PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need assistance with hybrid graphics

ad8bc
August 27th, 2011, 12:18 AM
A few months ago my Lenovo U460 laptop started overheating and abrubtly shutting down when it was set to use the discrete video card (Nvidia). This happened both in Windows 7 and Ubuntu. It worked fine when set to use the onboard Intel graphics chip. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to switch it to the onboard mode in Ubuntu (that was version 10).

Yesterday a tech came out and replaced my motherboard and video card. Nvidia graphics work much better both in Windows 7 and Ubuntu (now v11). But still, if I play a video long enough in Ubuntu it will overheat and shut down. I would like to now try to switch it over to the onboard Intel graphics.

I am somewhat new with Linux but I gave it the ol' college try.

I reviewed this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics). Step one was execute this command: grep -i switcheroo /boot/config-2.6.* and the result was
/boot/config-2.6.35-22-generic:CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO=y
/boot/config-2.6.38-10-generic:CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO=y

I assume the “y” means yes, the kernal is compiled to the correct version.

However, when I execute the second step (ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch) I get the following:
ls: cannot access /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory
This happens whether I use “sudo” or su -l or even a root login.

So... noting that the aforementioned webstite mentioned the “modeset=1” kernal option must be set, I found this site (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/), I followed the directions and the line was replaced with “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1"” and I did an “update-grub”.

Here's the weird thing. Then I was able to execute the commands in the first webpage to activate and switch the adapters. The commands executed but nothing happened. No screen flicker or nothing. I ran the command and pretended that it worked, just in case, and ran a long youtube video and it shut down after a few minutes.

Since then, I have not been able to run the switch commands (sudo, su -l, or root). I once again get the “No such file or directory”.

Any thoughts?