PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows installation Dvd won't boot after installing Ubuntu 11.04

Viz'ricK
August 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM
So I happen to have installed the new ubuntu after having problems with windows...but then I realized that i needed to use Windows for some programs I had. So the thing is that when I try booting into my Windows 7 cd it goes straight to ubuntu even though the bios is set to load a cd. I have tried creating partition or try to do a clean installation but the thing doesnt load I'm trying to hopefully dual boot between both systems (ubuntu installed first) or somehow find a way to install windows.

-their are no problems with the dvd drive
-the computer is limited in power for a virtual pc
-all programs fail under Wine
-I burned many Windows installation disc that all work under other pc's
:confused:

Mark Phelps
August 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM
You're saying "CD" -- but Win7 doesn't come on a CD; instead, it comes only on a "DVD".

Since the title says "installation DVD", then your original statement must be a type.

It's acting like it's NOT seeing the DVD, and instead, booting to the hard drive.

One thing you could try is disconnecting the hard drive and booting just from the DVD. That will at least confirm that your optical drive is working.

Viz'ricK
August 28th, 2011, 03:07 AM
well you know what I mean its in the tittle cd/dvd somewhat the same if its a compress or skim down version of the OS but my problem is that I can't re-install windows even if I happen to format my drive...after having installed ubunbu

but yes thank you I'll try by disconnecting the hard drive

SiathLinux
August 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I ran into this before - the DVD-/+RW was a 'BlueRay' type - the 'quick' work a round was to create a 'DVD on USB' and boot from the USB to re-install Windows 7 on the system.

I don't remember the name of the program I used to create the 4.7GB space on the 8GB USB at the moment - and it's on a computer that I can't access at the moment. (a Google search should find it though as that's how I found it)...

Mark Phelps
August 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My primary optical drive is a Blue-ray -- and it reads and boots from CDs and DVDs without any problem. So, if the optical drive IS Blue-ray that would not prevent it from booting from a DVD.

The reason I suggeste disconnecting the hard drive is to force the PC to boot from the optical drive. IF that still does not work, then try another CD or DVD that is KNOWN to work. If that works, then the DVD is damaged or defective.