bomb!

I just hope I can remember where to find this when/if ever I catch up to the bleeding edge tech of three years ago...:mrgreen:

btw... this guys iso_mounter script ( http://rob.pectol.com/myscripts/ ) (http://rob.pectol.com/myscripts/) is also Da Bomb 2. I just hope it works for installing UT from the mounted .nrg's I have. I've just been using the same install folder across all my reinstalls of windows but it seems I have to start afresh now for Ubuntu/Linux...?

AJB2K3
March 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
This will sound stupid but
what do i save the script as?

BLTicklemonster
March 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
save it as .sh

like when you download it, I think you can be safe in just renaming it and drop the .txt at the end. Then run it as you normally would run an .sh file.

AJB2K3
March 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Im now getting the usuall whatnot iot error due to the un compressed files but i cant get eather of the scripts here to work.
The latest one (closest to this post ) crashes with this line

cd ~/.loki/ut/Cache || exit 1 # change this to your UT user dir
I dont have a cahe file anyware what do i do now?
Nevermind i just riped of my win install and used the data files from that.

BLTicklemonster
March 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Congrats! Now come visit us at the Black Legion

and have some fun~!

AJB2K3
March 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM

and have some fun~!
HUH?
BTW how do i get the path to usr/local/games/ut/system in to the path tree?
Anyone unreal to work through ut yet?
Anyone got chaos ut to work?

AJB2K3
March 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM

and have some fun~!
Whats with all the bots?

BLTicklemonster
March 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Something to keep people busy til someone shows up. Shouldn't be more than a few, though. Don't tell me there's 24 again!!!

AJB2K3
March 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Something to keep people busy til someone shows up. Shouldn't be more than a few, though. Don't tell me there's 24 again!!!
no 10/20, 50 % of the plaer lsit.

BLTicklemonster
March 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I'll drop that down tonight, not sure how it got that way.

AJB2K3
March 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
When conneting with XP i get intro version mismatch but it worked fine on ubuntu.

rennen01
March 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM
UT: GOTY edition that came out around 2000? People still play that? I really don't like the new UTs these days.

AJB2K3
March 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM
UT: GOTY edition that came out around 2000? People still play that? I really don't like the new UTs these days.
yes and playing in on ubuntu wiyhout wine.
from what i se there are quite a few that dont like the new UT's

rennen01
March 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Did any of you guys ever play that Tactical Mod? It is called Tactical Ops. Counterstrike gameplay that played on the UT Engine.

BLTicklemonster
March 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Heck yes, people still play UT!!! People come and go when new games come around, but the newness of the new games wears off, and people keep coming back saying they don't know why they ever left. I don't like the new versions. None of them have the same level of raw intensity and "magical" game play that set UT apart from everything else. AND I don't like games that push you to have cutting edge equipment to play them. Companies these days seem to sell out to hardware manufacturers, and forget that a truly good game is what they should be making, not a truly beautiful bling bling infested monutment to rendering and shading. 2K4 has such high detail texturing that my limited vision loses players. I JUST CANT MAKE OUT THE WIDDLE BIDDY ENEMIES AGAINST ALL THE GARBAGE IN THE MAPS.

So I stick with UT. Best game epic ever made, bar none.

Plus, we have talented scriptors working on some cool stuff at the BL. If you ever get a chance, come check out the Bat Wings, or if you are insane and want to try something totally absurd, check out the Zark Cow Weeee. It's the redeemer on lysurgic acid diethylamide or however you spell lsd. A rapid fire redeemer that has zoom, that fires nuclear nali war cows with flames coming out their bums. mooomooomooomooo. Senseless fun and hilarity. HINT: spawn with alt fire, not fire, or you fricase yourself.

We try to get in there around 9 to 10 est us, so maybe we'll see some of you Ubuntu folks?

(and if you run into any problems, let me know. I still need to drop the bot count, btw)

rennen01
March 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Definitely gonna give this a shot.

BLTickemaster, the links in your sig are very helpful.

Thank you.

BLTicklemonster
March 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Definitely gonna give this a shot.

BLTickemaster, the links in your sig are very helpful.

Thank you.

lmao, thanks. I was sitting staring at feisty wondering how to automount the partitions the other night... heh heh, now I remember... :blush:

AJB2K3
March 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
whats 9-10 us in uk time?
Any experts know how to put Chaos ut in or how to get a model from blender into ut ?
Got a Seburo CX model dying to be used.

BLTicklemonster
March 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Wow. I've never been able to do anything but distort a cube or sphere into some indistinguishable shape in any 3d editor (though I can make all kinds of stuff in unrealed... why can't they make 3d editors that are as simple as unrealed?), so I never tried the next logical step. Beyondunreal forums could be a place to seek help, and chimeric might have something. (google those words)

AJB2K3
March 10th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Wow. I've never been able to do anything but distort a cube or sphere into some indistinguishable shape in any 3d editor (though I can make all kinds of stuff in unrealed... why can't they make 3d editors that are as simple as unrealed?), so I never tried the next logical step. Beyondunreal forums could be a place to seek help, and chimeric might have something. (google those words)
I know the two very well but haven't visited in 3 years, supprised they were still around.

GACK getting the sigserv sigmentation falt with ucc.

AJB2K3
March 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
How do i launch it from the start menu?

BLTicklemonster
March 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
It depends on which installer you used, for one thing. Some put it in /home/you/ut, others put it elsewhere, but if you can find where it is, I'll try to remember where it is that you add stuff to start up. Otherwise you can right click on the desktop and create a launcher in the meantime.

I used ATI for a while, and it was just bothersome compared to nvidia is all.

AJB2K3
March 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Mine is installed to usr/local/games/ut with a link to usr/local/games/ut/System/ut-bin
now

usr/local/games/ut/System/ut-bindoes nothing

./usr/local/games/ut/System/ut-bin bring up unable to launch child process.
the only way i can run it is from the console cd ing to
usr/local/games/ut/System/
then running ut-bin. nothing else works.