PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trying to install Ubuntu 11.04, but cant get it to load....

Gabe1291
August 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hi, I'm having an issue trying to install Ubuntu on my desktop. I boot to the drive that has the live-CD image on it, it goes to the screen with the keyboard and the little vitruvian man-esque logo, then it goes to a flashing cursor and does nothing.

So far I've tried the cd I've used a couple of times to successfully install it on my laptop, a fresh cd, a usb thumb drive, and cd with the 64-bit version on it. They all boot fine on the laptop but all show the same issue when I try them on the desktop.

I've also, stripped it down to nothing more than the DVD drive and the HDD I wish to install it on. I've also tried using the 2nd DVD drive in the system as well.

The system specs are:
AMD X2 4800
Asus A8NE-FM Socket 939 Mobo
PNY Geforce 210 PCI-e Graphics Card
LG DVD Burner
4 GB System RAM

Anybody got any ideas on what could be holding it up? Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Quackers
August 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Welcome to UF :-)
You may need to use a boot option - like nomodeset.
See below guide for howto
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Gabe1291
August 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Ohhh.... thank you for that :P

I'll try the nomodeset, and let you know the result, as soon as it gets done testing the memory and drive. I figure I may as well check them as well to rule them out.

Quackers
August 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
No problem :-)
Good luck!

Gabe1291
August 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Thank You Very Much, that was exactly what needed to be done.

It's installing now, kinda wish I'd asked here before spending 2 hours wading through google search results, but it's working now, so that's all that really matters, lol

Thank You again for your help =D>

Quackers
August 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Glad you got things going :-)
You're welcome.