PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating to Ubuntu 11.4 from Xubuntu 10.4

jmarkybb
August 27th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Hiya,

Im trying to update my Xubuntu 10.4 to Ubuntu 11.4.

I have the image of 11.4 on my USB stick but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I want to replace 10.4 with 11.4, but 10.4 is partitioned with Vista

http://home/ubuntu/Desktop/Screenshot-Install.png

MAFoElffen
August 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hiya,

Im trying to update my Xubuntu 10.4 to Ubuntu 11.4.

I have the image of 11.4 on my USB stick but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I want to replace 10.4 with 11.4, but 10.4 is partitioned with Vista
What if you just did it the "easy" way? Meaning:

Start Xubuntu. Go to a terminal session.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-update
After the "upgrade" reboot. At the login screen, select the user... > when the password dialog pops up... look at the botton screen bar > it will have a pull down box that you can select which Flavor you want to use... Select one of the Ubuntu Flavors. > Continue logging in.

This method would be faster, easier, keep all your hardware settings and files, all your personal settings, data in your home directory...

If you decide you didn't want Xubuntu there anymore, you could then remove the xubuntu-desktop with apt-get...

Remember that Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu share the same base system files.

jmarkybb
August 27th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hiya MAFoElffen

What if you just did it the "easy" way? Meaning:

I tried updating from within Xubuntu, but it said this distro (Xubuntu 10.4) was no longer supported.

snowpine
August 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Here are some easy-to-follow instructions for upgrading 10.04 to 11.04:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

And easy instructions for switching Xubuntu to Ubuntu:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

ottosykora
August 28th, 2011, 07:28 AM
>I tried updating from within Xubuntu, but it said this distro (Xubuntu 10.4) was no longer supported.
jmarkybb is offline Report Post Reply With Quote<

strange, the 10.04 is supposed to be the LTS and is still supported.

But you may try first to make all updates to the 10.04 as the LTS versions get numbers like 10.04.1 etc during their life.

jmarkybb
August 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I apolagise, It was 9.4, confused with the start up screen of Xubuntu. Sorry for the confusion.

I now have 11.4 running along side Vista, Ive signed up for "Ubuntu One" I love the idea of this "The Cloud", thankyou.

I'm trying to find "Ubuntu One" for Windows Vista, so I can drop all my files into it and send the over to "My New OS" :P

At the moment I'm dropping them into DropBox, three, questions Where can I find Ubuntu One for Windows, Does Ubuntu support DropBox & when uploading pics from my Andriod Desire HD, it doesn't give them their names, just a long number, can I am amend this?

dino99
August 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
on my side i'll never, never drop my docs/settings outside (cloud, vps, ...) because i care about security, and dont want everyone robbing/glancing at. Just my two cents, not secured at all (remind accounts lost by banks/social networking).

jmarkybb
August 28th, 2011, 11:19 AM
on my side i'll never, never drop my docs/settings outside (cloud, vps, ...) because i care about security, and dont want everyone robbing/glancing at. Just my two cents, not secured at all (remind accounts lost by banks/social networking).

Hiya Dino99,

I appreciate that, :)

Its just whilst I get my files converted over to Ubuntu, they wont be staying there.