PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] screensavers and notify-osd

Pragu
August 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Hello all, I recently installed the lubuntu desktop environment in favour of ubuntu in the hopes of saving battery power, and it has worked quite well, by and large. I have run into two problems, however:
1) Whenever I wake my computer from sleep, the screensaver starts up and I have to wiggle the mouse. It isn't a big problem, but it is annoying. I believe it has something to do with the interaction of gnome-screensaver and xscreensaver (with the xscreesaver coming on after sleep). How can I permanently disable one, and which one should I disable?

2) Whenever I lose internet or change the brightness, it brings up the notify-osd process (as it did in ubuntu). However, these messages persist until I run killall "notify-osd". I've been in the preferences for the package and nothing seems to work, is there a better notifier, or at least a way to kill the process without it cropping up whenever I change the brightness?

thanks!

jerrrys
August 28th, 2011, 06:28 PM
edit: i missed the lubuntu part

kerry_s
August 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hello all, I recently installed the lubuntu desktop environment in favour of ubuntu in the hopes of saving battery power, and it has worked quite well, by and large. I have run into two problems, however:
1) Whenever I wake my computer from sleep, the screensaver starts up and I have to wiggle the mouse. It isn't a big problem, but it is annoying. I believe it has something to do with the interaction of gnome-screensaver and xscreensaver (with the xscreesaver coming on after sleep). How can I permanently disable one, and which one should I disable?

2) Whenever I lose internet or change the brightness, it brings up the notify-osd process (as it did in ubuntu). However, these messages persist until I run killall "notify-osd". I've been in the preferences for the package and nothing seems to work, is there a better notifier, or at least a way to kill the process without it cropping up whenever I change the brightness?

thanks!

install straight lubuntu, lubuntu on top of ubuntu ain't no difference because stuff still runs in the background. straight lubuntu does not have a lot of extras in the background.

Pragu
August 30th, 2011, 01:26 AM
thanks, is there any way to install just lubuntu and keep all my current files?

raja.genupula
August 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

this is a meta pkg . so you loss nothing . your files will be there . you can choose what session you what at login screen , ubuntu or lubuntu

Pragu
August 31st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you all for the replies! That's exactly what I did, raja.genupula, but does that run all the ubuntu scripts underneath, like kerry_s says?

kerry_s
August 31st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you all for the replies! That's exactly what I did, raja.genupula, but does that run all the ubuntu scripts underneath, like kerry_s says?

Installing lubuntu-desktop on top of gnome just adds to gnome.
I run straight lubuntu & there is a difference, you'll see it in the boot time & just general use, it feels faster with less gnome.

Pragu
August 31st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Can I get Lubuntu without Gnome without doing a fresh install?

kerry_s
August 31st, 2011, 10:26 PM
Can I get Lubuntu without Gnome without doing a fresh install?

the closest you could get would be this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelxde

but like i said, i think a clean install is the best way.