PDA

View Full Version : Did we adopt CNR without knowing it?

towsonu2003
May 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM
After all that debate, here (http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6676477122.html) it says:

Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu users will also have available to them a new commercial application repository, which allows those who wish to use commercial software easy access to downloads and installation of those applications. More details on this function will be forthcoming, the company said.

Did I miss something? :-k

briancurtin
May 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM
while it sounds like the same thing, CNR isnt mentioned in that article anywhere. neither is linspire, makers of CNR.

it is entirely possible that the people at canonical came up with their own version of this

arnieboy
May 28th, 2006, 06:00 AM
After all that debate, here (http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6676477122.html) it says:

Did I miss something? :-k
AFAIK, its just multiverse (not CNR). It comes up on Add Remove applications.

prizrak
May 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM
It doesn't seem to mention subscription or anyhing (I didn't read the link just w/e the OP posted). So it could just be a repository of proprietary freeware as opposed to FOSS.

3rdalbum
May 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
It doesn't seem to mention subscription or anyhing (I didn't read the link just w/e the OP posted). So it could just be a repository of proprietary freeware as opposed to FOSS.

...new commercial application repository...commercial software...

It's not closed-source freeware, neither is it the existing Multiverse. It's commercial software that you would have to pay for.

ssam
May 28th, 2006, 02:42 PM
in dapper in the add/remove applications tool, the refer to the multiverse as commercial software (where they used to call it proprietry).

though this could be something new.

disturbed1
May 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM
CNR has been talked about for a while. It's some type of deal between Ubuntu and Linspire.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=ubuntu+cnr+linspire

ELD
May 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I would say it should be an addition to synpatic not any type of replacement.

It would be nice to have a easy way to buy/install/update commercial software. Not that i would really use it unless it was something awesome.

Terracotta
May 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I would say it should be an addition to synpatic not any type of replacement.

It would be nice to have a easy way to buy/install/update commercial software. Not that i would really use it unless it was something awesome.

Indeed it would be nice, if they made a system available to just install commercial software, but they'd have to find a way for people to pay for it/get a subscription/make a cd for it, because when you reinstall you still should be able to install it again. Some kind of database orsomething? or how does CNR do it? It would at least be nicer to install commercial software in Add/remove than to install it through CNR in a browser, gives me bad dreams about windows... ( I do know that CNR is a bit more advanced but installing programs through a browser come om :|, so ninetees :p.

ELD
May 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM
An easy way - you get sent a random code for your purchase which you can enter if you need to install again?

I thought CNR had an actual software application as well as browser interface?