PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can the console display international characters?

RuneChart
August 28th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Hello everyone, first post. I'm planning on getting a netbook soon, and for a couple of reasons I'm planning on running a minimal ubuntu install without x. I plan to use this mainly for keeping notes, reading, programming, and audio. I've used ubuntu in my VPS before, and I've used puppy linux on my laptop before.

I'm wondering to what extent the CLI can be customized. I'd like for it to be able to display Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, and other characters. I'd also like to increase the font size. I don't really need to input anything but the ascii set, but I'd like to be able to cat files in other languages and write programs that output other character sets.

I see there are programs like zhcon. Will that allow me to do everything the default console can, including running framebuffer programs? Are there any like zhcon that include the entire unicode set? Is it possible to increase the text size?

Thanks in advance.

RuneChart
September 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
In case anyone's curious, I found a way to do this using fbterm. As far as I can tell, there's no way to run other framebuffer programs from fbterm, but I guess I can always close it whenever I need to run one of those.

EDIT: I take that back, mplayer works fine, although fbterm remains in the background. I still get an error from fbi, however,