PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Try option takes forever

firefly431
August 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM
When I hit the try button, it just grays out the install button. The UI doesn't freeze, but I waited a long time with no reply. (I'm using old parts)

Mark Phelps
August 27th, 2011, 08:06 PM
My own experience has been that 11.04 takes a terribly LONG time to boot ...

The Try Ubuntu option is loading a lot of stuff into system memory (since it can't write to the hard drive), and that taxex both CPU resources and system memory.

So, it is likely to take a very LONG time to boot.

When I first tried it, I nearly gave up myself, but eventually (after several MINUTES) it did finally get to a desktop.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM
When I hit the try button, it just grays out the install button. The UI doesn't freeze, but I waited a long time with no reply. (I'm using old parts)

What are the specs for the computer? You may be borderline on having enough RAM.

firefly431
August 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM
What are the specs for the computer? You may be borderline on having enough RAM.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 1.99 GB RAM (IDK what Physical Address Extension means)

firefly431
September 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Bump

gordintoronto
September 5th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Video card?

Hakunka-Matata
September 5th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 1.99 GB RAM (IDK what Physical Address Extension means)

PAE extension adds the capability to address more than 2GiB RAM. It is invoked automatically during install if RAM=>2GiB

What says
sudo lshw -C display

YannBuntu
September 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Hello,
I have the same problem on an old computer. To workaround this, I press a key at start-up when the 2 accessibility icons appear at the bottom of the screen, it displays the "old" boot menu (with Memory test and all..), then choose "Try Ubuntu without changing anything on the computer".

walt.smith1960
September 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Are you booting from a CD/DVD or USB? I found a significant speed difference between 8 GB. USB sticks. I have a Sandisk stick which certainly seems slower to boot than a CompUSA store brand. Both were created with the same version of Unetbootin.

Hakunka-Matata
September 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Are you booting from a CD/DVD or USB? I found a significant speed difference between 8 GB. USB sticks. I have a Sandisk stick which certainly seems slower to boot than a CompUSA store brand. Both were created with the same version of Unetbootin.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1697175&highlight=sandisk

Look @ that thread, post# 4 in particular.
Also, I've read where some netbooks have a plastic piece installed in the sd card slot if your machine has one. Not an actual sd card, but a piece of plastic to fill the hole. It can screw up the install program, remove it and try your operation.