PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia Graphics card wont work with Ubuntu

carrarin
August 27th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Hi everyone,

Im having some issues with my new laptop. Its got the Nvidia GeForce GT 540M Optimus enabled graphics card. It wasnt untill I bought the laptop that I noticed that the graphics didnt work to good.

I was wondering if someone out there on these forums have had the same problems with this graphics card and or know if there are any updates on this issue.

Anyways, ive noticed that my computer will randomly freeze ... i wont be able to move my mouse. And if there is music playing in the background it will start playing like a broken record.

Whats up with this? is this a graphics card issue, or is this something else?

Thanks, dudes

sandyd
August 27th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Im having some issues with my new laptop. Its got the Nvidia GeForce GT 540M Optimus enabled graphics card. It wasnt untill I bought the laptop that I noticed that the graphics didnt work to good.

I was wondering if someone out there on these forums have had the same problems with this graphics card and or know if there are any updates on this issue.

Anyways, ive noticed that my computer will randomly freeze ... i wont be able to move my mouse. And if there is music playing in the background it will start playing like a broken record.

Whats up with this? is this a graphics card issue, or is this something else?

Thanks, dudes

Did you check for propriety drivers for your card? Nouveau is sometimes a bit finicky with newer cards, and its better to use the propriety drivers.

CatKiller
August 27th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Not with Optimus, it isn't. Don't install the proprietary drivers, they won't work (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2183477&postcount=2).

As I understand it, Optimus doesn't currently work that well, although there is a project called Bumblebee (https://launchpad.net/%7Emj-casalogic/+archive/bumblebee/) that's working on it. Some people have reported some success with it.

carrarin
August 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM
OMFG THANK YOU!!!! I havent used ubuntu in over 3 weeks and Im beginning to die! Thank you!