PDA

View Full Version : IT profession most lenient with non-degree applicants

user1397
August 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM
In light of my other thread about how much it matters to have a college degree when it comes to the IT industry (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1826038), I wanted to ask which sub-field or professions within the IT industry are the one where you are most prone to finding employers who do not mind so much if you don't have a college degree.

I know several were already suggested in the previous thread, but this is more of a concise collection.

Thanks.

ve4cib
August 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Speaking from nothing more than speculation and hearsay, I'd guess that anything in the web-design and related areas are probably the least stringent about qualifications. Learning how to write CSS and HTML hardly requires a degree, and such careers likely tend to be more interested in your portfolio of prior work than what courses you've taken.

mips
August 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Desktop support.

LowSky
August 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Computer or printer repair comes to mind first.

I know a guy that does network support for over 30 years with only a high school diploma. The guy is smart as hell though. He knows things many electrical engineers struggle with.

Realistically any job can be done without a college diploma, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs come to mind. Unfortunately the business world has decided it rather have people learn on their own dime and not the company's unless its for higher graduate degrees that could propel a person into higher management. Most of those companies put a contractually obligation for the person to stay X amount of time after the business pays for the classes.

If you cannot afford a four year college, look into state run community colleges if they are available to you. Where I live (New York State) our state run college system makes school very cheap compared to private institutions.

Frogs Hair
August 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I think it depends on who you're interviewing with . Some employers want a person to have a degree even if it's unrelated to the job being applied for .

I know three human resources people and in many cases job candidates without a degree applying for a job that may require one are filtered right away.

If none of the applicants in the "qualified" group are up to snuff then the other applications are screened again .

Dangertux
August 28th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I would agree with help desk.

But honestly it REALLY depends on the company. I mean, if you're not pursuing a degree for whatever reason. Why not try to get a job in several different fields and let us know your findings. What companies specialize in that give you an interview.

Just a thought, but I really think it does come down to what the employer is willing to hire. Like I said in the other thread, a degree is not just a way to get an interview, it could increase the salary you are offered. You could get the job with or without the degree, but the level at which you start at, and how much you are being paid could be effected but the possession of a degree.

user1397
August 29th, 2011, 04:24 AM
What about for example, a linux sysadmin?

Bandit
August 29th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Desktop support.

This, tech support because you are mostly trained or run off a web based (step by step) run through for technical issues and just transfer to a supervisor when a real issue arises from the norm. Also most only pay minimum wage, though I have seen a few for larger companies pay reasonably. Regardless its a good stepping stone and great way to learn communication skills.

Bandit
August 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM
What about for example, a linux sysadmin?

Unless you got years of experience with a company or running a business that is in direct relation. You will not get hired for ANY admin job. Just putting on a resume you can do ______ on linux, or been using linux for ____ years will get you nothing without proof you can. Even the CompTIA Linux+ only qualifies you as a entry level systems administrator. And you still need experience to go along with that, though it will help.

1clue
August 29th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Are you just desperate for a job, or for some reason opposed to a formal education, or something else?

The thing is, the formal education instills a certain discipline that you just don't get when you figure things out by yourself. I've worked with several non-degree people, and that characteristic isn't universal but it's definitely there for the majority.

That said, there are some things you can do to make yourself more desirable, functional and successful in whatever branch you take.

First thing is, I would say you should get a certification of some sort. Computer certification is similar to the certification for automotive mechanics. They really don't care where you got it, they only care if you can pass the test.

Second thing is, pick a company profile that is more inclined to accept a loose cannon. Enterprise companies are out of the picture. Pick a startup which works on something you have a gift for, or find a 50-200 seat business and be the IT guy, and learn everything you can to make their life better. That size company you'll spend most of your time replacing mice and junk like that, but it still gives you a chance to bone up and install a server every now and than even if it's not on the schedule.

Another thing is, find some company that is horribly deficient in IT staff and doesn't even know what it is they need. If the company is a sinking ship and they hire you, and don't give you any direction at all, then it may just be they need you to perform a miracle. If you can pull that miracle out of your hat they will love you for it.

The key to all this is to figure out what you're good at, become great at it and then learn to market yourself as such.