PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Little question about windows and ubuntu

Dreamsfear
August 27th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Alright, I recently aquired a pc with strictly ubuntu on it. While I am enjoying ubuntu I do miss some things about windows. Mainly my games. I figured I would just buy a 2nd hard drive and install a windows 7 copy on it, so what I tried was just unplugging my ubuntu harddrive completely so windows wouldnt give me any fuss about it and having just a blank hard drive ready for install for windows. This didnt give me the result I wanted as Im not a pc guru or anything so I suppose its just not that simple. I reboot and press any key to boot from the cd and it goes through loading windows and then I come to the pretty blue screen that windows 7 installs with and nothing. I have a mouse cursor no buttons nothing functions from the keyboard etc. Any ideas?

Idefix82
August 27th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Are you sure that's a problem that belongs here, rather than on a Windows forum? I don't see what this has to do with Ubuntu, other than the fact that you have it installed somewhere on a drive that isn't even connected.

Dreamsfear
August 27th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I suppose I could go to the windows forums, which I probably will but knowing the linux community generally has a better understanding of computers than I do figured I'd toss it out there anyway. Wasn't sure if ubuntu was why I couldn't install or not to be honest, every other install was easy...pop in a windows cd and go.

Mark Phelps
August 27th, 2011, 04:55 PM
You should really take the Win7 installation problem to a Win7 forum. Suggest sevenforums.com. They have tutorials and subforums for installation problems like yours.

grahammechanical
August 27th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Is it a Windows 7 install CD or something else?

Regards.

Mark Phelps
August 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Is it a Windows 7 install CD or something else?

Regards.

Win7 doesn't come on a "CD"; it only comes on a DVD.

If the OP really has a "CD", it's likely some kind of Restore CD -- and all that will do is allow them to run a recovery program that will erase their drive and reinstall Win7 from an image somewhere on the drive.