PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.04 - no HDMI audio with GeForce 9800 GT

supportagent11
August 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I installed 11.04 on my dying laptop as an experiment a few weeks ago, and now I'm converting my Win7 Warcraft tower into an Ubuntu media center to be plugged into my TV.
However, I've run into a problem with my HDMI audio; the onboard audio worked through the audio jack prior to moving the computer from my desk to my TV, but now I am uable to hear anything through the TV speakers after plugging in the HDMI cable.

my current system hardware:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L (onboard audio is now disabled in bios)
video: eVGA GeForce 9800 GT (according to Nvidia X Server Settings)

I had searched a few other threads about enabling HDMI audio and ran these commands in the terminal, with unexpected results:

$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:240: no soundcards found...

$ alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

I do have the alsa package installed, so my question is... does anyone have any suggestions to help me enable HDMI audio?

BicyclerBoy
August 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Your video card does not do real HDMI audio as such (additional soundcard/codecs).
Your HDMI audio is via S/PDIF pass-thru' from the mobo soundcard.
So you need to re-enable the mobo soundcard in BIOS.

supportagent11
August 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I could have sworn I saw a post somewhere that suggested disabling the on-board sound card, just in case it was interfering with the HDMI sound... in any case, now that the on-board sound is enabled:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887 Analog [ALC887 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887 Digital [ALC887 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ aplay -L
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
pulse
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC887 Analog
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
Hardware device with all software conversions

┌────────────────────────────_AlsaMixer_v1.0.24.2_ ─────────────────────────────┐
│_Card:_HDA_Intel_________________________________ _____F1:__Help_______________│
│_Chip:_Realtek_ALC887____________________________ _____F2:__System_information_│
│_View:_F3:[Playback]_F4:_Capture__F5:_All_____________F6:__Select_soun d_card__│
│_Item:_Master_[dB_gain:_-19.50]_______________________Esc:_Exit_______________│
│_________________________________________________ _____________________________│
│_____┌──┐______________┌──┐_____┌──┐_____┌──┐____ _┌──┐_____┌──┐_____┌──┐______│
│_____│__│______________│__│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______│
│_____│__│______________│▒▒│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______>
│_____│__│______________│▒▒│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______>
│_____│▒▒│______________│▒▒│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______>
│_____│▒▒│______________│▒▒│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______>
│_____│▒▒│______________│▒▒│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______│
│_____│▒▒│______________│▒▒│_____│▒▒│_____│__│____ _│__│_____│__│_____│__│______│
│_____├──┤_____┌──┐_____└──┘_____├──┤_____├──┤____ _└──┘_____├──┤_____├──┤______│
│_____│OO│_____│OO│______________│OO│_____│MM│____ __________│OO│_____│OO│______│
│_____└──┘_____└──┘______________└──┘_____└──┘____ __________└──┘_____└──┘______│
│______37______________94<>94__100<>100___0<>0_____0<>0_____0<>0______0________│
│__<_Master_>Headphon___PCM_____Front___Front_Mi_Front_Mi_Surro und__Center_____│
└───────────────────────────────────────────────── ─────────────────────────────┘

(the spaces didn't want to format correctly)

System>Preferences>Sound does not list any HDMI outputs, and I've tried running tests using all the digital outputs in the drop-down menu with no luck.
Any other suggestions?

BicyclerBoy
August 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The alsamixer will not list any HDA HDMI devices because you don't have any..
You have mobo HDA Intel chipset soundcard/codecs...this could output over the chipset graphics HDMI connector.

You need a short cable to link the S/PDIF input (9800GT) to the mobo S/PDIF output header.
This cable would have shipped with your video card.
This HDMI audio method is well deprecated so you may have trouble finding the cable.

The cable could be the same as the old digital audio CDROM cable (from the past).

supportagent11
August 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Ah, I misunderstood the SPDIF pass-through as being a physical cable and not a software option. This is what I'm looking for then:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/600/2
I think I may have one in a box of spare parts somewhere...

BicyclerBoy
August 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Exactly..
Remember your pseudo-HDMI audio will only support the capabilities of S/PDIF:
2 ch PCM & matrix AC3/DTS 5.1 (digital pass-thru).

Your HDMI receiver has to support this as well. Most TVs work with 2ch PCM & AC3 over HDMI.

supportagent11
August 30th, 2011, 08:09 PM
According to the Gigabyte GA-G41MT-ES2L manual (http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_maunal_ga-g41mt-es2l_v1.1_e.pdf) (page 26), it appears I have a 6-ping SPDIF connector, and the generic instructions for eVGA video cards (http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/EVGA_GraphicsManual.pdf) (page 8) has instructions for plugging in a 2-pin SPDIF wire.
As it turns out, I did not receive the cable with my motherboard (it was an open-box return), so I may need to jury-rig something if I cannot find one...

BicyclerBoy
August 30th, 2011, 09:52 PM
The multi-pin S/PDIF header (mobo) has provision for powering the optical I/O bracket & an input.
You would want SPDIFOUT & GND.

The (2) pin connector (wiremount) may just be forced onto the right pins ?

Later mobos (GigaB H55) just have 2 separate headers (3 & 2 pin)
or 4 pin (with one pin missing ASUS P5Q P45).

supportagent11
August 31st, 2011, 12:01 AM
Success!
I was able to cut a 4-pin CD audio cable connector to fit the video card's 2-pin SPDIF slot, then booted the computer up and got audio through the TV without any additional configuration in Ubuntu.

Now i have to locate my wireless keyboard and mouse... Many thanks to BicyclerBoy for pointing me in the right direction.