PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

The Llama
August 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hi, I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a few months back, and all was well, until I realized Ubuntu has no support for my iPod Nano 5th generation. I read on other forums that all earlier apple products comply with various Ubuntu music programs, the 5th generation Nano however...ZILCH! Apple really cranked down the closed source firmware on this one so I still have to use my family PC every once in a while to sync my iPod with iTunes on Windows Vista (which is a nuisance). I have tried every solution I could find on the internet... with no luck. Now I realize, it's not Ubuntu that messed this one up; it's APPLE. I could get a 4th generation and use that, but now I say, screw them I'm boycotting Apple products.

So, my question to you Ubuntu people: What is the best music player for Ubuntu? Be it...

Zen
Zune
Sony Walkman?

I'm looking for a music player that has a simple file storage format, so that I can simply copy my music from one folder on my laptop straight to the device. The music player should be available in a 16gb version and it should be able to sync with Banshee. What is the ideal Ubuntu music player?

sandyd
August 27th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Hi, I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a few months back, and all was well, until I realized Ubuntu has no support for my iPod Nano 5th generation. I read on other forums that all earlier apple products comply with various Ubuntu music programs, the 5th generation Nano however...ZILCH! Apple really cranked down the closed source firmware on this one so I still have to use my family PC every once in a while to sync my iPod with iTunes on Windows Vista (which is a nuisance). I have tried every solution I could find on the internet... with no luck. Now I realize, it's not Ubuntu that messed this one up; it's APPLE. I could get a 4th generation and use that, but now I say, screw them I'm boycotting Apple products.

So, my question to you Ubuntu people: What is the best music player for Ubuntu? Be it...

Zen
Zune
Sony Walkman?

I'm looking for a music player that has a simple file storage format, so that I can simply copy my music from one folder on my laptop straight to the device. The music player should be available in a 16gb version and it should be able to sync with Banshee. What is the ideal Ubuntu music player?
any device that support MSC.

And unless you want to update your mp3 player through Virtualbox, don't get the Zune.

Btw, you might be interested in picking one of the devices on here -> http://www.rockbox.org/

kerry_s
August 27th, 2011, 04:14 AM
i'd look for some kind of android device.
maybe this:
http://www.amazon.com/Archos-4-3-Inch-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B0042RRTOC/ref=pd_sim_e_6

IWantFroyo
August 27th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I recommend the Sanza Fuze. Scroll-wheel version.

The Llama
August 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for your answers so far, I was thinking of a Zune but now I can strike that one off my list. The Sony Walkman seems to be a good one for Ubuntu. I don't want to be spending over $120 so Archos is out :)

nothingspecial
August 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I would say a sansa product. You just drag and drop. Plus you can rockbox it..... or not. Plus you can use sd cards. I have a fancy expensive ipod and I have a sansa clip+. I use the clip.

sandyd
August 28th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I would say a sansa product. You just drag and drop. Plus you can rockbox it..... or not. Plus you can use sd cards. I have a fancy expensive ipod and I have a sansa clip+. I use the clip.
Get the sansa fuze. both the v1 and v2 versions will work. Rockbox it, and youll have an awesome media player that plays almost everything.

but NOT the sansa fuze+. The touchpad is unbelievably horrible.

VanR
August 28th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I own a Sansa Fuze also. I recommend it. Picked it up refurbished from tigerdirect.com for $29 last Christmas.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335569&CatId=4518

The Llama
August 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Rockbox it, and youll have an awesome media player that plays almost everything.

Will rockboxing it make it significantly better? I saw some videos for Rockbox on Youube and I'd like to know if I can remove the games, I just want a plain music player :)...With a shiny graphical interface obviously.

but NOT the sansa fuze+. The touchpad is unbelievably horrible.
From the reviews I've seen online, this is the first I've heard about the touchpad, could you elaborate? I must say I like the touchpad on my Nano :|

I own a Sansa Fuze also. I recommend it. Picked it up refurbished from tigerdirect.com for $29 last Christmas.

I may get that if I can get an extra memory card to go along. Does the memory card definitely work? My Music takes up about 8gb at the moment so I'm looking for a player with around 16gb :)

MartyBuntu
August 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have a Sansa Fuze v2 (Rockboxed) with an additional 16GB micro-SD card.

Works perfectly.

Rockbox is not about "shiny graphical interfaces", but I'll take longer battery life, reliability and the ability to play many formats over eye candy any day. Not that the Rockbox interface is ugly, but the glitzy GUI experience wears off after the first day.

The Llama
August 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I have a Sansa Fuze v2 (Rockboxed) with an additional 16GB micro-SD card.

Works perfectly.

Rockbox is not about "shiny graphical interfaces", but I'll take longer battery life, reliability and the ability to play many formats over eye candy any day. Not that the Rockbox interface is ugly, but the glitzy GUI experience wears off after the first day.
I'm not too stressed over the aesthetics either, as long as it works. Again though; can I remove the games and applications? they are a waste of memory for me.

MartyBuntu
August 28th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not too stressed over the aesthetics either, as long as it works. Again though; can I remove the games and applications? they are a waste of memory for me.

What games and applications? You mean in Rockbox?

I believe the entire Rockbox installation is less than 10MB.

The Llama
August 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
What games and applications? You mean in Rockbox?

I believe the entire Rockbox installation is less than 10MB.

In that case removing them wouldn't be too important, but just out of curiosity, can it be done? Is Rockbox customizable?

nothingspecial
August 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM
In that case removing them wouldn't be too important, but just out of curiosity, can it be done? Is Rockbox customizable?

Of course it is, it's open source.

As for the memory card thing, I have a few 32gig ones I keep diferent music on. Works fine.

The sansas will play ogg and flac etc without rockboxing them. And it's dual boot so you can boot whatever firmware.

The Llama
August 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Of course it is, it's open source.

As for the memory card thing, I have a few 32gig ones I keep diferent music on. Works fine.

The sansas will play ogg and flac etc without rockboxing them. And it's dual boot so you can boot whatever firmware.
Wow I really like the idea of having different music on different cards :o

Is it possible to have Rockbox running alone on the device? Dual boot sounds complicated for a music device and if Rockbox is all it's cracked up to be, there sholuld be no reason to keep the Sansas OS running on it.

MartyBuntu
August 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
The Rockbox bootloader boots Rockbox by default, so you need not worry, although you can customise it to your hearts desire.

egalvan
August 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Over the last year I've picked up eight 4GB Sansa Fuze for gifting.
I've also picked up two 8GB that I kept for myself.
They are all running great.
FM radio function is nice.
Picture function means you don't need to carry pix in your wallet.
You can even watch videos on them (decent quality screen)

MicroSD card slot is great.
I've used up to 16GB cards, but 4GB are cheap and you can buy a bunch and keep different music on them.
I also keep Old-Time Radio Shows on them.
Lone Ranger, Dragnet, **** Tracy, they are great to listen to.

And of course, Rock-Box'd, and attached to Linux Boxen.
And my Sister's Apple Box.

nothingspecial
August 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Wow I really like the idea of having different music on different cards :o

Is it possible to have Rockbox running alone on the device? Dual boot sounds complicated for a music device and if Rockbox is all it's cracked up to be, there sholuld be no reason to keep the Sansas OS running on it.

It's not complicated, it's how rockbox installs by default :)

The Llama
August 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Sansa Fuze & Rockbox it is! Thank you all for your replies my mind is pretty much made up based on your answers :)

MartyBuntu
August 28th, 2011, 10:56 PM
If possible, try and get the Fuze v2. It has a much longer runtime.

jacob lastman
November 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM
i use Ubuntu 10.10 (on my laptop ) and have just got a Archos 7 running Android 2.1 - plugged in fine.

i also have an iPod nano 2 gen -aargh-- which i rockboxed ...best thing i did